How bad are my crimes against good sound?

techswede

Soo. I bought some Koss on ear headphones to use during my self study classes at uni

Now i've heard people rage against skullcandy and beats headphones but not on Koss.

Just thought i'd check with you audio guys if i've committed any audio crimes

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH  <-- These are what im getting (but in black) (and much. much cheaper)

sea3909_11_zps42749938.jpg

I got them since i can't stand In-ears and over ears are way too bulky for the intended use. And they are open so i can kinda hear what's going on around me.

So what i want to ask is

For the 28 bucks i spent on them. 

Are they overpriced for the performance i'll be getting?

How much of a dick will i look with them around my neck/on my head?

Will this guy come after me?

Thoughts? 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

You will look like you're missing your butt-buddy a little (at least around where I am), but they don't really offer very great sound half of the time.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You will look like you're missing your butt-buddy a little (at least around where I am), but they don't really offer very great sound half of the time.

I knew there was some kind of stigma against koss!... I just couldn't put my finger on it  <_<

Well.. At least i got them cheaply.. And they're gonna be powered by a phones audio jack so i wasn't expecting the performance of my home stereo anyways :/

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I knew there was some kind of stigma against koss!... I just couldn't put my finger on it  <_<

Well.. At least i got them cheaply.. And they're gonna be powered by a phones audio jack so i wasn't expecting the performance of my home stereo anyways :/

Nothing against Koss, just those style of headphones.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Nothing against Koss, just those style of headphones.

So this style of over ear signals that im gay in michigan? 

Or is it more of an international Mazda miata kind of situation? 

-snip-

That specific headphone is pretty good for the price. However, Koss in general is usually not something we recommend but that headphone comes up once in a while. 

:huh: 

Koss makes great cheap headphones. They're some of the best price-to-performance products you can find. 

That specific headphone is pretty good for the price. However, Koss in general is usually not something we recommend but that headphone comes up once in a while. 

We don't recommend them often because they're cheap and people would scoff at us if we did, not because there is anything wrong with them.

So this style of over ear signals that im gay in michigan? 

Or is it more of an international Mazda miata kind of situation? 

More like the Marysville schools area.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

:huh:

Koss makes great cheap headphones. They're some of the best price-to-performance products you can find. 

We don't recommend them often because they're cheap and people would scoff at us if we did, not because there is anything wrong with them.

I am starting to feel a bit better about my purchase :) 

More like the Marysville schools area.

I won't wear them there then  ;)

Update on the headphones.

Just got em in the mail today.

I put them on and i was really expecting a meh sound from them. 

But now i am in shock. 

They're bloody good these things! 

Not too bassy and not too flat. They are damn near orchestral :D

Coupled with my phone they range from a nice low background volume all the way up to a live concert level. 

And it's not a painfull experience at the top end either. 

Most bad audio solutions will hurt your ears at the higher volumes but a good one will not.

First impressions is an 8,5/10! 

Koss is a great value brand. If you want to try something else out from them, their KSC75 clip-ons are excellent. Never seen them on Amazon for more than $15 USD.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Koss is a great value brand. If you want to try something else out from them, their KSC75 clip-ons are excellent. Never seen them on Amazon for more than $15 USD.

... :/ missed those.. Those would've been almost perfect.

Oh well. i've got these now :)

Those specific koss headphones as well as the sportapro version and ksc75 clip on earphones that use the same drivers are actually very good. Most other koss headphones I've listened too are pretty terrible though, even the more expensive ones. The portapros will probably sound "better" to most people than the clip on version because they provide a better seal which emphasizes the bass and allows for lower volume to be used which may also be a plus for your situation since they leak sound tremendously.

Those specific koss headphones as well as the sportapro version and ksc75 clip on earphones that use the same drivers are actually very good. Most other koss headphones I've listened too are pretty terrible though, even the more expensive ones. The portapros will probably sound "better" to most people than the clip on version because they provide a better seal which emphasizes the bass and allows for lower volume to be used which may also be a plus for your situation since they leak sound tremendously.

Yeah they do leak a good bit of sound. That's the ,5 off the first impression score :/ But at low volumes they should work well during self study classes. 

But i like the open design. I always enjoy being able to hear what's going on around me too  :)

I didn't experience any different in bass response with the KSC75 when I pressed them up on my ears, probably because they're an open headphone.

You can always bend the clips. A lot of people who buy KSC75s do that. You'll get more bass if you bend them to fit like a pair of glasses.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510