PSU Recommendations

ldmendes7

In April 2016 I built my PC, fast forward over 5 years and pretty much every part has been upgraded once or twice. 

My PSU however still remains, the same one since 2016. Its the Corsair VS650.

In the PSU Tier List my PSU "Corsair | VS 2012 [orange-label]" is in "Tier E • Potentially dangerous in multiple scenarios" and considering my PC parts are worth over $2000 with an RTX 2070 SUPER I think its definitely time to upgrade to a better PSU.

As I've never changed out my PSU before I really have no idea which one to get, so could someone help me please 🙂

I'm looking for something less than £100 hopefully - probably going to order from Scan or Overclockers so you could check the pricing / discounts there, and something around 700W that is very reliable and will last.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, ldmendes7 said:

Oh thanks this looks great! I would never even have thought of MSI

I don't live in the UK, but it looks cheaper here 🙂

6 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

I don't live in the UK, but it looks cheaper here 🙂

Yep I saw that, also the 750W is on a large discount from £139 to £89, so I think I might get that one to give me a little headroom for the future and as Nvidia lists 650W as the minimum for the 2070super

4 minutes ago, ldmendes7 said:

Yep I saw that, also the 750W is on a large discount from £139 to £89, so I think I might get that one to give me a little headroom for the future

In the future, if you're thinking of upgrading to RTX3080 or so, it's a good choice.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Eh, unsure about this one, MSI seems to do some shady stuff, i'd rather get ADATA XPG Core Reactor, especially since it's cheaper.

About £2 cheaper 🙂 What's wrong with MSI?

Just now, IIIIIIIIII said:

About £2 cheaper 🙂 What's wrong with MSI?

I don't know what exactly is happening but i've seen reviews with DBB bearing fan instead of rifle (they don't mention the bearing type in the specs so this swap is technically fine), so at the very least some samples may not be as quiet (not that it was exactly quiet in the first place). Also, on some reviews there are no '10 years warranty' label on the box, might be just regional versions since on US site they still say it's 10 years warranty, but for example on Russian site it's 5 years.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 minutes ago, Juular said:

I don't know what exactly is happening but i've seen reviews with DBB bearing fan instead of rifle (they don't mention the bearing type in the specs so this swap is technically fine)

LOL! Didn't they confirm the bearing? It is promoted as FDB in Korea. Is it completely the same platform based on the review? Could you tell me the source?

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

Also, on some reviews there are no '10 years warranty' label on the box, might be just regional versions since on US site they still say it's 10 years warranty, but for example on Russian site it's 5 years.

Perhaps it varies by region. Warranty extensions are very common in Korea due to competition. For example, almost all entry-level models have a minimum 5-year warranty and Enermax Rev D.F. has a 10-year warranty. It would not be strange even if it decreased depending on the distribution situation.

25 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

isn't aorus also bad?

What does that have to do with anything at all in this thread? 

:)

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

What does that have to do with anything at all in this thread? 

title of this thread,

plus i was going to recommend some psus but they got already recommended.

i have heard asus, msi, aorus have bad psus (exception asus thor top most version) so i wanted to confirm about aorus. 🙂

1 hour ago, Orian Pax said:

i have heard asus, msi, aorus have bad psus (exception asus thor top most version) so i wanted to confirm about aorus. 🙂

Pretty much all brands have bad to mediocre PSUs. ASUS PSUs aren't bad exactly, just overpriced rebrands of Seasonic Focus mostly, with only Thor 1200W being Prime. MSI isn't bad either, it's just there are very few reviews to see if they indeed use DBB fan interchangeably with FDB, regardless, that only makes it noisier than most other PSUs, not exactly bad overall. Gigabyte had an explosive debut of P-GM, now it seems they've switched to better FETs on new revisions, or at the very least on higher wattages (1kW confirmed) but i'd still don't trust it for now, their other PSUs are okay, Aorus AP-GM / P-W is fine really, if it's cheap enough.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply