5600X-6800XT-750W PSU power shutdowns playling Cyberpunk

mactipiak

(low quality hologram) "Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope!"

Hi everyone, 

I have my config for a few months, I've been hoping that every patch, driver update will fix my issue, but I have power shutdowns when I play Cyberpunk, and it's tiring.

Here is my config:

AMD 5600X, runs in a small OC mode from my motherboard (with boosted 76W power limit) cooled by a Liquid Freezze II 240mm

MSI X470 Gaming plus Max (Rated as 'barely made it to Tier C' is the MoBo tier list)

ASUS TUF 6800XT (Thanks to LTT store drops, will always thank those guys)

Crucial 16 GB 3600 MHz, XMP on.

Seasonic Focus GX 80 Plus Gold 750 Watts PSU (I was originally planning on getting a 3070, so the PSU is a bit tight, yet still within specs by Seasonic) (It's a Tier A single rail PSU in the PSU tier list thread) 

When I play the game, I'm in the low-mid 60° on both GPU and CPU.

GPU is pulling around 200-235 W from what I see in Afterburner.

Randomly (it can happen after 5 minutes, 20min, 2h or 6h, and sometimes driving, sometimes shooting, sometimes walking, or looting. I can't pinpoint something I do that causes it.) screen goes black, sound freezes for half a second and PC tries to reboot.

As it tries to reboot, the EZ Debug LEDs give me a VGA fault.

Pressing the reset button does the same.

Hold power to turn off, turn back on, and it boots like nothing happened.

Relaunch the game, play like everything is fine, roll a D20 every 20 minutes, on a fumble: shutdown PC (that's only what it feels like at least)

I'm on the latest MoBo BIOS

I'm on the latest GPU drivers

I'm on the latest Chipset drivers

I'm up-to-date on windows updates

I'm patched on Cyberpunk (Epic game store)

As the tier list was mentioning that:

[1] Units experiencing tripping issues with high transient power draw GPUs like AMD Vega and high-end nVidia Ampere. Includes Seasonic Focus based units made prior to Jan 2018, source.
The link doesn' twork anymore, but my PSU came with a note saying that material elements are removed to fight the effoorts against Covid 19 to build PPEs, so unless we have a massive conspiracy by seasonic, throwing a worldwide pandemic to sell PC parts, I assume it got made after March-ish 2020)

I did find this similar FAQ entry: False Anti-surge Shutdown Issue - Seasonic Knowledge Base

And I did make sure power management of the motherboard was OFF. 

As It is single rail, I suppose all the CPU/PCI-E plugs at the back of the PSU (they are identical) have noo real difference in which go to the CPU/ To the GPU?

I'm using one 8 pin CPU, one 4pin CPU, and 2 unique cables foor the GPU -rather than use the pigtail)

I don't have similar issues in Vermintide 2, Borderlands 2 or 3, Control (though DX12 mode soft crashes constantly, I play DX11 mode)

I don't have many games that push this PC so hard. (I should get game pass for flightsim, but my poor internet connection will hate the download)

Who should I contact in your opinion? 

Seasonic because of the power shutdowns?

Asus because of the VGA EZ Debug LED status?

I don't have PC enthusiast friends aaround here so I can't simply swap parts.

I have a GTX 970 but it won't put a load similar to the 6800XT.

The other PSU I have is a 650W with only a 6+8 pin arrangement.

Do I just give up and buy a new PSU (850+ watts?)

Sorry for the massive post. 😅

Advice/questions welcome on where to start troubleshooting!

Thanks!

it doesn't sound like OCP is kicking in, as that would usually cut power straight away. Try running stress tests on both the gpu and cpu simultaneously (e.g. prime 95 & furmark) to see if it occurs outside of cyberpunk.  

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

On 7/18/2021 at 1:56 PM, Lemtea said:

it doesn't sound like OCP is kicking in, as that would usually cut power straight away. Try running stress tests on both the gpu and cpu simultaneously (e.g. prime 95 & furmark) to see if it occurs outside of cyberpunk.  

Hey Lemtea,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm just out of a 30 min stress test, Prime95 pegging the CPU to 100% -only one core going a bit everywhere in terms of usage) and furmark 1080p MSAA 8x to go at 97-99% GPU usage.

GPU chart

dNXou8M.png

CPU chart (a couple of 100% threads below that we can't see)

E9cCtkJ.png

CPU clocks:

CTY7ihd.png

Flawless, in spite of rather hot temps in Ireland currently (26-27-ish° ambient, a joke for Australia probably, but not so common here)

Power stayed around 275 W on the GPU all the way, 75 on the CPU.

V1cbKpe.png

Should I leave this much longer?

The MSI afterburner chart is after around 20 minutes, but no real change in the next 10 min after that.

Just launched cyberpunk, took a screenshot of the usage/power:

2jBjUVC.png

Uploaded it, started typing here and the PC shutdown while CP2077 in background task

The game was on like, 5 minutes... I'm usually at 62-64° on long play sessions so it didn't even reach equilibrium yet.

Similar load on Borderlands 3, no issue though.

iRZ5lVA.png

@mactipiakThanks for the screenshots, I would say it looks like a gpu/driver issue as it seems to only occur in cyberpunk which appears to pull less power (ruling out a PSU issue).  Are there any known issue/fixes for 6800XT's in cyberpunk? Maybe try underclocking the gpu a little (-100mhz core/mem), the fact that the screen goes black points towards a graphics driver crash.

PS it's winter over here in AU, 27 °C would be great weather. 

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO