AMD 5800x boosting to 4.8Ghz doing simple tasks?

I'm work from home, I have a few programs opened for work (3CX, Zoiper, Zoom) and about 10-15 Chrome tabs (yes I know it is a lot but it is necessary) and I'm seeing a few cores (to all of them for a few seconds) boosting to 4.8Ghz causing my temps to be in the 70C

Is this normal? Is this safe to be working from home for 8hrs with my temps in the 70C???

edit: Using Core Temp I can see all the loads are under 10% (WAY under, most are 1-4%) but even those are boosting to 4.8Ghz for a few seconds

Welcome to Ryzen 5000. What is your cooling solution?

3 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Welcome to Ryzen 5000. What is your cooling solution?

I put my heatsink in the wrong way and I'm waiting for more thermal paste to come in but I'm using a Noctua NH-D15. I got a conversion kit so I can use it with AM4

edit: I will say things have calmed down considerably 

edit x2: Looks like only one core is boosting to 4.8Ghz while the rest mainly stay are base clock speed (they do boost to 4.8Ghz for a few seconds here and there)

Tbh ryzen likes to boost as high as temps and voltages will allow. I don't see this as abnormal behavior tbh. I think there are setting you can change that will stop it from boost like that but tbh Idk if it is really a problem unless it's heating up your room. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Tbh ryzen likes to boost as high as temps and voltages will allow. I don't see this as abnormal behavior tbh. I think there are setting you can change that will stop it from boost like that but tbh Idk if it is really a problem unless it's heating up your room. 

I was more worried about the temps staying at 70C for an entire work day then me gaming afterwards but as I said things have GREATLY calmed down and I'm no2 sitting really close idle while working

The boosting is entirely normal. In fact, you'll only really see it go that high when it's light loads. If you're pushing all the cores to their limits, you'll max out around 4.4-4.6.

70C at idle or light loads is concerning, though. The D15 should keep you cooler than that, but I'm not sure what you mean exactly by:

8 minutes ago, Orfieus said:

I put my heatsink in the wrong way and I'm waiting for more thermal paste to come in

Does that mean you're running without thermal paste or how is the cooler "wrong" currently?

Also, case makes a big difference as well. What case do you have?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The boosting is entirely normal. In fact, you'll only really see it go that high when it's light loads. If you're pushing all the cores to their limits, you'll max out around 4.4-4.6.

70C at idle or light loads is concerning, though. The D15 should keep you cooler than that, but I'm not sure what you mean exactly by:

Does that mean you're running without thermal paste or how is the cooler "wrong" currently?

Also, case makes a big difference as well. What case do you have?

I installed the heatsink with the fans facing the top of the case (not the back) so I'm thinking a lot of the heat from the GPU is going through my heatsink right now. Also I don't think I applied enough thermal paste. My idle temp is 38-42C and when I game it goes from 75-80C depending on the game

edit: and once again all my cores are boosting to 4.8Ghz and my temps are now back to 70C

Just now, Orfieus said:

I installed the heatsink with the fans facing the top of the case (not the back) so I'm thinking a lot of the heat from the GPU is going through my heatsink right now. Also I don't think I applied enough thermal paste. My idle temp is 38-42C and when I game it goes from 75-80C depending on the game

Oh. That's fine then. Yeah, installing the cooler for front to back airflow and using sufficient thermal paste, if you're not already, should bring the temps down more, but there's nothing wrong with where you're at.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Oh. That's fine then. Yeah, installing the cooler for front to back airflow and using sufficient thermal paste, if you're not already, should bring the temps down more, but there's nothing wrong with where you're at.

Going from i7 4770k to 5800x is a totally different experience that I was not expecting

1 hour ago, Orfieus said:

Going from i7 4770k to 5800x is a totally different experience that I was not expecting

Much faster in even basic task? 🥳 Or you talking about the boost/heat 😆

So many people have been told a lie that the new stuff "hasn't improved much" over the years. Then they are brown away when even just webbrowsing is beautifully smooth on Zen3 coming from odder stuff.

4.8GHz+ boost is 100% normal, it allows your PC to be super responsive, temp fluctuations are normal. As long as your not going over 90c on full load your great. When legit doing nothing, as in every single thing is closed down, your "idle" temps should be much lower than 70c.

Enjoy your PC. Cheers

I add more thermal paste, positioned the heatsink so the fans are blowing out the back (not the top) and playing in BFV my temps went from ~80C to ~70C