Getting much higher CPU temp swings with new AIO...why??

RooTs57

So I just transferred my build into an 011 mini and due to space, I needed to replace my 360 AIO with a 280 and for some reason my i7-10700K temps are fluctuating much more than before.  I was using an ID-Cooling Auraflow 360 and my CPU temps never went above about 60-65C under load and it ran very stable.  I got an Alpenfohn 280 AIO to fit the side panel of the 011 mini, I know its an odd one for the US market but its supposedly a very good cooler, and for what its worth is sponsored by DerBauer (Alpenfohn is a German company) and came with Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut paste. And at first my temps were spiking upwards of 90+ randomly.  I thought it was some air trapped in the pump so I rotated my pc while running in a way to get any air out and it did help, but I still get crazy up and down temp spikes that reach 75-80C, even at idle.  This is way different behavior than before and don't understand why.  I remounted it twice already being careful to mount it evenly.  I know the temps are still not dangerous, but its just so different than before.  This is the only hardware that is new apart from the case and Dominator RAM.  I have 9 QL fans with slightly more aggressive curves than stock so airflow shouldn't be the problem.  Any suggestions as to why this may be happening?  Here's a pic of my setup:

https://imgur.com/hsAXPtS

other specs:

i7-10700K

Gigabyte 3080 Ti Vision

Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Elite AC

Cooler Master SFX V850 PSU

8 minutes ago, RooTs57 said:

Here's a pic of my setup

Besides that you losing about 300cm2 of cooling space, the fact that you put the fan intake to the wall doesnt help the AIO to get cool air either.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Going from a 360 to a 280, your temps are going to higher regardless. SFF doesn't help either. You've got a 350W GPU dumping hot air into a small case with limited air flow to begin with, which is another problem. Add to that that the O11 doesn't have the most awesome airflow in any form factor, and you've pretty much got a perfect storm for bad temps.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I understand that the case is much smaller than my old Corsair 570X, but the AIO fans are still set to intake, and I have an AC blowing cold air right at the wall into the intake, plus the temps don't seem to change much at all if I take the two glass panels off, so it still doesn't make such sense, apart from the radiator size, can going from a 360 to a 280 make that much of a difference?

A few issues I would check for is to check and make sure the cooler is seated properly and making solid contact with the CPU. Secondly, make sure the pump is running on the AIO, the pump requires separate power. Also, see if your fans are plugged into the CPU header if you are able to plug them in there.

Considering you're getting 75-80 C at idle, the cooler probably isn't making proper contact with the heat spreader.

I would suggest mounting your old 360mm aio back to the cpu and see what temps are like first.

Even if it doesn't fit in the case just lay it outside for a quick test.

If temps are fine with the 360mm then you can rule the 280mm aio as being defective.

6 minutes ago, Kpwn3r said:

A few issues I would check for is to check and make sure the cooler is seated properly and making solid contact with the CPU. Secondly, make sure the pump is running on the AIO, the pump requires separate power. Also, see if your fans are plugged into the CPU header if you are able to plug them in there.

Considering you're getting 75-80 C at idle, the cooler probably isn't making proper contact with the heat spreader.

This is a good point but OP said they remounted it twice so it would be kinda hard to get it wrong 3 times + you can check your thermal paste spread from the last mount.

I think I'm leaning towards a pump issue.

I know I'm mounting it right, I'm a machinist and an engineer, can't imagine I got it wrong 3x, I build the rest of this thing, but I don't know much about pc's, just got into it earlier this year.  I keep thinking its a pump issue too, but the pump RPMs look normal when running, it ramps up to 100% when it spikes, and it goes back down to idle when its cool.  Does that mean that the pump is operating right or am I just getting the readings the pump should be running at?   The pump is for sure plugged into the CPU_OPT header and the AIO fans are in the CPU_FAN header.  I enabled pump fail alert in the bios too.  I am def gonna try putting the old 360 AIO back in to see if I get good temps with it.

Thanks guys!!