[PAYPAL] No Fees With My Transaction (Question)

Ya_Mi

So i am a private japanese tutor who charge $10 per hour and most of my students are Asian.

My primary currency is USD and PayPal always charge me 4.4% for the fee. But when i received money in USD, they didn't charge me anything. 

image.png.c887b97d076614d70a3506b22115fcf8.png

How come? i am not familiar with PayPal so someone please shed a light on this.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

As far as I know, the 4.4% Paypal fee is the fee of receiving payments. Just if you receive payments as a donation it won't take money. It depends too on if the payment is set to goods and products or family and friends. For the latter I believe there is no fee.

If your currency is USD and theirs too, there should be no fee. If the currency is different, Paypal charges a conversion fee every time.

I hope this helps a bit, as I'm not 100% sure about the exact details.

6 minutes ago, FRD said:

As far as I know, the 4.4% Paypal fee is the fee of receiving payments. Just if you receive payments as a donation it won't take money. It depends too on if the payment is set to goods and products or family and friends. For the latter I believe there is no fee.

If your currency is USD and theirs too, there should be no fee. If the currency is different, Paypal charges a conversion fee every time.

I hope this helps a bit, as I'm not 100% sure about the exact details.

How do we know that whether we send the money as family and friends? and about the currency, i have set my primary currency to SGD to receive SGD and PayPal still charge me for it. That's why i got so confused about it.

1 hour ago, Ya_Mi said:

How do we know that whether we send the money as family and friends? and about the currency, i have set my primary currency to SGD to receive SGD and PayPal still charge me for it. That's why i got so confused about it.

How to use PayPal Friends and Family—and how not to use it | ZipBooks

Picture from Google. This is what people see when they pay. The top one gives no fee, the bottom one says seller pays a fee. It's weird though, since the friends and family just applies to USA. I'm not sure, but I feel like Paypal's preferred currency is US Dollars and somehow they don't charge fee for it. Otherwise I see no logic either. My European friend who uses Paypal normally uses Euro, but his Paypal is automatically set to USD as primary currency.

It is confusing, sorry if my answer is not really clear as this is also new for me.

3 hours ago, FRD said:

How to use PayPal Friends and Family—and how not to use it | ZipBooks

Picture from Google. This is what people see when they pay. The top one gives no fee, the bottom one says seller pays a fee. It's weird though, since the friends and family just applies to USA. I'm not sure, but I feel like Paypal's preferred currency is US Dollars and somehow they don't charge fee for it. Otherwise I see no logic either. My European friend who uses Paypal normally uses Euro, but his Paypal is automatically set to USD as primary currency.

It is confusing, sorry if my answer is not really clear as this is also new for me.

That's the thing, i am not from USA but the person who sent the money is from USA.

Hmm, i'll talk to my student about it.

Thanks for the info

2 hours ago, The Unknown Voice said:

I would contact PayPal, to see what fees it is collecting.

Contact Page: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us

If you are doing this as a business, the fees being collected would be good information.

Already did, waiting for the answer from them