Has anyone else experienced eye strain with G-Sync Monitors?

shift8

I have an Asus PG287Q. GTX 1080. Second monitor is a Dell 27 inch IPS display designed for accurate color work whose designation I dont remember. It is 60hz and is not Gsync. Recently I have been having alot of eyestrain when playing games. In certain first person shooters I could not focus or track targets. When playing hearts of Iron 4, my eyes would get absurdly tired, to the point where they were watering and I had to strain to read. It was very weird and I could not figure out what it was. Went to my eye doctor to have my prescription updated, but this didnt help.

I have only had the PG287Q for about a year and initially did not use Gsync much due to stutter caused by having two monitors. By running my 60hz panel off the integrated GPU, I felt I had fixed the stutter issue. A few months ago I did this and then went full G-Sync on my 287Q all of the time. After some time I started noticing eye strain but didnt connect it to the Gsync.

I noticed the problem today as I was watching a youtube video with alot of movement on my 60hz display and noticed that I was not having any issues tracking the fast paced action. This was immediately interesting because the day before when I had watched the same scene I had felt that I was having issues tracking the high speed scenes.

So I immediately wondered it it was Gsync related. I turned it off and set it to fast sync fixed refresh as global on the PG287Q in the nvidia control panel. I then started testing the games that game me the most issues. Before, I had noticed that some games were giving me more problems than others. Some shooters would be unplayable for me since I could not focus right. Others were fine. After I went to fixed refresh I suddenly had no more issues.

Notable about the same that were giving me eye-strain with G-Sync on:

-All of them had lower frame rates.

-All of them had highly variable frame rates. In particular hearts of iron 4, which as the game goes on suffers from highly erratic and low frame rates. If you watch the frame time graph in this game late game it becomes highly erratic.

-Games with lower but consistent frame rates and especially higher and consistent frame rates had been giving me less problems with Gsync on.

Has anyone else heard of or experience anything like this?