Looking at the Keychron K6 I have questions

Donut417

Im looking to replace my aging Blackwidow Keyboard (Cherry MX Blue Model) with the Keychron K6. I have a few questions however.

1. How do the Gateron Switches compared to Cherry? I head they were a direct clone, so I Should expect a similar experience? 
  2. What are the LK Optical Switches and how do they compare? 

Next is a question about keycaps. From what I have read Gateron's being a clone of cherry means that keycaps that work for Cherry should work on Gateron Keyboards? Also does anyone know where I can get some custom modifier key caps that have Mac and Windows layouts? 

Part of the reason Im looking at this keyboard is due to the fact it has a removable USB cable, it has Bluetooth which might come in handy as I use my keyboard between multiple computers and I have noticed some issues with the USB switcher and my current keyboard. The Next thing is the smaller layout, Im trying to downside my keyboard a bit. 

Other recommendations are welcome. I got a bonus at work plus a 3% raise so I figure Id get myself something nice. The requirements for the keyboard are as follows.

1. 65% layout
  2. backlit (single color fine, RGB fine) 
  3. Mac OS and Windows modifier keys (as in the key is printed with the Mac layout on top and the Windows layout on the side of the key or vis versa) or Im cool with buying a 3rd party set that works
  4. Budget is about $150, but I could spend more and im happily fine spending less as at some point I need a new chair as well. 
  5. Located in the US. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1. Yep

2. Can't give input, haven't tried em

I have a K6, first non "GAMER" keyboard I bought and was happy with it. Only gripe was that on bluetooth the sleep timer was quick. I think it was 60 seconds iirc.

I did buy a separate set if keycaps as well. The stock one's are ABS and feel quite thin.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

did buy a separate set if keycaps as well. The stock one's are ABS and feel quite thin.

Ive been looking everywhere I cant find one with Mac and PC layouts. I cant believe Im not the only one who uses a keyboard between two machines. 

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I think it was 60 seconds iirc.

Im going to take it this is if you dont have a device connected? Or if it doesn't sense input does it go to sleep? 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Ive been looking everywhere I cant find one with Mac and PC layouts. I cant believe Im not the only one who uses a keyboard between two machines.

Bought it for the same reason. Came across the same issue- where the K6 ended up being the solution

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Im going to take it this is if you dont have a device connected? Or if it doesn't sense input does it go to sleep?

Yeah, so if it's just on the bluetooth mode, it will sleep after x amount of time. Regardless if it was plugged in or not. I haven't used it in a while, so there may have been a FW update that fixed that.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

where the K6 ended up being the solution

Did you find keycaps with the modifiers for each OS on them, like both the Mac and Windows modifiers printed on the same keycap? Thats my problem. I dont know the Mac key layout that great. Im trying to find keycaps that have lets say the Mac Layout on the top and the Windows layout on the fronts facing me. This way Im never confused about what key is for what. I dont want to have to change Keycaps every time I switch machines. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Did you find keycaps with the modifiers for each OS on them, like both the Mac and Windows modifiers printed on the same keycap? Thats my problem. I dont know the Mac key layout that great. Im trying to find keycaps that have lets say the Mac Layout on the top and the Windows layout on the fronts facing me. This way Im never confused about what key is for what. I dont want to have to change Keycaps every time I switch machines. 

Should be able to, I know my last two sets I've bought come with a command key

Regrdless, what you can do is just set command in macos to be the windows key. It will register a profile for that keyboard device.

Just now, Slottr said:

Regrdless, what you can do is just set command in macos to be the windows key. It will register a profile for that keyboard device.

I know that, the issue is I dont remember what keys were set to what. I literally just started using MacOS a year ago. I dont know the key layout or the keyboard short cuts. Which is why I want both Mac and PC layouts on the same keycaps. Because knowing what keys do what in each OS could work. This is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the keyboard as I cant find a solution and I think it stupid that one doesnt exist. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

The answer with Keychron is always, just buy it.

My Slim K3 with black optical switches has simply been amazing.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The answer with Keychron is always, just buy it.

IF I can find the required keycaps I will. But I dont think it exists. Which kinda pisses me off. 

21 hours ago, Streetguru said:

optical switches

Whats the difference between Optical and Mechanical? 

Ill just run the Mac layout I guess. I trying to figure out if the RGB backlight is worth it. What about the the aluminum frame? Is it worth it? 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Whats the difference between Optical and Mechanical? 

Ill just run the Mac layout I guess. I trying to figure out if the RGB backlight is worth it. What about the the aluminum frame? Is it worth it? 

Aluminum is probably always worth it.

The optical switches should have a better lifespan and response time, but just double check that they're cherry compatible, the non slim ones should be fine.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?