Ghosting???

Mark Kaine

Idk how to explain this - its probably really ghosting but it also feels like the picture is somehow  "blown out of proportion" (?)

Its especially noticable playing fighting games (any i tried so far, DOA5, DOA6, Tekken7, KOF…)

Monitor: Optix MAG 274QRF 1440p (and yes thats the resolution its set to)

The thing is when I play on my Asus MX279H its buttery smooth, no ghosting, etc … so its kinda obvious its the MSI monitor…  I tried a lot of things like "anti motion blur" (which probably doesnt  even work at 60FPS…) but i cant improve it, if anything things like sharpness, Gsync, etc make it worse?!

So is the monitor just trash or is there anything I can do?  i dont think I can return it, bought 2 months ago already. 

I mean, Im really not sure if this is a defect or just how these MSI monitors are or if there's an actual fix?  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

the problem you're describing is really vague. you need to explain what you mean by blown out of proportion. maybe take a video if it shows up well on that while also connected to the asus one to compare?

could be the color calibration/settings?

26 minutes ago, TheBean said:

the problem you're describing is really vague. you need to explain what you mean by blown out of proportion. maybe take a video if it shows up well on that while also connected to the asus one to compare?

Ok, forget about the blown up thing… thats just a feeling i tried to descibe while playing on that monitor, but ghosting should be pretty clear, its almost like motion blur - except motion appears to be interrupted at certain points, it makes it really hard to play anything, not what i expect from.a 500 euro "gaming monitor".

Eh, I can try to record it but im not sure how…  maybe with windows  screen mirroring I guess… 

And yes, its even more visible in videos for some reason.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Eh, I can try to record it but im not sure how…  maybe with windows  screen mirroring I guess… 

with a phone? if its a problem with the display, screen recording software will not capture that

21 minutes ago, TheBean said:

with a phone? if its a problem with the display, screen recording software will not capture that

Yeap, i know… so windows screen dublication… 

Thats a good idea actually - i did just that, and yes, its called ghosting… I do *not* think theres anything i can do about it, but thats something  I dont actually know, hence Im asking - tbh, when recording with my phone it doesnt look that bad, but, boy, if I pause its clearly visible and obvious why it looks terrible and especially why its literally unplayable - thats also what i meant with blown out of proportion, its like a fata morgana basically… left: MSI, right: Asus, way less "blurring" or rather double pictures,they are there, but much less visible, oof. (look at the "3" on the left wall, or simply Kasumi …)

20210710_074424.thumb.jpg.ed5730c01e3398f6d61b7bf4e2477fb6.jpg

So, how to fix this, i suppose its impossible? as said, "anti motion  blur" settings etc dont do anything, sharpness etc makes it even more visible.  To me, this is kind of a defect as it makes the monitor highly unsuitable for "gaming" or watching anything  with motion basically. 

ps: wow looking at this, everything looks so much clearer on the Asus…??? 👀

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

try running ufo test and see if its still visible there. it will be much easier to diagnose there. 

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

record your screen with a phone or take a picture. 

ideally you want to record a video with your phone while tracking a ufo (keep a ufo in the center of the video and track it across the screen while recording)

ghosting/inverse ghosting will be much easier to identify. 

Edited by TheBean

On 7/10/2021 at 10:27 PM, TheBean said:

try running ufo test and see if its still visible there. it will be much easier to diagnose there. 

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

Ok, i did that but i dont really know what im looking for, theres ghosting on both screens…?  and yes I changed it everytime to be the main display, otherwise it throws an error…

But the fact remains gameplay and videos are really stuttery on this MSI monitor, it gets better if i turn off Gsync but not completely fixed (which i dont know why it would matter for videoes but it does)

Im running it at 1080p and Gsync off now and its somewhat better, but that only kinda shows there is something wrong with this monitor?

Didnt have this issue when it was new, everything was normal, but after about a month it started to be laggy / stuttery… 😕

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@TheBean heres a pic, no idea if that looks "normal" i get nausea just looking at it however ><

20210711_020920.thumb.jpg.d1b35fcf55c227b151d70d814ef7bf25.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

@TheBean heres a pic, no idea if that looks "normal" i get nausea just looking at it however ><

if you look at this video i think I can explain it better..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW0SrjeADl0

you need to take a video of the ufotest and track an individual ufo and follow it. 

Disable BFI (it will likely have a different name), its likely strobe crosstalk ur experiencing (moving image doubling)

Below is a review of the display, without BFI you shouldn't having any issues

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-mag274qrf-qd

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |