GPU cooling issues

da na

My HP workstation (z620) has a big metal bar that blocks all the hot air from the GPU from being blown out the exhaust fan, like this

image.png.83cae68d32a3aedbedc8429926776156.png

The only solution I've found so far is using a blower GPU, but I want a RTX 3060, 6700XTor 3060ti (whatever I can find in stock in a few months). 

Is there anything else I can do? If I remove the bar I lose half my CPU cores and half my RAM since it is the backplate for the second CPU expansion card.

Thanks!

Try to use drill and make some holes or use dremel for some openings, if u will make some holes or any modifications to the case I strongly recommend adding fan to the case. Also, mod bar and back of the case together, it will improve airflow. 

ivenst in a new case that isnt made like this. Blower cards typically get really hot and the blower fan would still need fresh cold air which doesnt sound possible in the case you have now.

28 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

ivenst in a new case that isnt made like this. Blower cards typically get really hot and the blower fan would still need fresh cold air which doesnt sound possible in the case you have now.

Well it's a HP workstation case that uses a proprietary motherboard. I can't just buy a new case.

10 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well it's a HP workstation case that uses a proprietary motherboard. I can't just buy a new case.

So, your only option is that I suggest. Drilling holes and adding fan 

The z620 has a fan in the bottom front so air is not an issue in this case.

How do I know?

I had this exact computer sine late 2015 as my render machine and it had a fan in the front to provide the gpu's with cool air. Was equipped with a quadro k6000 and k5000 (before the k5000 there was a 580 in it).

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

The z620 has a fan in the bottom front so air is not an issue in this case.

How do I know?

I had this exact computer sine late 2015 as my render machine and it had a fan in the front to provide the gpu's with cool air. Was equipped with a quadro k6000 and k5000 (before the k5000 there was a 580 in it).

Yes, the bottom front blows cool air onto the GPUs, but there is no fan to remove the hot air from the case. The Quadros in there blew the hot air out the back since they were blower coolers.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yes, the bottom front blows cool air onto the GPUs, but there is no fan to remove the hot air from the case. The Quadros in there blew the hot air out the back since they were blower coolers.

The 2 fans on the back do it and the holes at the back next to the gpu. It's plenty good enough for cooling. I mean it kept a 580 cooled that was smooshed against a quadro k6000 rendering away for weeks on end. This case is quite well designed for airflow.

That metal bar is for the second cpu unit in the z620 and a case brace too.

I forgot to mention but my z620 was the dual cpu one so part from the 2 gpu's it also had to cool an extra xeon e5 2697v2 and it did it well. A simple card like a 3060 or 6700xt is not going to produce as much heat as a quadro k6000 + gtx 580 + xeon e5 2697v2 all running together at 100% for weeks on end.

Can always drill holes on the side cover and install a fan.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

17 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The 2 fans on the back do it and the holes at the back next to the gpu. It's plenty good enough for cooling. I mean it kept a 580 cooled that was smooshed against a quadro k6000 rendering away for weeks on end. This case is quite well designed for airflow.

That metal bar is for the second cpu unit in the z620 and a case brace too.

I forgot to mention but my z620 was the dual cpu one so part from the 2 gpu's it also had to cool an extra xeon e5 2697v2 and it did it well. A simple card like a 3060 or 6700xt is not going to produce as much heat as a quadro k6000 + gtx 580 + xeon e5 2697v2 all running together at 100% for weeks on end.

OK, good to know. I also have the dual CPUs, two Xeon e5-2690 (135w), and my RX 570 would frequently overheat in that case. But it was the XFX model known for not having a great cooler so it was most likely the card's fault. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

OK, good to know. I also have the dual CPUs, two Xeon e5-2690 (135w), and my RX 570 would frequently overheat in that case. But it was the XFX model known for not having a great cooler so it was most likely the card's fault. Thanks!

Oh hey haha had the same card before too. Damn thing would go 85c in a haf x and did better in the Raven V2 with the fans removed and just cooled by the high airflow from the case :p.

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Also as others have said if for some reason it isn't enough side panel hole is always an option just make sure it does NOT come above the metal bar as otherwise you'll mess up the airflow pattern in the case.