1660 TI Crashing when updating

I'm unsure why this keeps happening but whenever I need to update my gpu drivers through geforce experience; it crashes the pc the first time and then I can update it the second. The blue screen error stop code was SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and says What failed: nvlddmkm.sys. I have tried using DDU and I have completely reinstalled windows and it hasn't stopped it. It stopped for a while and then just happened again. So now I'm kind of at a loss as  to why its doing this.

Specs
CPU i7 8700

GPU : Windforce 1660 ti

Asus prime h310 plus motherboard

16 gb ddr4 ram

PSU 500w

1 hour ago, Stellarisk said:

I'm unsure why this keeps happening but whenever I need to update my gpu drivers through geforce experience; it crashes the pc the first time and then I can update it the second. The blue screen error stop code was SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and says What failed: nvlddmkm.sys. I have tried using DDU and I have completely reinstalled windows and it hasn't stopped it. It stopped for a while and then just happened again. So now I'm kind of at a loss as  to why its doing this.

Specs
CPU i7 8700

GPU : Windforce 1660 ti

Asus prime h310 plus motherboard

16 gb ddr4 ram

PSU 500w

When it stopped for a while was there an action you took?  It’s possible you have something that is repetitively corrupting this file.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Try DDUing and running the install fresh

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

When it stopped for a while was there an action you took?  It’s possible you have something that is repetitively corrupting this file.

Oh when I say it stopped for a while.  I mean for a period in time there was a point where updating gpu drivers did not cause crashing. Is there a chance my gpu is defective or is this purely a driver issue?

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Try DDUing and running the install fresh

When I use ddu I use it in safe mode and reinstall even nvidia ge force experience from scratch because of ddu. Is that what you mean by install fresh?

32 minutes ago, Stellarisk said:

Oh when I say it stopped for a while.  I mean for a period in time there was a point where updating gpu drivers did not cause crashing. Is there a chance my gpu is defective or is this purely a driver issue?

Heh.  Not enough info to say one way or the other, really.  So is what you’re saying after updating the drivers there was a period when this did not happen but then it started again?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.  Not enough info to say one way or the other, really.  So is what you’re saying after updating the drivers there was a period when this did not happen but then it started again?  

Yes that's what I meant. I dont think anything changed outside there was also a pending windows update. while I was updating it.

50 minutes ago, Stellarisk said:

Yes that's what I meant. I dont think anything changed outside there was also a pending windows update. while I was updating it.

So perhaps the pendingness of the windows update kept whatever it was from happening.  I don’t know much about that bit.  Someone else might. That sounds like software.  Couple of tests:  does your computer do this if it’s behind an air gap?  No access to the internet at all?  Also does it not do it if various storage media are removed?

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So perhaps the pendingness of the windows update kept whatever it was from happening.  I don’t know much about that bit.  Someone else might. That sounds like software.  Couple of tests:  does your computer do this if it’s behind an air gap?  No access to the internet at all?  Also does it not do it if various storage media are removed?

Well using DDU with no internet (safe mode) and then an install works. not too tech savvy  but what do you mean behind an air gap? I have not tested it by removing my installed hard drives

Just now, Stellarisk said:

Well using DDU with no internet (safe mode) and then an install works. not too tech savvy  but what do you mean behind an air gap? I have not tested it by removing my installed hard drives

So it works in safe mode.  I didn’t think of safe mode.  It’s so hard to get at in win10 I figured just unplugging stuff would be simpler.   Whoever decided that safe mode needed multiple restarts to even get needs to be beaten with something.  Safe mode blocks a whole bunch of stuff though not just networking.
What about safe mode with networking? This may fail but that’s information too.

Air gap just means no internet connection at all.  There’s no wire connecting you to the outside. It’s perhaps an outdated term.

Why are you updating drivers?

If something works okay why you mess with it?

I have 1660 Ti and no issues  though from Asus.

Don't understand you guys,what you think that update will gain you a little bit more FPS 😄

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Why are you updating drivers?

If something works okay why you mess with it?

I have 1660 Ti and no issues  though from Asus.

Don't understand you guys,what you think that update will gain you a little bit more FPS 😄

I’m assuming there were issues.  AMD CPUs in particular got a whole bunch of updates to fix various issues to the point that the conventional wisdom has become if something doesn’t work perfectly, try a newer driver. 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m assuming there were issues.  AMD CPUs in particular got a whole bunch of updates to fix various issues to the point that the conventional wisdom has become if something doesn’t work perfectly, try a newer driver. 

yeah but that is not amd card,stick to one version of drivers and if you don't have issues why you update them???
Newest updates are for newer cards optimisation and your is quite old already.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Just now, frozensun said:

yeah but that is not amd card,stick to one version of drivers and if you don't have issues why you update them???
Newest updates are for newer cards optimisation and your is quite old already.

I don’t see why anyone would if there wasn’t a problem.  In my experience if a PC is working well we don’t hear about em much.   

Could be your Windows version and display adapter driver don't like each other.

Make system restore before installing drivers and then if you experience issues just delete driver version.

If none of the driver version works normally then it's not driver realated smth is messsing your system and could be anything.

5 hours ago, frozensun said:

Could be your Windows version and display adapter driver don't like each other.

Make system restore before installing drivers and then if you experience issues just delete driver version.

If none of the driver version works normally then it's not driver realated smth is messsing your system and could be anything.

Will it kill my pc if I have to keep updating with the crashes ?

53 minutes ago, Stellarisk said:

Will it kill my pc if I have to keep updating with the crashes ?

A monthly bios flash?  Two ways that could happen neither of which I know the odds of.  They’re quite low though.   One is you actually wear out the flash system.  I don’t know if they even do wear out or how long it takes.  Thousands of flashes I assume which would be basically never but I don’t know.  The other would be the small chance of a bad flash which could brick the card.  I don’t know how often they happen.  I’ve only seen a report here of it ever happening once, and there were some extenuating circumstances in that one.  A monthly flash is 12 a year.  How many years before the card becomes too obsolete to use especially considering it won’t work with win11. Max is 5 years so sixty some flashes absolute max.  Probably lots less.  Chances are still pretty good I think.  If even 1 in a couple hundred cards bricked every time AMD put out a bios update there would be an uproar.  Follow basic safety procedures like do a checksum on the update to make sure it’s not corrupt and I just don’t see it happening.