Anyway to fix graphics card? (Physical Damage)

Petunia_55

So awhile ago I came into possession of a Nvidia Titan X Pascal, for free! However there is some very bad physical damage and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a way I can fix it or a service I can use.2021-07-04.thumb.jpeg.3926d5ebc990913868ee86dd34c1c5fa.jpeg

Just now, StDragon said:

The two gold finger contacts and the end? If it's just scraped, it should be ok. The image isn't clear enough to see what the problem is.

No look its the first pins

3 minutes ago, Petunia_55 said:

So awhile ago I came into possession of a Nvidia Titan X Pascal, for free! However there is some very bad physical damage and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a way I can fix it or a service I can use.

A picture of the damage would be helpful. 

Just now, Blue4130 said:

A picture of the damage would be helpful. 

Check the PCIe connector

the first part

Just now, Petunia_55 said:

No look its the first pins

Haha completely missed that... 

Are the traces still somewhat clean above the break? 

2 minutes ago, Petunia_55 said:

Check the PCIe connector

the first part

You mean the PCB that's broken free in the front?

No, that can't be repaired. However, it shouldn't have any circuitry going through it, so it should be fine.

Oh I see, the first tab of fingers is broken off. Yup, the card is done for.

Edited by StDragon

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

No, that can't be repaired. However, it shouldn't have any circuitry going through it, so it should be fine.

No, look at the other end of the connector, there is a scratch across 2 pins.

OP, there isnt a problem because the signal isn't just from the end of the pins, the whole pin goes in the slot, so as long as part of the pin is intact its fine.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

No, look at the other end of the connector, there is a scratch across 2 pins.

OP, there isnt a problem because the signal isn't just from the end of the pins, the whole pin goes in the slot, so as long as part of the pin is intact its fine.

It's worse. Look at the reference image.

geforce-titan-xp-design-843-u.jpg

4 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Oh I see, the first tab of fingers is broken off. Yup, the card is done for.

RIP

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Haha completely missed that... 

Are the traces still somewhat clean above the break? 

Here's a closeup

IMG_3908.JPG

2 minutes ago, Petunia_55 said:

RIP

You might be able to sell the card as broken on eBay. Someone might want the VRAM, GPU die, or HSF assembly as donor material to fix another card.  

Just now, StDragon said:

You might be able to see the card as broken on eBay. Someone might want the VRAM, GPU die, or HSF assembly as donor material to fix another card.  

Alright thanks, I'll try that. After all someone gave it to me for nothing so I really have nothing to lose.

14 minutes ago, Petunia_55 said:

So awhile ago I came into possession of a Nvidia Titan X Pascal, for free! However there is some very bad physical damage and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a way I can fix it or a service I can use.2021-07-04.thumb.jpeg.3926d5ebc990913868ee86dd34c1c5fa.jpeg

The first set of pins is mostly just a whole bunch of 12v and ground rails, but there is at least one pin that needs to be connected for the mainboard to recognize a card is plugged in and what size the card is. I'm not sure if any of the other contacts are required, if that's really the only one you could probably jump it with a tiny wire. Most likely it won't work, but if you're willing to give a small chance a try, I'll draw up a diagram which pins to connect

3 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

The first set of pins is mostly just a whole bunch of 12v and ground rails, but there is at least one pin that needs to be connected for the mainboard to recognize a card is plugged in and what size the card is. I'm not sure if any of the other contacts are required, if that's really the only one you could probably jump it with a tiny wire. Most likely it won't work, but if you're willing to give a small chance a try, I'll draw up a diagram which pins to connect

image.thumb.png.9aa5275e3050e7302b5e3a79d18319d2.png

These two have to be connected together for the mainboard to realize there's something in the slot. And make sure the PCIE-Power connectors are plugged in, since the card won't be getting any power from the slot.

1 hour ago, Petunia_55 said:

Here's a closeup

I'd honestly try to jump the pins in the socket to the card/power. Find a pinout diagram and some wire. I obviously would try it in an old system that I didn't care about. Maybe epoxy a piece of plastic card where the finger/tab used to be. You got it for free after all... Sounds like a fun project.

55 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

image.thumb.png.9aa5275e3050e7302b5e3a79d18319d2.png

These two have to be connected together for the mainboard to realize there's something in the slot. And make sure the PCIE-Power connectors are plugged in, since the card won't be getting any power from the slot.

To further this....

https://pinouts.ru/Slots/pci_express_pinout.shtml

Here is a pinout if you are willing... @Petunia_55

9 hours ago, Petunia_55 said:

This sounds like a fun idea, especially if it works because I'd love the performance of a Titan X lol (much better than the 1070 I have)

The 3.3V and SMBus rails could also be required for the card to function, at that point you would need to find a PCB diagram and solder wires to the components those pins need to be connected to, so then it is almost impossible to fix the card and you're better off selling the card for components to someone who has a working PCB but a dead component

There's a repair shop in the LA area called NorthridgeFix, they also have a youtube channel where they've been repairing graphics cards at board level, maybe you can ask them for advice, they should be able to tell if repair is possible or not.