Need Help With New SSD

Christianm916

When I built my rig I had a hard drive before I was able to purchase my m.2 SSD, and so my boot drive currently my hard drive and I want to migrate my OS to my m.2, I am unsure how to and don't want to mess up my boot files, let me know what to do. Thanks!

Back up your files and format your drive from bios. Then clean reinstall windows.

Salisbury steak isn't steak.

The only thing I am worried about is my windows key resetting and paying for another one, I haven't looked too much into it and just want to make sure before I go and do a fresh install and I need to buy another key

If you registered your copy of windows, it shouldn't matter. Just log in when you're prompted during installation. It will recognize your PC automatically. The key is bound to your MoBo, if i remember correctly.

Salisbury steak isn't steak.

Ah I see I'll give it a shot, should I just do a fresh install off a flash drive, or through the windows settings?

1 hour ago, Christianm916 said:

The only thing I am worried about is my windows key resetting and paying for another one, I haven't looked too much into it and just want to make sure before I go and do a fresh install and I need to buy another key

It should have the key binded to your motherboard and saved online and should auto-activate.

Atleast the last half dozen times I reinstalled Win10 fresh it did.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

1 hour ago, Christianm916 said:

Ah I see I'll give it a shot, should I just do a fresh install off a flash drive, or through the windows settings?

I don't think you can reinstall on a different drive through the windows settings.

If i was doing it I would delete everything on the drives, wipe all the partitions, and allow windows installer (from the USB) to re-partition the ssd ittself (making sure to actually select the ssd instead of a different drive)

(and then repartition all secondary drives directly from windows when your booted up through the in-windows partition manager)

Reminder to back up any files you don't want to permanently lose if you do this.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

6 hours ago, Daethz said:

I don't think you can reinstall on a different drive through the windows settings.

If i was doing it I would delete everything on the drives, wipe all the partitions, and allow windows installer (from the USB) to re-partition the ssd ittself (making sure to actually select the ssd instead of a different drive)

(and then repartition all secondary drives directly from windows when your booted up through the in-windows partition manager)

Reminder to back up any files you don't want to permanently lose if you do this.

Yea that’s what I did I don’t have too much on the pc as is so I wiped it and reinstalled everything and it’s running off my ssd and my pc boots in a quarter of the time thanks