Updating Official Windows 10 USB drive

SimplyChunk
Go to solution Solved by m9x3mos,
On 7/25/2021 at 7:19 PM, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

that's what i was thinking.  What a waste

What I typically suggest doing to everyone is to get a USB 3.0 32 gb flash drive and setting up ventoy on it. Then you just drag and drop the iso images on it for anything you want to boot. Works on both legacy systems and uefi with secure boot (just need to add their key). And they have great instructions on their site. It's free and a great time saver. 

As the title suggests.  I'd LIKE to update the windows version that is on my official USB that came with my purchase of Windows 10 umpteen millenia ago.

Is it possible?

things i've tried so far:

Using media creation tool.  That errors out complaining about read only media in drive.

Using Rufus to create an image from ISO.  That errors out with an I/O warning.

Just using Rufus to format the damned thing.  That errors out with the same nonsense.

Using Windows to format the ignorant little aluminium sh*te.  Windows just kicks it's feet up on to the table, chuckles to itself and says "No" removing it's left hand from it's brow.

Any suggestions?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

I routinely do this with the official media creation tool. I just point it to the drive and it just works. 

Wipe the drive first? Use a different drive?

Just now, rickeo said:

I routinely do this with the official media creation tool. I just point it to the drive and it just works. 

Wipe the drive first? 

I said i already tried that

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

I said i already tried that

Ok, so the problem is really with your USB flash drive and this really doesn't have anything to do with putting Windows on it. 

So, forget Windows for the moment. Fresh format, this drive shows up correctly in Windows with a drive letter and you can put data on it and pull it back off? Disk Management displaying it correctly?

Just now, rickeo said:

Ok, so the problem is really with your USB flash drive and this really doesn't have anything to do with putting Windows on it. 

So, forget Windows for the moment. Fresh format, this drive shows up correctly in Windows with a drive letter and you can put data on it and pull it back off? Disk Management displaying it correctly?

Prehaps i didn't make it clear.  I want to use the OFFICIAL usb drive that came with my retail copy of windows 10.  Yes it works.  I've used it recently to install Windows 10 on another machine.  However it was so old i had to wait about 4 days for it to catch up to the current version

Those are read only usb sticks, so you can't update the image on them. Just use any other usb stick and use that for the installer.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Those are read only usb sticks, so you can't update the image on them. Just use any other usb stick and use that for the installer.

On 7/25/2021 at 7:19 PM, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

What I typically suggest doing to everyone is to get a USB 3.0 32 gb flash drive and setting up ventoy on it. Then you just drag and drop the iso images on it for anything you want to boot. Works on both legacy systems and uefi with secure boot (just need to add their key). And they have great instructions on their site. It's free and a great time saver. 

1 hour ago, m9x3mos said:

I'll check it out.  Thank you