Which motherboard I need for just one GPU?

Hey guys and girls, first of all I'm new here , second I want to build myself a new PC for gaming and this will be the first one I build.

I've chosen the next components:

-i7 4770k

- Asus GTX 770

-Kingston 120GB SSD

- Seagate 1TB HDD

-Corsair Vengance 8GB RAM 1600MHz

- Cooler Master 625W

-Corsair H100i CPU cooler

and I don't know which motherboard i should get

I'm only using one Graphics Card, and I've narrowed my options to the followings:

-Asus Maximus Vl Gene

- Asus Z87M-Plus

Or if you guys have another options please let me know and help me decide.

Thanks 

FIrst of all, get an i5 4670k if its gaming

Diamond 5 in League :)

Any of those motherboards should work.... Just look at the PCIe slots.... O.o

FIrst of all, get an i5 4670k if its gaming

that depends on his budget and i would guess hes done a a little research and has his reason 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Whichever it doesnt really matter but fore OC the Maxumus will probably do a bit better

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Depends on the color scheme you want to go for as they'll both serve you well. 

Whichever it doesnt really matter but fore OC the Maxumus will probably do a bit better

I specifically remember JJ from ASUS saying that every board with the z87 chipset from ASUS will OC the same.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3lmIB

Those are my edits. I got you an i5, a better GPU, and a few changes here and there. You never included a case so I threw in a fractal R4 because everyone tends to like those. Also replaced Kingston SSD with an Intel since it will last longer.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Who cares that he picked a i7, jesus people. Let people spend their money how they wish. 

Depends on the color scheme you want to go for as they'll both serve you well. 

I specifically remember JJ from ASUS saying that every board with the z87 chipset from ASUS will OC the same.

Including the tiny itx boards? I doubt it.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Who cares that he picked a i7, jesus people. Let people spend their money how they wish. 

How big is the gaming performance difference between i5 and i7?

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

Anyway both Motherboards should work perfectly fine. I can't recommend you to get a 4670k to be honest because I like to spend money myself too haha. Anyway gl with your build!

Cheese

Including the tiny itx boards? I doubt it.

The OP is looking at mATX boards...and yes they do overclock identically, even boards like the RoG impact.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

The OP is looking at mATX boards...and yes they do overclock identically, even boards like the RoG impact.

Wow. 

I guess gone are the days of that difference then.

do ASUS still stick to the whole 8 phase VRM thing then?

OP could go for which ever board they wanted then.

Don't waste your time with the H100i, the closed loop liquid coolers are way over rated.  Save some money and go with an Noctua NH-U12S you will get the same performance for 1/2 the price.

Gaming Rig: Corsair Graphite 600T, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Intel I7-4770K, Corsair H100i, Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866MHZ 32GB, ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX780TI, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 1TB WD Back, 4TB WD Green, Corsair AX860i

Work Rig: Fractal Design Arc Midi 2, Asus Z87-A, Intel I7-4770K, Noctua NH-U12S, Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600MHZ 32GB, ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX 760, 1TB Samsung EVO 840 (x2), 4TB WD Green, Corsair RM750