Why are 7 threads the most active ones?

I get that some cores are better than others, and so the CPU will favor them, but I'm finding that 7 threads in particular are being used more often than the others when I'm in Windows. I would've expected 4, 6, or 8, but 7 is weird to me. That means that at least one core is only given work on one thread, and it's always the same thread.

I'm just curious if anyone has an explanation for what I'm seeing. It obviously isn't a problem, but it struck me as odd.

Is this just an odd quirk of my CPU? Can SMT favor a particular thread path? Is this a Windows thing to primarily use 7 threads of a CPU?

busybois.png

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I get that some cores are better than others, and so the CPU will favor them, but I'm finding that 7 threads in particular are being used more often than the others when I'm in Windows. I would've expected 4, 6, or 8, but 7 is weird to me. That means that at least one core is only given work on one thread, and it's always the same thread.

I'm just curious if anyone has an explanation for what I'm seeing. It obviously isn't a problem, but it struck me as odd.

Is this just an odd quirk of my CPU? Can SMT favor a particular thread path? Is this a Windows thing to primarily use 7 threads of a CPU?

busybois.png

i know it may sound stupid but i think my friend experiences a similar thing using his 3090 i dont know if its related or not? i see that u have an rtx card is it a 3090 though?

Cause windows scheduler is weird.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, Lyrix_m said:

i know it may sound stupid but i think my friend experiences a similar thing using his 3090 i dont know if its related or not? i see that u have an rtx card is it a 3090 though?

RTX 2060 Super - I'm waiting on GPU prices to normalize before I upgrade.

I was using Nvidia Broadcast during a Skype call, so the GPU was working and using RTX features.

I lack the word goodness to explain at the moment. It's optimization so that the fastest most best cores on your cpu are the first ones used, so for loads that don't load almost all of the cpu it will use the same best operating cores/threads. With Ryzen boosting behavior it means a little better performance.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

My Xeon does the same thing. Of its 32 threads, sometimes 4-16 of them will be at really high usage. Not exactly sure why, but I think Windows "assigns" less demanding tasks (such as background processes, eg. email) to specific threads with lower usage.

I usually have 0.1% usage on all cores when idling,

I think that the bloatware on your system is doing that.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

It’s possible I suppose, that on your specific chip thread 7 is the one that throws the most ghz for the least heat, so it’s the one windows uses hardest.  It might also just be a windows weirdness and it doesn’t pay attention to that stuff.  I don’t know.  I understand that AMD chips are known to do that though so it wouldn’t surprise me if intel didn’t too.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I usually have 0.1% usage on all cores when idling,

I think that the bloatware on your system is doing that.

I was in a Skype call, while using OBS and Nvidia Broadcast to frame the camera. I just installed Windows 4 days ago; there is no bloatware on the system.

By "in Windows" I just meant not in games, where the core usage is different.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

I just installed Windows 4 days ago; there is no bloatware on the system.

The thing is that Windows now days comes with lots of bloatware out of the box and it runs in the background using system resources.

That's why tools like Windows 10 Debloater exist:

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566