Cooling issues - if i play games more than an hour it heats a lot even thought it is specified i can play those games

You do realize you are gaming on a machine that's design to be thin and light, and not continuous work loads right?

I feels like someone brought a corlla and wondered why ford f150 can carry more.

17 minutes ago, Nshchal said:

iss 1.PNG

iss 2.PNG

If you're referring to Spec lists, these list show hardware that will provide a good experience in a given game. But ONLY IF said specs are being properly ran. If the part is getting so hot that it is no longer running at it's base expected performance for a game, that is the outcome of it being a laptop and nothing else. The solution to this issue would be to either get a desktop or cool the laptop better by cleaning it, or replacing any inadequate thermal paste. But as Seamus said, this is not a device designed for gaming workloads, therefore, it will not perform as well as a similarly spec'ed gaming laptop or desktop will. 

That's pretty typical for a gaming laptop, honestly. Most really aren't equipped to deal with the heat their CPUs/GPUs produce. There are a couple things you can do it mitigate it though, like:

• Setting your laptop fans to full. I'm not familiar with fan control on HP laptops, but look for something named "performance mode" (or if you can manually set the speed to 100%, do that while you're gaming).
  • Undervolting your CPU (and possibly GPU, but in your case the CPU is probably what's outputting the most heat). There are tons of guides for this online, and I'm a fan of a free software called ThrottleStop.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

10 minutes ago, Seamus X said:

You do realize you are gaming on a machine that's design to be thin and light, and not continuous work loads right?

I feels like someone brought a corlla and wondered why ford f150 can carry more.

This sounds to me like the excuses Apple fans use whenever something doesn't work right. "It's not the computer's fault, you're just using it wrong!" In reality, a well-designed laptop should be able to handle the heat output from all of its hardware (at stock speeds). Unfortunately, most gaming laptops can't do that, but I don't think that means manufacturers should be off the hook for providing decent performance.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

This sounds to me like the excuses Apple fans use whenever something doesn't work right. "It's not the computer's fault, you're just using it wrong!" In reality, a well-designed laptop should be able to handle the heat output from all of it's hardware (at stock speeds). Unfortunately, most gaming laptops can't do that, but I don't think that means manufacturers should be off the hook for providing the advertised performance on their machines.

In this case, yes, you are using it wrong. If you buy a gt1030, it won't run cyberpunk 2077 at 60fps in 4k; if you buy a 16 bit processor, it won't run 32bit programs. It is called common sense. Which in this case, if you buy a thin and light laptop, it will heat up.

"a well-designed laptop should be able to handle the heat output from all of it's hardware (at stock speeds)." Well for some thin and light laptop, it is designed to sustain a tdp of 7-15watt in the long run, which means the manufacture is doing excatically what it is suppose to do. 

BTW, no gaming laptop is using i5 8250u.

Furthermore, If you feel cheated, just sue them, talking to me really won't help.

21 minutes ago, Seamus X said:

In this case, yes, you are using it wrong. If you buy a gt1030, it won't run cyberpunk 2077 at 60fps in 4k; if you buy a 16 bit processor, it won't run 32bit programs. It is called common sense.

If you buy a gt1030, it should run cyberpunk 2077 at 100% utilization (and poorly) but it shouldn't overheat. Manufacturers need to build their components to survive running at 100%. If they can't do that, there's a problem.

Which in this case, if you buy a thin and light laptop, it will heat up.

To an extent, yes! Computer components create heat. But if OP's laptop is getting uncomfortably hot, then there's clearly an issue with either the manufacturer's tuning, or the included cooling solution. 

"a well-designed laptop should be able to handle the heat output from all of it's hardware (at stock speeds)." Well for some thin and light laptop, it is designed to sustain a tdp of 7-15watt in the long run, which means the manufacture is doing excatically what it is suppose to do. 

I agree! And that's why manufacturers should choose and tune hardware that can be adequately cooled in its case. But if a thin-and-light laptop with a relatively low TDP can't keep up, that's not the user's fault. 

BTW, no gaming laptop is using i5 8250u.

Just because a laptop isn't marketed as being 'for gaming' doesn't mean it can't play games. OP even specified that it was overheating in games where the laptop met their requirements. 

Furthermore, If you feel cheated, just sue them, talking to me really won't help.

Touché, I guess? I just get frustrated when people defend crappy engineering from crappy manufacturers by trying to blame the user. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Laptops are basically about balancing 3 traits: performance, weight&size, value. At best they're good at 2 of those, if you push into the max, you'll get one maxed trait. 

You cannot have thin and light with great gaming performance for an affordable price. 

Furthermore, laptops always run hotter, maybe even uncomfortable hot to the touch.that doesn't mean it overheats. Cooling also depends on the position of the laptop, the amount of dust in it and the age of the thermal compound. OP didn't mention neither the temps nor the age of the device.

It's also an MX110 ... That's about half the performance of a 1030.

If you buy a car with a 60hp 1l engine and redline it all the time you can't complain about the wear and tear, the noise, fluid consumption and overall lack of usable performance. It's the wrong engine if you constantly need more.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

4 hours ago, Nshchal said:

iss 1.PNG

iss 2.PNG

It's a thin and light with poor cooling. No wonder it overheats and lowers performance.

If you haven't already open it up and blow the fan and heatsink out with compressed air.