Steam Library on NAS?

Little bit of a brainstorm I had:

Would it be feasible to put my steam library on my NAS (10G connection)? 

I think this would be really convenient to free up about a TB of space on my personal storage. And it would be extra awesome if my roommate and I could share the same folder for our steam games. Albeit, may be difficult if config files are stored in the steam library location. Do you know if that may be an issue?

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

You can put your steam library anywhere, load times might be an issue, but that's neither here nor there.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ive done this, it works fine mostly. It has a few more bugs and issues, and is slower, so I don't see a reason to

Mind elaborating on the issues you encountered?

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

9 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Mind elaborating on the issues you encountered?

Sometimes the network takes longer to initalize than the system does to boot, so steam doesn't see storage, and you need to restart steam.

Sometimes you get network issues.

I see it as a no gain, but more annoyances and setup.

And non steam games don't like smb often, so you need to use iscsi.

I'm not sure it's okay to have multiple steam clients accessing the same files.  It's one thing to have the same steam client, with multiple accounts, access one collection of installations, but two separate steam clients?  Some of those games store player data, game settings, and saves in those folders and you could run into some conflicts there since nether steam client is 'aware' of the other.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade