Windows unable to connect to update service

iajadsfa

My Windows 10 install recently borked itself while I was waking it from sleep corrupting it beyond repair. To "fix it" I had to do an in place upgrade. The in place upgrade fixed many of the issues such as sound and time. It didn't fix everything however. I cannot for some reason, use windows update. It gives me an error that windows cannot connect to update service. I have tried many different fixes including more in place upgrades and complete resets of windows. I know it's not my internet because I have a linux dual boot with a windows vm on that updates perfectly fine. I am not satisfied with the cpu overhead on the windows vm so I am trying desperately to fix this issue. i am at a loss as to what to do. If there is no fix I may just delete the entire windows partition and start over. I know that will rest my license and I would rather not troubleshoot that. I have tried everything. Help!

1 hour ago, iajadsfa said:

My Windows 10 install recently borked itself while I was waking it from sleep corrupting it beyond repair. To "fix it" I had to do an in place upgrade. The in place upgrade fixed many of the issues such as sound and time. It didn't fix everything however. I cannot for some reason, use windows update. It gives me an error that windows cannot connect to update service. I have tried many different fixes including more in place upgrades and complete resets of windows. I know it's not my internet because I have a linux dual boot with a windows vm on that updates perfectly fine. I am not satisfied with the cpu overhead on the windows vm so I am trying desperately to fix this issue. i am at a loss as to what to do. If there is no fix I may just delete the entire windows partition and start over. I know that will rest my license and I would rather not troubleshoot that. I have tried everything. Help!

Hard to know if that is internal to your machine or something to do with the connection to your computer.  The path from the innards of your PC to Cupertino is a long one and goes through a lot of junctions.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

check if update service is running, if not set it to automatic and restart it. Also reboot pc in that case.

1 hour ago, iajadsfa said:

I may just delete the entire windows partition and start over. I know that will rest my license and I would rather not troubleshoot that.

windows license is stored on your motherboard.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

check if update service is running, if not set it to automatic and restart it. Also reboot pc in that case.

I have restarted the update service and even reset the folder that all the data is stored in

23 hours ago, iajadsfa said:

know that will rest my license

If you sign in with a Microsoft account your license should be associated with it. The Windows 10 license I use was associated with my old Windows 7 install. I did the free upgrade. I have transferred this license to a new machine. So, you should not have issues there. ALSO Windows 10 does have a built in recovery manager. You can access it by holding shift and restarting the computer. I would choose the option that deletes all files and does a full reinstall. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 7/26/2021 at 5:02 PM, Donut417 said:

If you sign in with a Microsoft account your license should be associated with it. The Windows 10 license I use was associated with my old Windows 7 install. I did the free upgrade. I have transferred this license to a new machine. So, you should not have issues there. ALSO Windows 10 does have a built in recovery manager. You can access it by holding shift and restarting the computer. I would choose the option that deletes all files and does a full reinstall. 

I was going to do a full reinstall next. The problem is the hassle of making sure windows doesn't also delete the data on my other drives which I am sharing between my original windows install and my linux dual boot plus I have a windows vm that also has access to the drives. I will try at my earliest convenience