Window AC unit vs computer

Go to solution Solved by Wh0_Am_1,

If you turn it on, sure it could suddenly short circuit it depends on where the moisture got and what your relative humidity level is, I personally would leave it a lone for a few days if possible just in case it did get somewhere it could cause damage. Also that condensation likely appeared after you shut your computer and gave it a chance to cool down. So your computer is most likely fine, I just wouldn't recommend doing this again. 

Basically what I want to know is if ac units specially window stationed ones will affect your pc through condensation, now I already heard the hot beverage in cold weather analogy, so I went with it and used my ac on full blast while on my computer and after while I noticed fog appearing on the side glass, this was after I turned off the pc so I'm not sure if it could have or was there when it was on, I put the computer in the hottest room in my house and wiped off any fog I could. I didn't turn on my computer for like 6-8 hours after trying to make sure the condensation is completely gone and now im writing this as we speak, my pc isn't going to just short cicrut suddenly will it? and what can I do to avoid that and treat the situation if it happens again

If you turn it on, sure it could suddenly short circuit it depends on where the moisture got and what your relative humidity level is, I personally would leave it a lone for a few days if possible just in case it did get somewhere it could cause damage. Also that condensation likely appeared after you shut your computer and gave it a chance to cool down. So your computer is most likely fine, I just wouldn't recommend doing this again. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

40 minutes ago, Novicetechguy said:

Basically what I want to know is if ac units specially window stationed ones will affect your pc through condensation, now I already heard the hot beverage in cold weather analogy, so I went with it and used my ac on full blast while on my computer and after while I noticed fog appearing on the side glass, this was after I turned off the pc so I'm not sure if it could have or was there when it was on, I put the computer in the hottest room in my house and wiped off any fog I could. I didn't turn on my computer for like 6-8 hours after trying to make sure the condensation is completely gone and now im writing this as we speak, my pc isn't going to just short cicrut suddenly will it? and what can I do to avoid that and treat the situation if it happens again

Window ac is a heat pump/dehumidifier that condenses the water and drips it to the outside.  Look at an air conditioner sticking out of a given window.  There will be a drip line and a puddle.  That’s the water the AC pulled out of the air.  The big one imho with window ac is the pump is electric, large, and goes on and off automatically.  A computer on that same line will see power spikes and drops as the ac goes on and off. One thing you may want to check before getting too worried is is that fog on the inside or outside of the glass?  Even if the room is cold because of the AC, the inside of the box is going to be warmer not colder. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.