Small Form Factor machine help

Budget (including currency): USD - no budget set

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk, Modded Skyrim, Modded Fallout 4, and numerous others to count.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Before I get into my current parts selection I feel I need to explain my situation. Do to budget restraints I'm moving into a small RV, which has a 50amp power connection. It will be stationary and permanently connected to power. However, after all the arrangements were done and setup, I got offered a new job. So yea that budget problem isn't a problem anymore, but I'm still moving into the RV. 😄

So I'm wanting to build something that'll allow me to continue doing, somewhat, hardcore gaming and enjoying all the advantages of modern tech, but won't be to much draw on the power.

Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wQzZYg

These parts are simply my dream build to put in there, I fully expect to swap everything out. The SSDs are all place holders, just to remind myself exactly how many the motherboard can handle. As for the Video Card, I'm wanting that to be either a RTX 3080, 3080ti, or 3090. Though it should be noted if I can get better power use out of a 3070 or 3070ti, then that's going to be the best option. It should also be noted that I do intend to liquid cool the machine, and if possible I would love to be able to run 4k at 120fps (I do have a TV that can handle that, that will be in the RV), however the majority of the time I will be using a 1440p 144fps monitor.

Case: https://www.velkase.com/products/velka-7

For now I've chosen the Velka-7, but if the 3070 is the better option this will get changed to a Velka-5. Do to the living situation, space is a premium. So the smaller the case the better. I will be making modifications to the case, and most of the tubing will end up being run externally, as will the radiator(s), and probably the reservoir.

Right now I'm just planning out the project, I will probably actually build it later this year, possibly early next year. Depending on what life throws my way.

Any advice, and/or recommendations, on what would be better for my needs would be greatly appreciated.

Significant platform changes coming this fall. I'm not sure planning now is worth serious effort.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, Alchemi said:

Budget (including currency): USD - no budget set

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk, Modded Skyrim, Modded Fallout 4, and numerous others to count.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Before I get into my current parts selection I feel I need to explain my situation. Do to budget restraints I'm moving into a small RV, which has a 50amp power connection. It will be stationary and permanently connected to power. However, after all the arrangements were done and setup, I got offered a new job. So yea that budget problem isn't a problem anymore, but I'm still moving into the RV. 😄

So I'm wanting to build something that'll allow me to continue doing, somewhat, hardcore gaming and enjoying all the advantages of modern tech, but won't be to much draw on the power.

Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wQzZYg

These parts are simply my dream build to put in there, I fully expect to swap everything out. The SSDs are all place holders, just to remind myself exactly how many the motherboard can handle. As for the Video Card, I'm wanting that to be either a RTX 3080, 3080ti, or 3090. Though it should be noted if I can get better power use out of a 3070 or 3070ti, then that's going to be the best option. It should also be noted that I do intend to liquid cool the machine, and if possible I would love to be able to run 4k at 120fps (I do have a TV that can handle that, that will be in the RV), however the majority of the time I will be using a 1440p 144fps monitor.

Case: https://www.velkase.com/products/velka-7

For now I've chosen the Velka-7, but if the 3070 is the better option this will get changed to a Velka-5. Do to the living situation, space is a premium. So the smaller the case the better. I will be making modifications to the case, and most of the tubing will end up being run externally, as will the radiator(s), and probably the reservoir.

Right now I'm just planning out the project, I will probably actually build it later this year, possibly early next year. Depending on what life throws my way.

Any advice, and/or recommendations, on what would be better for my needs would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure you wanna go intel and oc it .-.

Intel are still on 14nm and will draw more power than amd, does power draw matter for most ppl? No not really

Does power draw matter in an rv? Yes duh

Go amd, and if you want performance just enable pbo and if you want it to run efficiently then you might wanna mess around with curve optimizer and setting voltages and stuff.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9ZpF2V

Heres a half decent pcpartpicker list be me .-.

amd cause more efficient

Air cooling cause unless you are ocing water is uneccesary (ocing wont yeild much anyways)

and a few blank parts cause those will be up to you.

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Intel are still on 14nm and will draw more power than amd, does power draw matter for most ppl? No not really

Go amd, and if you want performance just enable pbo and if you want it to run efficiently then you might wanna mess around with curve optimizer and setting voltages and stuff.

amd cause more efficient

Air cooling cause unless you are ocing water is uneccesary (ocing wont yeild much anyways)

Out of curiosity, why the L9 for a 5800x. That thing will struggle.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

38 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

amd cause more efficient

I'm not set on Intel. I just wasn't sure which one had the better performance. As stated that's the wish machine, not what I'll ultimately have to go with.

As for the air vs liquid debate. Partly to open up a little more space inside the case (mostly on the gpu side), but also because I already have over half the supplies I need for liquid from a previous project, that never got off the ground. So it's just kind of a "why not?" thing on that front. Though I suppose there is possible arguments on both side as to weather it would use more or less power. At minimum default air cooling would have 4 fans to power the unit, that plus any excess heat from it being an extremely tight case (though with  lots of possible airways, this would mean an increase in heat which would cause extra power leakage (if I'm understanding that side of the equation correctly) though shouldn't be a noticeable amount. So it all comes down to the 4 fans and extra RGB that's on almost every single video card, vs. 2 Fans and a pump on power, with a minor performance boost on the water cooling side, though most like not an important one, except maybe with the 3070 and 3070ti hitting that 120fps at 4k, for the rare times I want to do that.

Edit: It is also technically possible to reduce the liquid loop down to a single 120mm radiator. Though that's usually not recommended for cooling 2 units.

Posting a follow up to my previous statement on power consumption when it comes to air or liquid cooling. Doing a little more research into the matter, it seems fans on average use about 1.8W of power on average, where is The most likely pump I'd be using uses 18W. A solid 10x more power. So the question then comes, would the Power Leakage, and additional power consumption from hotter units, in a tightly packed air cool environment, cause a significant enough increase?  I mean we're looking at 7.2W vs 21.6W.

I also want to mention the RGB, that is on every single GPU fan set up by default. Looking into power consumption on that, it seems typically (depending on controller used) RGB uses 1.6 to 2 watts, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a foot of RGB on any GPU fan...... I hope there isn't a foot of RGB on them.

Edit: Extra parts of interest I've come across, that should be noted (yay power research while packing x.x) So while that 1.6 to 2 watts is the average based on which controller use, some fans can use a good bit more power upwards to 6, even 8 watts. While I fully expect Noctua to be on the lower end of the power consumption, I don't have that kind of faith in GPU fans, but I also don't expect them to be up at 6 watts per fan. This does close the power gap between air and liquid quiet a bit. Then for liquid I would end up using Be Quiet!'s Silent Wings 3, which specifically state they use a lower than normal power consumption. This shortens the gap quiet a bit between the two options. This means it really does come down to power draw under lower temps.