Xbox 360 media remote cleaning help

Kanna

So I have this pretty nasty Xbox 360 media remote and I want to clean it but I don't know what would work best on the buttons without removing the text

20210714_190309.jpg

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Might try a mix of baking soda and water. Take the remote apart and let the non electrical components soak in it overnight, then scrub and rinse. As long as you have a good amount of baking soda in the mix it will soak up all the oils in the remote. Its an old trick but I still use it on occasion. Good luck! 🙂 

4 minutes ago, CWALD said:

Might try a mix of baking soda and water. Take the remote apart and let the non electrical components soak in it overnight, then scrub and rinse. As long as you have a good amount of baking soda in the mix it will soak up all the oils in the remote. Its an old trick but I still use it on occasion. Good luck! 🙂 

Warning: when you scrub, just use dish soap and water. The baking soda is abrasive and may damage your printed logos/icons

9 minutes ago, CWALD said:

Umm so about that I don't know how I would open it

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

9 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Umm so about that I don't know how I would open it

If not that's fine, try coating a q tip in isopropyl alcohol and rubbing it between the buttons with the remote held either upside down or at least at a 90 degree angle, but opening it would be better.

Never had one of these exact remotes but there may be screws in the battery cover, run a screwdriver around the edges between the molding of the 2 halves (starting at the LED on the front is a good place to start) and it should pop the faceplate or the back off depending on where the PCB is screwed to. Then take the PCB out and soak all the plastic parts as the previous comment said

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

If not that's fine, try coating a q tip in isopropyl alcohol and rubbing it between the buttons with the remote held either upside down or at least at a 90 degree angle

I did think about isopropyl alcohol but I was wondering if it would rub off the text

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

I did think about isopropyl alcohol but I was wondering if it would rub off the text

Should be fine as long as you don't rub it in on the top of the buttons. I edited my previous post with how to hopefully get it apart too.

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

If not that's fine, try coating a q tip in isopropyl alcohol and rubbing it between the buttons with the remote held either upside down or at least at a 90 degree angle, but opening it would be better.

Never had one of these exact remotes but there may be screws in the battery cover, run a screwdriver around the edges between the molding of the 2 halves (starting at the LED on the front is a good place to start) and it should pop the faceplate or the back off depending on where the PCB is screwed to. Then take the PCB out and soak all the plastic parts as the previous comment said

The thing is the rubber is the most dirty thing could I put those in a little bottle with soap and just leave there?

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

The thing is the rubber is the most dirty thing could I put those in a little bottle with soap and just leave there?

You could, I'd recommend putting it in some warm (27 C-ish) water, not too hot so that it melts. Mix some dish soap in, swish it every 15 minutes or so for probably 2 hours? You could also manually scrub the rubber sheet in that mixture if it's really dirty. (I'm assuming it's one big sheet of rubber pads and not individual buttons, as most remotes are)

19 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

agreed, if you can't get it open then rubbing alcohol is much safer for electronics but it may not get the yellow out of the buttons. break cleaner will also do it bit it will also get rid of your logos/icons

1 minute ago, CWALD said:

agreed, if you can't get it open then rubbing alcohol is much safer for electronics but it may not get the yellow out of the buttons. break cleaner will also do it bit it will also get rid of your logos/icons

Reminds me of that keyboard I took the keys off, spray painted them, then wrote the letters back on the keys in permanent marker. Good times (i was like 8 and I wanted a cool looking keyboard but couldn't afford one so yeah)

See I would have just dabbed some isopropyl alcohol on a rag and scrubbed the thing already. Been done in under a minute. Unless you're going to fully disassemble it that's about all you can do.