HD560S VS X2HR?

Leek Soup

Hello, I am looking to buy my first audiophile headphones. I am looking for something open back and wired. I have narrowed it down to either the Sennheiser HD560S or the Philips Fidelio X2HR. They are both similar prices in my country (Rep. of Ireland). I do not have any other audio equipment (AMPs or DACs). Which do you think I should go for? Also, let me know if you have any other suggestions for open back headphones in this price range. 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

What kind of music do you listen to?

I listen primarily to alternative rock (Radiohead) and metal (Iron Maiden) . I will also be using them for gaming, but the sound quality for gaming does not really matter to me because anything will be better than the shitty speaker I am using now. Thanks for the reply.

26 minutes ago, Leek Soup said:

I listen primarily to alternative rock (Radiohead) and metal (Iron Maiden) . I will also be using them for gaming, but the sound quality for gaming does not really matter to me because anything will be better than the shitty speaker I am using now. Thanks for the reply.

I would say X2HR

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

In my opinion the HD560S' are the better option for you @Leek Soup, since they have a flatter frequency response in comparison to the Fidelio X2HR's slight V shape. The Fidelio's do have wider soundstage, however the HD560S' image better. I find that the HD560S provide a more classical audiophile sound signature, which is what you are looking for. They should work VERY well for listening to rock and metal and also gaming 🙂.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will take this information into consideration. 

15 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

I would say X2HR

14 minutes ago, gal-m said:

In my opinion the HD560S' are the better option for you @Leek Soup, since they have a flatter frequency response in comparison to the Fidelio X2HR's slight V shape. The Fidelio's do have wider soundstage, however the HD560S' image better. I find that the HD560S provide a more classical audiophile sound signature, which is what you are looking for. They should work VERY well for listening to rock and metal and also gaming 🙂.

I'll sum up my listening experience with both of these headphones like this @Leek Soup:

• Highs: more detailed and defined on the HD560S'
  • Mids: more detailed and defined on the HD560S' which gives a clearer (sharper) impression of the music
  • Lows: less "push", but equally defined on the HD560S' in comparison to the X2HR's
  • Soundstage: wider with the X2HR's
  • Imaging: better instrument positional awareness on the HD560S'
  • Comfort: I personally found the HD560S' a bit more comfortable due to their lighter weight
  • Build Quality: The X2HR's feel more premium, while the HD560S', like most Sennheiser HD500 and 600 series headphones, felt a bit meh, however don't let that fool you - these cans can and will take a LOT of abuse (speaking from experience)

Overall: the HD560S' are a more versatile headphone due to their neutrality, which can make them sound a bit dull and boring. The X2HR's sound more exciting overall, however objectively more colored - you may prefer this type of sound signature if you plan to watch a lot of movies as well. The HD560S' sport a more audiophile type of sound signature and can in turn be used to listen to most music, while remaining more truthful. The X2HR's are a bit naughty and fun sacrificing clarity and imaging for a bit of low end rumble and spatial impression.

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

I'll sum up my listening experience with both of these headphones like this @Leek Soup:

• Highs: more detailed and defined on the HD560S'
  • Mids: more detailed and defined on the HD560S' which gives a clearer (sharper) impression of the music
  • Lows: less "push", but equally defined on the HD560S' in comparison to the X2HR's
  • Soundstage: wider with the X2HR's
  • Imaging: better instrument positional awareness on the HD560S'
  • Comfort: I personally found the HD560S' a bit more comfortable due to their lighter weight
  • Build Quality: The X2HR's feel more premium, while the HD560S', like most Sennheiser HD500 and 600 series headphones, felt a bit meh, however don't let that fool you - these cans can and will take a LOT of abuse (speaking from experience)

Overall: the HD560S' are a more versatile headphone due to their neutrality, which can make them sound a bit dull and boring. The X2HR's sound more exciting overall, however objectively more colored - you may prefer this type of sound signature if you plan to watch a lot of movies as well. The HD560S' sport a more audiophile type of sound signature and can in turn be used to listen to most music, while remaining more truthful. The X2HR's are a bit naughty and fun sacrificing clarity and imaging for a bit of low end rumble and spatial impression.

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to type this!

Just now, Leek Soup said:

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to type this!

No problem @Leek Soup, I'd STRONGLY advise you to try and listen to both pairs in person if possible 🙂

Both are great btw, so don't worry about it too much!

4 hours ago, Leek Soup said:

So that really depends the 560s I really like for alt rock does good mids and really nails the whistling parts in new alt rock. But the imaging can be wonky so in games i'm hesitant to reccomend it. The finedelio does a better job in games also much more forgiving for metal which is more often than not badly produced.