3D Space Cadet Pinball lagging really weirdly

LloydLynx

So I had fully restored an old Sony VAIO PCV-RX755 desktop tower to factory condition, both hardware and software wise. I asked about a different issue with it in this thread, but we're hear to discuss Pinball issues. Specifically the pre-installed Windows XP pinball.

The issue I'm having is very inconsistent input lag. One example would be holding down space to launch the ball, but it doesn't release for many seconds after releasing the space key. Another issue is that the paddles have massive input lag when the ball is heading toward them. You'd have to see the video to understand what I mean. It also lags the Windows cursor really badly half the time.

I already checked and it's not maxing out the CPU or RAM(a 2ghz P4 and 512mb RAM should be plenty for this game). I'm pretty sure it's not the GPU having issues because the issue exists on both the old and new SiS driver, as well as the GeForce MX440 I put in temporarily(mentioned in the previous thread about this PC). This PC preforms fine otherwise so I don't know what the issue could be.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

First of all, fantastic repair. Always good to see a retro machine like this restored to its former 2000's glory.

Try reinstalling the application if possible. Sometimes a driver update can mess up the files for an application, and when reinstalled it will work. I've done that on Win98 machines a few times, and also once on 10, so I believe it's not a rare problem.

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

First of all, fantastic repair. Always good to see a retro machine like this restored to its former 2000's glory.

Try reinstalling the application if possible. Sometimes a driver update can mess up the files for an application, and when reinstalled it will work. I've done that on Win98 machines a few times, and also once on 10, so I believe it's not a rare problem.

Thanks!

This Pinball game ships with every version of Windows XP and doesn't show up in the Add or Remove Programs list, so I'm not really sure how I would reinstall it.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

2 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

Thanks!

This Pinball game ships with every version of Windows XP and doesn't show up in the Add or Remove Programs list, so I'm not really sure how I would reinstall it.

Perhaps go to Program Files and look for keywords such as the dev name or the game name? Delete that folder, then reinstall?

7 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Perhaps go to Program Files and look for keywords such as the dev name or the game name? Delete that folder, then reinstall?

It looks like the executable and all the necessary files are in there, and I don't think I wanna delete any of that stuff because I don't have an installer for it.

I just removed the nvidia drivers(from when I put the card in temporarily) and it seems a lot less laggy, but still on the edge of playable. I'm going to try using System Restore to bring it back to the very first login on the day I did the recovery. I'll get back to this thread with the results.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

@Mel0nMan
Unfortunately a full restore just brought back the lag.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain