Quantum computer on desktop size

PeachGr
2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Was making a joke about tech in the pipeline but that's been in the pipeline for a very, very long time.

It’s occasional that stuff can languish there for a long time till a use is discovered or a roadblock is broken.

lcd tech has its origins in a rather weird experiment involving velvet from the 19th century.  One never knows where something might spring from. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s occasional that stuff can languish there for a long time till a use is discovered or a roadblock is broken.

lcd tech has its origins in a rather weird experiment involving velvet from the 19th century.  One never knows where something might spring from. 

This, very little new tech is actually completely new, it's often the case that it's a development of an old idea taking advantage of changes in surrounding fields, (not limited to manufacturing), to turn an impractical novelty into an actually usable idea.

This is not a desktop sized quantum computer... They're talking about something completely different.

The actual wafers still need to be cooled to near absolute zero and have all manner of crazy surrounding that effort. They'll still be the size of a car because of that, regardless of whether or not what happens in that article comes to fruition.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20