Why isn't Linus criticizing AMD's problematic drivers?

Penguin420

Hello fellas, i am new here but i am a good follower of Linus!

I just can't understand why Tech enthusiasts doesn't criticize AMD's bad drivers? I bought a 6700 XT recently, downloaded latest WHQL driver and had some problems. In some games, my CPU usage was so low, i was getting low FPS + FPS drops. Later, i tried 21.4.1 and solved it. But why even WHQL drivers have problems like this? This isn't ok and tech enthusiasts like Linus, Nexus, HW unboxed etc. doesn't complain about it. They should complain, and they should make them correct the drivers. We are strong together

P.s.: English isn't my main language. Sorry for misspellings.

7 minutes ago, komar said:

image.png.0d4554d978bca02369193895c24fdb9e.png

image.png.42e72954072c76d06dc97f24982e27b1.png

I downloaded 21.6.1 first, it is WHQL atm.

And, any AMD user knows AMD's drivers are trash.

I've had bunch of dumb issues with NVIDIA drivers too. From Youtube tearing like mad to getting corrupted if using certain V-Sync method to DSR still having no concept of high refresh rate at 4K after YEARS of complaining about it (unless the game has explicit control over refresh rate) to absolutely garbage NVIDIA Control Panel which looks and feels like something from 2006 (it's literally this old and hasn't been update at all since) down to horrid texture corruption in Necromunda Hired Gun game (very recent game with flickering textures to a point I couldn't play it anymore).

I had pretty much only Radeon cards before going with GTX 980 back then and I had issues here and there, but in general on par with NVIDIA. It worked fine 95% of the time and that other 5% was some weird issue here and there. Usually fixed by BETA driver that was released as bugfix. Last one I remember was texture corruption in Skyrim with Radeon HD7950. Which got fixed with beta driver soon after. Haven't had Radeon card for a while, but I doubt they got so much worse in recent years that they'd deserve special criticism. Relative has a RX 580 and games seem to work fine with it. And he's not even the nerd like I'm who'd update graphic drivers all the time. He probably still uses driver from months ago unless Windows updated it by itself.

1 minute ago, Penguin420 said:

Well, if you had problems with 21.6.1 and now there is 21.6.2, don't you think that they probably noticed a problem and made a new version to patch it already?

Funny enough people I know complained more driver issues in RTX30 series, meanwhile for RX6000 series there are little to no complaints.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

12 minutes ago, Penguin420 said:

Had my 5700XT from launch day (it was actually preordered and collected in store on the day), I've never had a single bit of trouble with the card nor any of the drivers I have installed. Please don't try to speak for me.

Also do you know it was actually the driver causing the issue or is that just a guess? (and saying well I changed them and the problem went away means nothing since the driver is not the only variable in the equation).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

For one, Linus has criticized AMDs drivers numerous times. Second, AMD drivers are much better than they once were. Third, Nvidia drivers have issues, too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

30 minutes ago, komar said:

Well, if you had problems with 21.6.1 and now there is 21.6.2, don't you think that they probably noticed a problem and made a new version to patch it already?

I thought, WHQL drivers shouldn't have problems. They should be better than beta drivers, right?

39 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I've had bunch of dumb issues with NVIDIA drivers too. From Youtube tearing like mad to getting corrupted if using certain V-Sync method to DSR still having no concept of high refresh rate at 4K after YEARS of complaining about it (unless the game has explicit control over refresh rate) to absolutely garbage NVIDIA Control Panel which looks and feels like something from 2006 (it's literally this old and hasn't been update at all since) down to horrid texture corruption in Necromunda Hired Gun game (very recent game with flickering textures to a point I couldn't play it anymore).

I had pretty much only Radeon cards before going with GTX 980 back then and I had issues here and there, but in general on par with NVIDIA. It worked fine 95% of the time and that other 5% was some weird issue here and there. Usually fixed by BETA driver that was released as bugfix. Last one I remember was texture corruption in Skyrim with Radeon HD7950. Which got fixed with beta driver soon after. Haven't had Radeon card for a while, but I doubt they got so much worse in recent years that they'd deserve special criticism. Relative has a RX 580 and games seem to work fine with it. And he's not even the nerd like I'm who'd update graphic drivers all the time. He probably still uses driver from months ago unless Windows updated it by itself.

Yep, i had a RX 570 for 1,5 years and it was perfect. But, other users had Wattman errors etc. 

Also, had GTX 1660 for few months. It was perfect too, just plug it in and play. You are right abt the Control Panel, they should change it. 

But this 21.6.1 and 6700XT just disappointed me. I was excited, plug it in, and see FPS was no more than GTX 1660. Used DDU to remove GTX 1660 drivers tho. Later, i tried to reset Windows and nothing changed. At the end, removed the 21.6.1 via DDU and downloaded the 21.4.1. I think, i am not gonna change it for at least a year. Also, about criticism. RX 500 had Wattman errors. RX 5000 had black screen, again bad drivers. They said, 6000 drivers are good enough. I saw 6700xt on sale and bought, relied on these guys. But when i throw in some games, saw FPS was no more than GTX 1660. This isn't ok bro. They really need to hire some good engineers abt drivers. 

29 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

For one, Linus has criticized AMDs drivers numerous times. Second, AMD drivers are much better than they once were. Third, Nvidia drivers have issues, too.

I think they should have pressure to make them correct the drivers. I know, they are doing good but i believe it isn't enough. And, GTX 1660 was perfect experience for me, idk.

12 minutes ago, Penguin420 said:

They really need to hire some good engineers abt drivers.

That's not really how it works, nor is it that simple @Penguin420.

I have had Nvidia and AMD cards. I am an Nvidia fanboy but have been impressed with AMD drivers for the last two years. I had 0 issues, but that's also because I made 100% sure to remove every single bit of leftover drivers from my computer.

Chances are the problem isn't the GPU or drivers, but the rest of your system - and that's how it usually is, anyways..

5 minutes ago, Penguin420 said:

I think they should have pressure to make them correct the drivers. I know, they are doing good but i believe it isn't enough. And, GTX 1660 was perfect experience for me, idk.

Why should Linus (or anyone else) be responsible for preaching your opinion?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

35 minutes ago, Penguin420 said:

And I had a 5600 XT with never a single issue. Drivers always worked perfectly. My point is that nothing is perfect. You had one issue, and now you're wanting Linus to go to war with AMD. Your experience isn't necessarily the norm.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

38 minutes ago, gal-m said:

That's not really how it works, nor is it that simple @Penguin420.

I have had Nvidia and AMD cards. I am an Nvidia fanboy but have been impressed with AMD drivers for the last two years. I had 0 issues, but that's also because I made 100% sure to remove every single bit of leftover drivers from my computer.

Chances are the problem isn't the GPU or drivers, but the rest of your system - and that's how it usually is, anyways..

Bro i even reinstalled the Windows, cleaned all the disks i have. The problem continued. Then, as I said, 21.4.1 saved me.

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Why should Linus (or anyone else) be responsible for preaching your opinion?

They are not responsible. They are biggest tech channels, and brands are really listening to their oppinions. Anyways, they should preach, imo. Because, there we have a real problems as gamer, and we can't reach to AMD. Linus can reach them with a video.

Guys said, even Nvidia have big driver problems. So, Linus can take actions about both corporations, can complain about them. We are all gamers, spending lots of money on these hardwares. Not to spend more time with tuning GPU, or trying drivers. 

8 minutes ago, Penguin420 said:

Bro i even reinstalled the Windows, cleaned all the disks i have. The problem continued. Then, as I said, 21.4.1 saved me.

Then you have solved your issue @Penguin420.

• you installed a GPU driver that was performing poorly
  • you diagnosed the issue and found that reverting to an older driver has fixed it
  • you have found the solution
12 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

You had one issue, and now you're wanting Linus to go to war with AMD. Your experience isn't necessarily the norm.

I have to agree with @Chris Pratt on this one.

You had a bad experience which sucks and is most certainty frustrating, however you manage to solve it with the only cost being time.. so... there is no issue here, really.

Just stop thinking about it and enjoy your PC 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

And I had a 5600 XT with never a single issue. Drivers always worked perfectly. My point is that nothing is perfect. You had one issue, and now you're wanting Linus to go to war with AMD. Your experience isn't necessarily the norm.

No, i don't want to do it. Linus always did the right thing, didn't take sides. He should do the right thing again, imo. I am not the only one had issues. If you don't have issues, it doesnt means everyone doesnt have issues

9 minutes ago, Penguin420 said:

So, Linus can take actions about both corporations, can complain about them. We are all gamers, spending lots of money on these hardwares. Not to spend more time with tuning GPU, or trying drivers.

They really don't care about his opinion all that much, just like they don't care about gamers not being able to buy GPU's.

As long as they make profit - that's what it's all about at the end of the day @Penguin420

Just now, gal-m said:

Then you have solved your issue @Penguin420.

• you installed a GPU driver that was performing poorly
  • you diagnosed the issue and found that reverting to an older driver has fixed it
  • you have found the solution

I have to agree with @Chris Pratt on this one.

You had a bad experience which sucks and is most certainty frustrating, however you manage to solve it with the only cost being time.. so... there is no issue here, really.

Just stop thinking about it and enjoy your PC 🙂 

Yep but the problem is it is WHQL driver atm. 

I am not the only one experiencing problems. 5000 series owners had black screen issues, 500 series owners had Wattman reset problem. They aren't ok at all. Yes, i see they are evolving. But i don't think it is enough when i compare my experience which i lived with GTX 1660.

2 minutes ago, gal-m said:

They really don't care about his opinion all that much, just like they don't care about gamers not being able to buy GPU's.

As long as they make profit - that's what it's all about at the end of the day @Penguin420

I don't agree with you. Imo, they are really listening to LTT. They have very big audience. But in this case, when they are selling to much gpu's, they may not care tho. 

14 minutes ago, Penguin420 said:

No, i don't want to do it. Linus always did the right thing, didn't take sides. He should do the right thing again, imo. I am not the only one had issues. If you don't have issues, it doesnt means everyone doesnt have issues

This is the most self entitled post I've read in a long time.

For a start, just because you had an issue doesn't mean everyone else does.

Second you're making a demand that someone you don't know go to a company he has a good working relationship with and start pushing your agenda on them because you can't be arsed to do it yourself, are you serious or just trolling?

1 hour ago, Penguin420 said:

If you have issues, it doesn't mean everyone else is having issues, either. Welcome to the world of technology. Sometimes there's issues with drivers. Sometimes an update has bugs. This is normal. You're blowing up an isolated occurrence into some sort of widespread cataclysmic event, and it's just not.

4 hours ago, Penguin420 said:

Don't know any such thing. Used a 5700 for a year with zero issues, used a 6800 for the past six months also flawlessly.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16