Asus B550 Strix bios performance enhancer safe for a AIO cooled 5600x?

Hey all.

I have this motherboard : https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-model/ and noticed the performance enhancer while messing in the bios.  

Is this fine for 24/7 usage to be left on? the CPU even under heavy loads never exceeds 68c in my testing, and that should improve once my custom front panel arrives for my NZXT H510 Elite.  

I am concerned about reducing the life expectancy of the CPU somewhat though as I recall JayzTwoCents mentioning that overclocking Ryzen ended with a chip under performing afterwards.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Yeah that should be fine

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Is this the option in the BIOS called "Core performance boost"?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

Is this the option in the BIOS called "Core performance boost"?

Asus Performance Enhancement ON/OFF.

I tested with it running, and my AIO struggled to keep the CPU cool, so until the mesh front arrives I've disabled it for now.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

5 minutes ago, Tieox said:

Asus Performance Enhancement ON/OFF.

I tested with it running, and my AIO struggled to keep the CPU cool, so until the mesh front arrives I've disabled it for now.  

So I used to have the B450-F, your board's predecessor. It had a setting in the BIOS called Core Performance Boost. If it was off, none of my cores on 2600 or 3700X would ever turbo, even in heavy single-threaded workloads. If it was on, it would auto-yeet the voltage up really high, with a corresponding increase in temps.

I ended up having to set a voltage offset of like -0.250v to get my CPU's to turbo while making temperatures comfortable. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

So I used to have the B450-F, your board's predecessor. It had a setting in the BIOS called Core Performance Boost. If it was off, none of my cores on 2600 or 3700X would ever turbo, even in heavy single-threaded workloads. If it was on, it would auto-yeet the voltage up really high, with a corresponding increase in temps.

I ended up having to set a voltage offset of like -0.250v to get my CPU's to turbo while making temperatures comfortable. 

Before I re-enable it I will have to mess with voltages, was hitting 1.4v maximum sustaining around 1.38 but the temperature would jump to 70c far quicker then with Asus Performance Enhancer disabled.

It's more an idle curiosity this system has easily the punch to run Cyberpunk 1440p with RT ultra, DLSS on quality and a custom quality configuration and still get 75fps.  

IMO don't touch your voltage on Zen3, you'll likely have worse performance unless you really know how to tinker. Manual overclocking can give worse results with Zen3/Zen2, this is likely what Jay was talking about. A newer version of PBO is out now, any advice from before this is no longer accurate as well.

I believe Asus Performance Enhancer is just a standard PBO option, but renamed for Asus marketing.🤣

Voltage is the only setting that you can cause damage with. Also loadline calibration, through high voltage/spikes. Do your research before touching them, and at your own risk.

For Zen3

IMO I'd turn PBO on, this will lift the default power limits. This is safe because the voltage is still controlled by the default AMD voltage/frequency curve.

The default limits are so they can claim "x" power efficiency and that the chip will work on most motherboards/coolers. Your Strix motherboard is quality enough to OC even a 5950x.

PBO is the fastest/easier option to get more performance. If you want to tinker, use PBO curve optimizer. Set a negative curve, this will lower the voltage at any given frequency allowing your CPU to run at faster frequency at the same voltage.

Check your temps, anything below throttling is safe, but most people don't like being near it though. AMD official website says 90c. Most people are happy under 90c without concern, 95c is thermal throttling. I think at above 85c you'll drop 1-2 points of voltage on the curve, which may lower frequency by 25-50mhz.

CPUs are way better engineered and totally different than before, so any old temp recommendations are outdated. The engineers who designed and manufactured Zen3 choose 95c as the thermal throttle for a reason. AMD official website says 90c for Zen3. Above spec voltage killed way more OC'ed CPUs than within spec heat ever will.

To get the maximum performance at the thermal target you want, adjust to the highest PPT your still happy with temps.

Personally I use negative PBO curve optimizer set to per core. I used TDC to control my max temps/noise. I'm happy at 85c and less noise.

(just noticed you never mentioned Zen3 anywhere, I just assumed after seeing b550 😅 LOL its in the title, I was wondering why I kept thinking 5600x)

1 hour ago, CryingWimp said:

IMO don't touch your voltage on Zen3, you'll likely have worse performance unless you really know how to tinker. Manual overclocking can give worse results with Zen3/Zen2, this is likely what Jay was talking about. A newer version of PBO is out now, any advice from before this is no longer accurate as well.

I believe Asus Performance Enhancer is just a standard PBO option, but renamed for Asus marketing.🤣

Voltage is the only setting that you can cause damage with. Also loadline calibration, through high voltage/spikes. Do your research before touching them, and at your own risk.

For Zen3

IMO I'd turn PBO on, this will lift the default power limits. This is safe because the voltage is still controlled by the default AMD voltage/frequency curve.

The default limits are so they can claim "x" power efficiency and that the chip will work on most motherboards/coolers. Your Strix motherboard is quality enough to OC even a 5950x.

PBO is the fastest/easier option to get more performance. If you want to tinker, use PBO curve optimizer. Set a negative curve, this will lower the voltage at any given frequency allowing your CPU to run at faster frequency at the same voltage.

Check your temps, anything below throttling is safe, but most people don't like being near it. Most people run under 90c without concern, 95c is thermal throttling. I think at above 85c you'll drop 1-2 points of voltage on the curve, which may lower frequency by 25-50mhz.

CPUs are way better engineered and totally different than before, so any old temp recommendations are outdated. The engineers who designed and manufactured Zen3 choose 95c as the thermal throttle for a reason. Most people will say under 90c for Zen3, its an arbitrary number though. Above spec voltage killed way more OC'ed CPUs than within spec heat ever will.

To get the maximum performance at the thermal target you want, adjust to the highest PPT your still happy with temps.

Personally I use negative PBO curve optimizer set to per core. I used TDC to control my max temps/noise.

(just noticed you never mentioned Zen3 anywhere, I just assumed after seeing b550 😅)

Good info thanks, running a 5600x.