NVM (Problem solve) Please help... RTX 3060 upgrade keeps crashing / won't boot

Super_Nor
Go to solution Solved by Super_Nor,

Hello everyone. New member of the forum here, but not new to PCs. Desperate for help here...

So, I just bought an Asus RTX 3060 Phoenix. I was recently running a GTX 1660S Phoenix OC. Un-installed the old graphics drivers using DDU. Installed new hardware. But the system either won't post at all, and when it does it'll crash on the windows loading screen right after post screen.

However, I did manage to get windows to load one time and during the driver installation process it crashed on me. So I tried in safe mode, successfully installed the drives. But will not start in normal mode. The card is brand new, I originally bought a used PNY RTX 3060 XLR8 and it did the same thing. I though the PNY was defective. But a brand new un-opened card can't do the same thing. If I put the 1660 back it runs just fine no issues at all. Why the heck won't a RTX 3060 work on my system!? I'm loosing my freakin hair trouble shooting this thing!

System config: Windows 10

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

Mother board: Gigabyte GA-X570-I-Aorus Pro Wifi (ITX version, latest bios)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 Dual channel 8Gx2

HD: Adata XPG SX800 512x2

GPU: Asus RTX 3060 Phoenix 12G

Power Supply: Silverstone FX-350G

What I've tried with no luck:

-installed a 800w power supply (I originally though it didn't have enough juice)

-use DDU

-Fresh install of Windows

-Run Memtest86 for errors (4 passes no errors found)

-Tried 2 diffent riser cables, even tried it without a riser cable directly into the PCI-E slot.

Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on!? I've built many systems but I've never had something like this happen to me before!

Hello everyone. New member of the forum here, but not new to PCs. Desperate for help here...

So, I just bought an Asus RTX 3060 Phoenix. I was recently running a GTX 1660S Phoenix OC. Un-installed the old graphics drivers using DDU. Installed new hardware. But the system either won't post at all, and when it does it'll crash on the windows loading screen right after post screen.

However, I did manage to get windows to load one time and during the driver installation process it crashed on me. So I tried in safe mode, successfully installed the drives. But will not start in normal mode. The card is brand new, I originally bought a used PNY RTX 3060 XLR8 and it did the same thing. I though the PNY was defective. But a brand new un-opened card can't do the same thing. If I put the 1660 back it runs just fine no issues at all. Why the heck won't a RTX 3060 work on my system!? I'm loosing my freakin hair trouble shooting this thing!

System config: Windows 10

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

Mother board: Gigabyte GA-X570-I-Aorus Pro Wifi (ITX version, latest bios)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 Dual channel 8Gx2

HD: Adata XPG SX800 512x2

GPU: Asus RTX 3060 Phoenix 12G

Power Supply: Silverstone FX-350G

What I've tried with no luck:

-installed a 800w power supply (I originally though it didn't have enough juice)

-use DDU

-Fresh install of Windows

-Run Memtest86 for errors (4 passes no errors found)

-Tried 2 diffent riser cables, even tried it without a riser cable directly into the PCI-E slot.

Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on!? I've built many systems but I've never had something like this happen to me before!

45 minutes ago, Super_Nor said:

Silverstone FX-350G

This isn't helping. 350watts is nowhere near enough juice

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

he said he upgraded the psu to an 800w - and you already tried a fresh install of windows? then must be hardware related

do you have access to another comp you can try the graphics card in to prove that it actually works? otherwise could just be a doa card 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

26 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

he said he upgraded the psu to an 800w - and you already tried a fresh install of windows? then must be hardware related

do you have access to another comp you can try the graphics card in to prove that it actually works? otherwise could just be a doa card 

That's one thing I haven't tried yet... But I highly doubt that's the issue. I'll give it a shot, it's a brand new card and Asus tests their GPU for  144 hours before package.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/Phoenix/PH-RTX3060-12G/

Holy freakin titty monkey! I figured out what was wrong. And no, the Silverstone FX350G runs it just fine. 

Anyways! I changed the PCI-E con figuration from Auto -> Gen2

Like what the hell!? Shouldn't the bios know what mode to use. It didn't have this issue with the 1660s being set to auto. But thanks for the suggestions!

• 8 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 7:08 AM, Super_Nor said:

Holy freakin titty monkey! I figured out what was wrong. And no, the Silverstone FX350G runs it just fine. 

Anyways! I changed the PCI-E con figuration from Auto -> Gen2

Like what the hell!? Shouldn't the bios know what mode to use. It didn't have this issue with the 1660s being set to auto. But thanks for the suggestions!

How do i change the pci-e configuration from auto to gen2 cause my 3060 keeps crashing. I just wanna see if doing that will work for me