X570 Aorus PRO

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce x3

Aorus 1Tb NVMe PCIe4

480Go PNY SATA SSD

2TB 3.5" Seagate HDD

1TB 2.5" Seagate HDD

Aorus PCIe WiFi Card

Gigabyte P750GM PSU

I had the idea recently to "borrow" the CPU in my testbench (Ryzen 7 3800XT) and to put it in my own PC (Ryzen 7 3800X). So basically, not a great change. But my PC acted wierd right after the change. First of All, it didn't booted properly at the first time. I had to do a quick CLEAR CMOS to redo my boot priorities. After that it went well, and i had some BSOD about my corrupted VGA Driver that was quickly solved.

But after that, things got funkier. As I'm playing, or doing something a little stressing for my pc, about 10 minutes into it, my PC restarts by himself. Just like if it was a overheating issue, or a overclock stability problem. But i have no overclock on my pc, and I've monitored the thermals of my pc, and everything is way under overheating.

I thought that was maybe a BIOS update issue, but even after updating it to the latest version, it didn't solved this problem. I'm thinking also about a PSU issue, but I have a 750W unit, so i don't think I'm over this wattage.

I'm kinda lost about what to do next.. If anyone has any response, I'm so willing to hear them.

Thanks for your time!

If you had no problems prior to switching CPUs my guess would be that your config cannot deal with the higher clocks from the 3800XT. Since you didn't mention any problems on your other setup which had the 3800XT first my guess is that the CPU itself is fine.

I would switch back to the 3800X and see if the issues are gone.

Aside from your problems why did you switch CPUs in the first place? I mean the performance difference between a 3800X and a 3800XT is basically zero anyway. Why even bother?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

On 7/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, Montana16 said:

If you had no problems prior to switching CPUs my guess would be that your config cannot deal with the higher clocks from the 3800XT. Since you didn't mention any problems on your other setup which had the 3800XT first my guess is that the CPU itself is fine.

I would switch back to the 3800X and see if the issues are gone.

Aside from your problems why did you switch CPUs in the first place? I mean the performance difference between a 3800X and a 3800XT is basically zero anyway. Why even bother?

I switched the CPUs because I plan on getting a 5900x or 5950x for my testbench (that also serves as my girlfriend workstation and my streaming PC once they install FTTH, hence the more powerful CPU i want to get), and I would've kept the 3800XT anyway because it is "better" than the 3800X and sold that last one. So I thought i'll change the CPUs now so I'll just have to bother with my Testbench later on and not both of my PCs.

6 minutes ago, SinerJ said:

I switched the CPUs because I plan on getting a 5900x or 5950x for my testbench (that also serves as my girlfriend workstation and my streaming PC once they install FTTH, hence the more powerful CPU i want to get), and I would've kept the 3800XT anyway because it is "better" than the 3800X and sold that last one. So I thought i'll change the CPUs now so I'll just have to bother with my Testbench later on and not both of my PCs.

So is the 3800X already sold?

Have you tried disabling XMP to see if that changes anything?

You said windows had some issues. Have you tried sfc command or anything like that.

Maybe a fresh install if that isn't too problematic with your data?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

27 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

So is the 3800X already sold?

Have you tried disabling XMP to see if that changes anything?

You said windows had some issues. Have you tried sfc command or anything like that.

Maybe a fresh install if that isn't too problematic with your data?

Nope, it's not yet, I wanted to get my hands on the new one before selling it.

Yeah I'm running the bios in default configuration so nothing is tweaked in the bios.

And about Windows it was just some corrupted graphics and wifi card drivers. I uninstalled them and reinstalled them and everything went right from the moment. I didnt get any BSOD since I did that. But if it keeps resting like that i might just do a fresh install of windows. I only have games on my SSD, all my data is or on my HDDs or in my NAS.

4 hours ago, SinerJ said:

And about Windows it was just some corrupted graphics and wifi card drivers. I uninstalled them and reinstalled them and everything went right from the moment. I didnt get any BSOD since I did that. But if it keeps resting like that i might just do a fresh install of windows. I only have games on my SSD, all my data is or on my HDDs or in my NAS.

So are those random restarts solved?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 10:05 PM, Montana16 said:

So are those random restarts solved?

Not yet, but I finally found out what was causing the problem.
In my PC, I have 2 sets of 2x8GB of RAM, and it turns out that one or both of them is defective. I'm still doing some testing to find out exactly what the hell is going on. But having already tested with 2 other new kits, no problem occurs. I was able to play for long hours without any BSODs, reboots, or other crashes. So it looks like it's coming from the RAM. After that, why it didn't give me a problem before I changed my processor, I couldn't say ...