GPU died during benchmark; PC wont boot after

Hi guys,

I'm new here but been in the community for a while now.

I got this GTX 970 from Inno3D from a friend of mine after he upgraded to a 3090(lucky guy. got it for MSRP on preorder)

After installing it in my pc, it booted. Display took a while to show up, but it worked.

Installed drivers and everything, and things all looked okay. I had a 550W PSU from Cooler Master installed at the time.

Then during medium load use, it shut down once. After rebooting all seemed fine again for a while. 

Just to see what the problem would be, i wanted to run a full pc test/benchmark just to see if it was the card/compatibility issues.

Benchmark: CPU, ok, RAM, ok, storage drives, ok. The moment when it tried to 'test' the GPU, pc shut down entirely and wouldnt boot anymore.

After removing GPU from system, it worked again. I figured it was the PSU that was not good enough, so i ordered a 730W one from Xilence(german brand, quality is pretty good)

Installed the GPU and the new PSU, pc didnt boot. After removing gpu again, no issues. In the meantime i got another GPU to test if my PCI-E slot on my motherboard wasnt wrecked, that was not the case, works fine.

What could have happened to the GPU and would it still be repairable? I feel like it fried and now its shorting out. Im going to remove the cooler today and see if any capacitors are blown/if there is anything visually wrong with the card.

What else could i look for what could be fried/ would this be fixable?

Thanks guys!

He probably upgraded to that 3090 because that 970 was already flaking out.  You just made it complete the silicon suicide.

Maybe contact razorwind on Hardforum.  He knows a few things about GPU component repair.  But most likely you're going to need special tools, a multimeter, a VERY good soldering iron and a hot air reflow station.  I do not know if he allows people to send him GPU's for a fee, you would have to ask him that yourself.  (Plus I don't know if new members can send PM's so just tag him in one of the existing threads).

If you take the entire GPU apart and remove all pads and paste, investigate for burn marks or damage.  Then bathe the entire GPU in a soaking bath of 99% pure isopropyl alcohol for 15 minutes.  Then after it dries, apply new thermal paste and proper thickness thermal pads.  If that doesn't fix it, the card is dead and needs special attention that only an engineer can diagnose.