Router IP adress changed

TazerXI

I run a minecraft server on my PC for some friends, and a couple times the IP adress they need to use (my router IP adress) has changed. Is there a way to keep it the same? Thanks in advance

Quote me for an answer, and to help track conversations

PC: tuf b450m plus gaming, ryzen 5 3600, 1650 OC (gigabyte windforce), corsair vengeance 16gb @ 3200mhz

The router's ip maybe in DHCP mode which means the ip is given to the router by the isp, which can change sometimes. You want to change the ip to static and fill in the dns and custom ip you want.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

2 minutes ago, Gamer4714 said:

The router's ip maybe in DHCP mode which means the ip is given to the router by the isp, which can change sometimes. You want to change the ip to static and fill in the dns and custom ip you want.

thx, I will look into it

PC: tuf b450m plus gaming, ryzen 5 3600, 1650 OC (gigabyte windforce), corsair vengeance 16gb @ 3200mhz

Your ISP has a dynamic ip address, you can either use a free ddns (like no-ip) or pay for a static ip.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

16 minutes ago, TazerXI said:

I run a minecraft server on my PC for some friends, and a couple times the IP adress they need to use (my router IP adress) has changed. Is there a way to keep it the same? Thanks in advance

I assume you're talking about your public IP and not the machines internal IP.

Your external IP is controlled by your ISP, you have no control over whether it changes or not, some ISPs give you one address forever (AKA a static IP) while others will change everyone every few days to weeks (AKA dynamic IP). If yours is changing then it means you have a dynamic IP, the only way to get a permanent address is to use a service called DDNS. You can either buy a domain and setup a DDNS record or use a free service like www.noip.com and a tool that you install on the server to update the DNS record when your IP changes.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

I assume you're talking about your public IP and not the machines internal IP.

Your external IP is controlled by your ISP, you have no control over whether it changes or not, some ISPs give you one address forever (AKA a static IP) while others will change everyone every few days to weeks (AKA dynamic IP). If yours is changing then it means you have a dynamic IP, the only way to get a permanent address is to use a service called DDNS. You can either buy a domain and setup a DDNS record or use a free service like www.noip.com and a tool that you install on the server to update the DNS record when your IP changes.

OK, it is fine. It doesn't happen often and when it does, I can just change the ip I am connecting to

3 minutes ago, TazerXI said:

OK, it is fine. It doesn't happen often and when it does, I can just change the ip I am connecting to

DDNS really is not difficult to setup at all and it has another benefit, instead of giving out your IP you'll get a domain name (like tazerxi.ddns.net for example).

Go sign up for a free account at noip, choose your domain name, download their DNS update utility to your server, run it, sign into your account and bam, its done. The only caveat is you have to verify the account once every 28 days for a free account, they send you an email, you click a link and you're good for another 28 days.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

DDNS really is not difficult to setup at all and it has another benefit, instead of giving out your IP you'll get a domain name (like tazerxi.ddns.net for example).

Go sign up for a free account at noip, choose your domain name, download their DNS update utility to your server, run it, sign into your account and bam, its done.

ok, I m,ight do this then.

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Go sign up for a free account at noip, choose your domain name, download their DNS update utility to your server, run it, sign into your account and bam, its done.

Done, and it was simple Thanks 🙂