Newbie's New Build Help

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($178.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($91.19 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $545.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-22 10:55 EDT-0400

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

8 minutes ago, Downkey said:

What future upgradeability is needed?

Oh I dunno; simple things like a board that doesn't throttle itself, a power supply capable of handling more than just an APU, a full-size ATX formfactor for expandability, a current-gen processor that'd be okay for more than just basic HTPC work in 2021. Things that would keep it out of a landfill in the future.

e-waste.jpg.c891f36330ebe40f3edde13778f3deb5.jpg

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

8 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Oh I dunno; simple things like a board that doesn't throttle itself, a power supply capable of handling more than just an APU, a full-size ATX formfactor for expandability, a current-gen processor that'd be okay for more than just basic HTPC work in 2021. Things that would keep it out of a landfill in the future.

It's a decent 450W unit. It can take a GPU upgrade. But, why does it matter? OP won't be upgrading to a GPU probably ever, so why does it matter?
The board is fine for a 10600K/11400.
Also the reason we are recommending the 10600k over the 11400 is because the 11400 is $250 atm.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just for everyone's info,here is what I'm using right now as a system https://pcpartpicker.com/user/davidnavratil/saved/#view=QqgMnQ!, The case sits on my table and is so large!  That's 1 reason for getting a smaller case.  Never did use the Blu Ray Writer at all!  As you can see from my list there is no GPU, I can still watch a youtube 4k video using just the CPU without any problems.  1080p Media looks great also!  Thanks for all input, I've seemed to have stirred up some heat on this post.  Not my intention and I'm 73 yrs old and not too tech savoy! DN

9 hours ago, David Navratil said:

Any help would greatly be appreciated, Remember I'm not a gamer!!

Would a small formfactor system like a Asus PN50/PN51 be desirable? 

Small footprint while offering quite good office and regular usage performance. 

You can get such systems fully configured, or as Barebones to add memmory and storage. 

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/PN50-BBR065MD-Renoir-R5-4500U-USB3-1-Barebone/dp/B08TGXXGMK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=PN50&qid=1624396918&sr=8-3

As an example, just add memmory and storage and you have a very neat small formfactor machine

GoldenLag, Nice idea, however I really wanted something to build (Hobby Think)!  Tks however! DN

6 hours ago, David Navratil said:

GoldenLag, Nice idea, however I really wanted something to build (Hobby Think)!  Tks however! DN

It is still something you need to configure on your own. 

If you want something else, a ASrock Deskmini A300 is probably worth a look then. 

Stop this arguing and babbling bullshit

For basic tasks other than 4k movies or really intensive tasks like gaming or rendering a freaking core 2 quad pc is enough

Just buy a used ddr3 optiplex for like 50$ and shove a q6600 or e5450 and 8gb ddr3 in it and that will suit your movie (unless 4k) and office needs.

Heck if the performance is lacking just bsel the cpu (q6600) or oc via setfsb (q6600 and e5450), there are tutorials for these on yt.

If graphics is lacking just shove a gt 1030 or whatever old graphics card that is dx11 or dx12 like a gt 545 gt 645 gt 510, gt 730, etc. And oc it via msi afterburner.

If you have some really garbage local deals then just buy an asrock x300 barebones kit, shove a 3200g or 3400g in it, two 4gb sodimm (laptop) ddr4 (prefferably 3200mhz), and whatever cheap nvme ssd like the sn 550 or sn 750, all can be found at amazon

Good Folks, I'm the one who started this thread.  Let me rethink my needs, I was in such a hurry on Saturday because Amazon was having their Prime yearly sale and wanted to cash in on some deals.  But the more I think about this the more I want to slow down and take time to research hardware on the web.  I'm also going to lower my hardware budget.  I'm glad I started the thread in the 1st place, I've gotten some good advice and appreciate it.  Give me a couple of days to think this over and I will be back to begin again! Thanks David N.

2 hours ago, David Navratil said:

Let me rethink my needs, I was in such a hurry on Saturday because Amazon was having their Prime yearly sale and wanted to cash in on some deals.  But the more I think about this the more I want to slow down and take time to research hardware on the web.

sales can oddly enough be a way to easily waste money. 

but my suggestion is taking a look at barebones kits or minisystems like a PN50/51. They are neat, you can customize them a decent bit and offer reasonable hardware for the typical selling price. 

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

sales can oddly enough be a way to easily waste money. 

but my suggestion is taking a look at barebones kits or minisystems like a PN50/51. They are neat, you can customize them a decent bit and offer reasonable hardware for the typical selling price. 

I have been at Amazon most of today checking out some of these Minisystems , Especially ASrock (I used their motherboard on my 1st build) and also looking at Beelink! Thanks for the heads up! DN

On 6/22/2021 at 3:56 PM, OfficialTechSpace said:

You are talking nonsense. If the op was doing anything cpu intensive then you would have a point. Watching movies or doing simple office tasks isn't going to stress the cpu, so therefore it isn't going to throttle. The hardware unboxed video you linked is showing the worst case scenario when running blender for 1 hour. How is that relevant to the op ?

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

Watching movies or doing simple office tasks isn't going to stress the cpu, so therefore it isn't going to throttle.

The problem wasn't just that it would throttle under load, that board also enforces restrictive power limits, and has a power delivery so poor that it'd worsen the CPU's boosting behavior even under insignificant load. My point wasn't that it would throttle while streaming movies, just that it'd cap the parts performance far lower than it should be and not have the capabilities of being used for anything more than that. Hence why I called it e-waste after-the fact.

Disagree all you like, but it's just a misunderstanding on your and Hermans part if you don't see my point properly.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

11 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

The problem wasn't just that it would throttle under load, that board also enforces restrictive power limits, and has a power delivery so poor that it'd worsen the CPU's boosting behavior even under insignificant load. My point wasn't that it would throttle while streaming movies, just that it'd cap the parts performance far lower than it should be and not have the capabilities of being used for anything more than that. Hence why I called it e-waste after-the fact.

Disagree all you like, but it's just a misunderstanding on your and Hermans part if you don't see my point properly.

The power limits are irrelevant for what the op is doing with the pc. He doesn't need a cpu that can turbo to 4.8GHz. The Asus B560 board in the video ran the i5 at 4.2GHz/4.3GHz which would be more than enough for watching movies and libra office. If it was me I would even say drop down to an i3 as that is 4c/8t.

17 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

don't see my point properly.

I think its worth noting that people completely see your point. Its just that the point is irrelevant given the context.