disappointing performance

Good afternoon!

6 months ago I received my 3070 and I feel that something wrong is not right. I'm not getting the performance I expected or believed I would.

Before the 3070 I had a 1660 ti where the performance was equal or even better in certain games.

My build consists of:

[ICODE]Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Hexa-Core 3.4GHz w/ Turbo 3.9GHz

Motherboard: Micro-ATX ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING

RAM memory: G.SKILL Aegis 8GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL16

Graphics Card: MSI GeForce® RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC 8G

HDD/SSD: 1 SSD M.2 1TB + 1 SATA 250GB SSD + 2 HDD 1TB

Source (PSU): BitFenix Whisper M 750W 80+ Gold

Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro[/ICODE]

Monitor Specs: [ICODE]1440p 165Hz[/ICODE]

My first guess would be from the CPU bottleneck. But after watching some videos of a build similar to mine (CPU and GPU) with better results. Leaves to question the RAM or even another defective component.

However, with the 3070 upgrade underway I was forced to upgrade my PSU from 430w to 750w.

After switching to the new PSU some problems arose.

• First day, Windows only detected a RAM stick. I turned off the computer and swapped one stick slot for the other and it was OK.
  • The next day the computer started beeping that indicated it had no GPU. I turned off the computer, took it out and put the GPU back in the same slot (still 1660 ti at the time)

With this, I soon began to doubt the stability of my Motherboard.

Today, 6 months later, I don't know if something is really damaged causing general instability, therefore worse performance. But not other problems happened since.

I would appreciate any input from you, thank you!

Just in case: UserBenckmark

Have you tried DDU for reinstall graphics drivers or clean install of OS?

I edit my posts more often than not

Since the GPU PCIE lanes and the memory are directly controlled from the CPU i would check that out first.

Its simple enough to take out the CPU and reinsert it to test if it wasn't a bad connection anywhere.

53 minutes ago, Aangoan said:

Good afternoon!

6 months ago I received my 3070 and I feel that something wrong is not right. I'm not getting the performance I expected or believed I would.

Before the 3070 I had a 1660 ti where the performance was equal or even better in certain games.

My build consists of:

[ICODE]Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Hexa-Core 3.4GHz w/ Turbo 3.9GHz

Motherboard: Micro-ATX ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING

RAM memory: G.SKILL Aegis 8GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL16

Graphics Card: MSI GeForce® RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC 8G

HDD/SSD: 1 SSD M.2 1TB + 1 SATA 250GB SSD + 2 HDD 1TB

Source (PSU): BitFenix Whisper M 750W 80+ Gold

Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro[/ICODE]

Monitor Specs: [ICODE]1440p 165Hz[/ICODE]

My first guess would be from the CPU bottleneck. But after watching some videos of a build similar to mine (CPU and GPU) with better results. Leaves to question the RAM or even another defective component.

However, with the 3070 upgrade underway I was forced to upgrade my PSU from 430w to 750w.

After switching to the new PSU some problems arose.

• First day, Windows only detected a RAM stick. I turned off the computer and swapped one stick slot for the other and it was OK.
  • The next day the computer started beeping that indicated it had no GPU. I turned off the computer, took it out and put the GPU back in the same slot (still 1660 ti at the time)

Today, 6 months later, I don't know if something is really damaged causing general instability, therefore worse performance. But not other problems happened since.

I would appreciate any input from you, thank you!

Just in case: UserBenckmark

Welcome to my world. 3700X with 3070. Absoulute best performance in EVERY GAME except warzone. lol I cant even get 110fps on low 🤣

2 hours ago, ClxMase said:

Welcome to my world. 3700X with 3070. Absoulute best performance in EVERY GAME except warzone. lol I cant even get 110fps on low 🤣

Got ~150 with a 3600 / 3070 …  I will admit it wasnt stable, but thats about the average, maxed out at like 190.

what i ended up doing was max everything out at 1440p and lock framerate to 120 and that was surprisingly stable, few dips to like  118 but rarely.

nothing overclocked, gpu slightly undervolted.

well, idk where these discrepancies come from tbh, maybe background processes etc (i dont have any noteworthy ones, not even windows updates ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  )

3 hours ago, Aangoan said:

well, this does sound odd…

any overclocks etc?

if so remove them all and run a couple of Superposition benchmarks with "4K optimized" settings and post your best and worst scores…

Just that we have a baseline.

Gotta think about stability later, Id like to know about actual, possible performance (issues) first. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I think Warzone just sucks. I see one of these threads every couple of days.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

7 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I think Warzone just sucks. I see one of these threads every couple of days.

its the *only* reason i downloaded and played it for a few weeks. And yes, yes, it absolutely does, one of the worst games i ever played (i hate fps shooters, that didnt help lol)

But, performance was pretty ok overall, not unexpectedly so, because  the graphics are pretty low tier, sure some shiny stuff here and there, but overall textures are nothing to write home about…

Tldr: performance was pretty much as expected, even a bit better than it should have been i think.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Definitely a CPU bottleneck with a 3070. Your going to need a new CPU/MB. Avoid Ryzen 3000, Intel 10th/11th gen is faster and cheaper than Ryzen 3000 these days.

Something else could be happening, but in many games a 2600 will 100% be the problem. I wouldn't be shocked if the a320 board is the root of all other problems. Even x370 boards have tons of bugs on Ryzen 2000/3000. It's not uncommon for even a 400 series board to have issues with Zen3.

IMO 6 cores is silly with a 3070+ when buying new in 2021. Especially for someone who wanted 6 cores when a 2600 was new. New games with a beastly RTX 3070+ are now showing 6 isn't enough in 2021. (INB4 everyone starts yelling at me 6 cores is enough - they likely haven't tried more with a high end GPU in modern games)

A 10850k is $319 if your lucky enough to live near microcenter. If you don't live near microcenter I'd choose a 10700/11700, which ever is cheaper including the different model version. It'll be a giant upgrade.

Get 8/10/12 cores depending on budget. The 10700/10850k/5900x are the best price/performance options. But anything with 8+ cores either Zen3 or 10/11th gen intel will be perfect, some are just less of a deal. (IMO If you were my friend, I'd be trying to convince you to jump all the way up to a 10850k 10 core, get 1 tier above what's now the minimum with a beastly GPU to be safe. Plus it's cheaper/faster/more cores than a 5800x, a win win win.)

Zen3 has come down in price recently though, but its still quite a bit more expensive for 3-5% faster in games. If choosing Zen3, only put it on a 500 series board. B550 is cheaper and newer than x570, it has a better newer design than many of the budget-mid tier x570 boards. If you don't need the pcie layout of x570 a B550 board at anything under $250-$300 USD is better than x570.

Zen3 or 10th/11th gen intel will blow your mind, you can't go wrong with either. Enjoy your 3070. Cheers

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

its the *only* reason i downloaded and played it for a few weeks. And yes, yes, it absolutely does, one of the worst games i ever played (i hate fps shooters, that didnt help lol)

But, performance was pretty ok overall, not unexpectedly so, because  the graphics are pretty low tier, sure some shiny stuff here and there, but overall textures are nothing to write home about…

Tldr: performance was pretty much as expected, even a bit better than it should have been i think.

Same, I downloaded it a while back (on my 8700k system anyway) to test performance for another user here. I didn't have problems with performance, but then again I didn't really know wtf I was doing. I ran around some football stadium trying to not get killed and just looked at FPS, LOL

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, CryingWimp said:

Some else could be happening, but in many games a 2600 will 100% be the problem. I wouldnt be shocked if the a320 board is the root of all other problems. Even x370 boards have tons of bugs on Ryzen 2000/3000. It's not uncommon for even a 400 series board to have issues with Zen3.

i agree, couple of games, including "warzone" my 3600  goes to like 70-90%, I wager a 2600 isnt going to cut it, especially at 1080p, which I avoid like the plague lol.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity