Has anyone made a Franken Cluster & would you recommend it to others?

To my understanding, a Franken Cluster is a cluster of dissimilar devices used to run server tasks but because of their lack of uniformity making it work is harder & less out the box.

Has anyone made a franken-cluster/server?

Would those who have recommend it?

When I finish building my PC I'll have a dual Xeon cpu tower with ECC ram, an old laptop with just 1gb of ram, an old Android phone, & possibly a few other used computers. Is there a worthwhile way to tether such an amalgamation?

This is a curiosity question

3 minutes ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

To my understanding, a Franken Cluster is a cluster of dissimilar devices used to run server tasks but because of their lack of uniformity making it work is harder & less out the box.

Has anyone made a franken-cluster/server?

Would those who have recommend it?

When I finish building my PC I'll have a dual Xeon cpu tower with ECC ram, an old laptop with just 1gb of ram, an old Android phone, & possibly a few other used computers. Is there a worthwhile way to tether such an amalgamation?

This is a curiosity question

DISTCC can distribute compiling to various devices, provided they're all the same type of CPU (x86-64, for example)

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you running on the cluster?

thoses old laptops and phones eem too slow to bother with adding to the cluster

I don't know, I just know it's a thing people do with spare electronics & I have spare electronics.

You're probably right

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

DISTCC can distribute compiling to various devices, provided they're all the same type of CPU (x86-64, for example)

As in 64-bit or something else?

Just now, Beat_my_Laptop said:

As in 64-bit or something else?

As in, the same instruction set.

ARM and x86 are wholely incompatible.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

I don't know, I just know it's a thing people do with spare electronics & I have spare electronics.

You're probably right

Find a goal first. Cluster normally need a lot of setup and configuration to work correctly.

17 hours ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

You're probably right

its always a bad idea to find a solution for a problem you dont have.

Define your goals first and then buy hardware that is right for your job, no use to spend money on e-waste for no reason.

4 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

its always a bad idea to find a solution for a problem you dont have.

Define your goals first and then buy hardware that is right for your job, no use to spend money on e-waste for no reason.

You're right, this was mostly a curiousity question if anyone had done it.

Also, not spending money, I have spare electronics I want to do more with than be e-waste so I tossed out the question.