drive recovery

Surestgarlic2

I had a old computer that had some old files and things I would like to have back but it is blue screening so I have removed the hard drive and I just found it how can I get into the drive to access my old files

Put it in a working computer and hook it up? 

Could also get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function-EC-HD2B/dp/B0759567JT/

This is assuming "old" doesn't mean old enough the drive isn't SATA.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

You could just boot up Linux from a USB drive on the same old computer and look at the files there.

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Put it in a working computer and hook it up? 

Could also get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function-EC-HD2B/dp/B0759567JT/

This is assuming "old" doesn't mean old enough the drive isn't SATA.

no it was made during the transition from old ribbon connectors to sata so it doesn't have SATA

3 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

You could just boot up Linux from a USB drive on the same old computer and look at the files there.

to be honest I feel kinda stupid now for not thinking of that before I put the computer away in storage 

5 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

will tiny core work

5 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

will tiny core work

Haven't heard of that but any linux distro will work aslong as it has something to explore the filesystem with. Unless you're also comfortable with only the terminal.

52 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Haven't heard of that but any linux distro will work aslong as it has something to explore the filesystem with. Unless you're also comfortable with only the terminal.

what distro would be good to do this without terminal it has athlon 64 and 256 mb ddr ram

AntiX is pretty good for systems with that little RAM.

Hopefully that system isn't too old to boot from USB.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

no it was made during the transition from old ribbon connectors to sata so it doesn't have SATA

Might there be an adapter for it?

Does it say what kind of connector it is?

1 minute ago, Cool_Evlo said:

I would have to check and I don't know when I will get the chance but I don't think so

4 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

if there is any way you can tell by me telling you the specs when it came out it had 512 mb ddr ram it might have had 1gb I'm not sure but it had a athlon 64 cpu and I think a 240 gb hdd it is a ild Compaq presario tower but idk what model. sorry I dont use punctuation or comma's

3 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

if there is any way you can tell by me telling you the specs when it came out it had 512 mb ddr ram it might have had 1gb I'm not sure but it had a athlon 64 cpu and I think a 240 gb hdd it is a ild Compaq presario tower but idk what model. sorry I dont use punctuation or comma's

Does this look like it? If not could you send a picture?

Image 21 - Compaq Presario 5000 Series 5WV294 Retro Gaming PC AMD Athlon 1GHz 512MB Boots

Well it's either IDE or SATA, and yes there are USB adapters for both. Just post a picture of the drive's connector.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

24 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Image 21 - Compaq Presario 5000 Series 5WV294 Retro Gaming PC AMD Athlon 1GHz 512MB Boots

no this is not it it looks just like this one 

Screenshot_20210621-191144.png

29 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well it's either IDE or SATA, and yes there are USB adapters for both. Just post a picture of the drive's connector.

it is ide I just did some googling and figured out 

39 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

https://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-presario-sr1750nx-tower-athlon-64-3500-plus-2-2-ghz-1-gb-200-gb/

I think the link is it but I remember it getting sent in for repair all of the time when I was a kid because I got it from a family member but everything on this list is right even the disc drive so I'm pretty sure this is it but it doesn't have any sata devices right now