High End Server for Solidworks Virtualization + file server

Budget (including currency): Keep it reasonable

Programs or workloads that it will be used for: Multiple Solidworks virtual machines, (Probably less than 4), and various other less intensive VM's. Also a file server.

Other details 

I want to build a professional server to host about 3-5 Solidworks applications at the same time. Also want to host some smaller VM's and also want it to act as a file server, probably around 20tb. The reason I want this is because I'm doing some Solidworks training and don't want to buy a bunch of workstations, (Performance is ideal but not very critical). Planning on replacing the current Synology NAS with this and using the Synology as a backup for the server. What kind of specs would I need for this and is feasible?  

4 hours ago, jwoll said:

Budget (including currency): Keep it reasonable

Programs or workloads that it will be used for: Multiple Solidworks virtual machines, (Probably less than 4), and various other less intensive VM's. Also a file server.

Other details 

I want to build a professional server to host about 3-5 Solidworks applications at the same time. Also want to host some smaller VM's and also want it to act as a file server, probably around 20tb. The reason I want this is because I'm doing some Solidworks training and don't want to buy a bunch of workstations, (Performance is ideal but not very critical). Planning on replacing the current Synology NAS with this and using the Synology as a backup for the server. What kind of specs would I need for this and is feasible?  

Well for budget but ton of cores youll prob want a dual epyc 7551/7571 setup, ik its zen+ but 7551 is around 600-800$ on ebay and its a 32c cpu so should be able to run a ton of vms

Oh and if you revert to a bios that uses agesa 1.0.0.3 or lower you can actually overclock your epyc, though i think its best to stay under 3.4ghz so the vrms dont catch fire xD and please put some basic heatsinks on the vrms even if you arent gonna do any ocing

And ecc ddr4 as long as its 2400 or under is quite cheap if you get it on aliexpress, not sure how much ram youll need but a 8gb ecc ddr4 2400 is around 35$ on aliexpress so 8x16 = 128gb for 560$

Oh and you will want to run octa channel on your epycs, check der8auer vids on ocing 7601, he mentions that running epyc in quad channel actually makes it abit slower just like running single channel compared to dual channel, so def go octa channel

A dual socket sp3 board is around 600$ on ebay and sp3 is compatible with trx for cooler mounts so just search for a trx air cooler

Case? Yea good luck finding a compatible one and these dual socket boards are big so you will have to find a case thats suitable for it which is prob very hard cause no one makes hp-atx or whatever the f its called cases if you get a standard dual socket board

A psu 1000w or more is reccomended

10 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Well for budget but ton of cores youll prob want a dual epyc 7551/7571 setup, ik its zen+ but 7551 is around 600-800$ on ebay and its a 32c cpu so should be able to run a ton of vms

Oh and if you revert to a bios that uses agesa 1.0.0.3 or lower you can actually overclock your epyc, though i think its best to stay under 3.4ghz so the vrms dont catch fire xD and please put some basic heatsinks on the vrms even if you arent gonna do any ocing

And ecc ddr4 as long as its 2400 or under is quite cheap if you get it on aliexpress, not sure how much ram youll need but a 8gb ecc ddr4 2400 is around 35$ on aliexpress so 8x16 = 128gb for 560$

Oh and you will want to run octa channel on your epycs, check der8auer vids on ocing 7601, he mentions that running epyc in quad channel actually makes it abit slower just like running single channel compared to dual channel, so def go octa channel

A dual socket sp3 board is around 600$ on ebay and sp3 is compatible with trx for cooler mounts so just search for a trx air cooler

Case? Yea good luck finding a compatible one and these dual socket boards are big so you will have to find a case thats suitable for it which is prob very hard cause no one makes hp-atx or whatever the f its called cases if you get a standard dual socket board

Thanks for the reply, one of my biggest questions would be the GPU. I have experience with Quadro cards and have had good luck with the P1000 in some of my workstations. We wouldn't be doing very complex stuff in SolidWorks with the server as it's mostly for training purposes. I've even seen a p620 good enough for basic use. What do I need to know about a GPU and virtualization? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, jwoll said:

What do I need to know about a GPU and virtualization? Thanks.

Idk much about gpu and virtualisation so cant help you there, just gonna hope that someone else can give their input

15 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I had wanted to stay away from dual cpu if I could, have heard that it's more of a hassle than it's worth. What would be my alternative, a high end epyc?

4 hours ago, jwoll said:

I had wanted to stay away from dual cpu if I could, have heard that it's more of a hassle than it's worth. What would be my alternative, a high end epyc?

7742 or 7763, those are like 8000$ wheras dual 7551 is like 1000-1600$