Help! My wifi is at 9 mb download at the highest

Freshmeat1

My home network has been on a steady curve downwards and just today it took my phone 10 minutes to download a file of 65 mb. I have tried reseting the router multipel times whiteout effekt and we are running a mesh network of deco m5. 

Please help, Thanks 

What are your download speeds? is your phone connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

What are your download speeds? is your phone connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

5Ghz and i know they are terrible and the worst is that was a rating that i got when no one was home and we are a family of 5

Just now, Freshmeat1 said:

5Ghz and i know they are terrible and the worst is that was a rating that i got when no one was home and we are a family of 5

You haven't answered my other question, what is your download speed? https://www.speedtest.net/ use this website.

You have to consider that whatever you're downloading the server might have a bandwidth limit itself.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

You haven't answered my other question, what is your download speed? https://www.speedtest.net/ use this website.

You have to consider that whatever you're downloading the server might have a bandwidth limit itself.

Really sorry the downloads peak was 7 Mbps 

2 minutes ago, Freshmeat1 said:

what are you paying for and what did it used to be at?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

That's your download speed shown on the website? how are far are you from the router?

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

what are you paying for and what did it used to be at?

I believe that we are paying for 30 Mbps, I don´t know exactly as i'm not the one paying it and it was fine until maybe a half year ago the it started to shug a lot. I don't have a reading from before.

2 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

That's your download speed shown on the website? how are far are you from the router?

The site shows 7 Mbps for download and 0.22 for upload and I am maybe 3,5 meter from the router but it is behind a wall

1 minute ago, Freshmeat1 said:

but it is behind a wall

That can be a decent problem, moreso with 5 GHz as those frequencies are more easily absorbed by whatever is between you and the router.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

That can be a decent problem, moreso with 5 GHz as those frequencies are more easily absorbed by whatever is between you and the router.

But it is not just a problem for me it has gotten worse in the entire house 

3 minutes ago, Freshmeat1 said:

How old is the router? and is it a router/modem or only a router. You mentioned that you're still having issues with it, best thing to do is call your internet provider and tell them that you're having issues with your internet connection and also tell that you've reset your router multiple times and it still hasn't fixed the issue.

3 minutes ago, Freshmeat1 said:

How far away, behind what walls/objects other people are and the radiation pattern of the router will all influence their experience too.

What I would try:

1. Connect to your router with an ethernet cable and do the speedtest again. If you get close to the full 30 Mbps, it's more likely to be the WiFi connection
  2. Connect to WiFi, but do a speedtest being close to the router. If you get higher speed, or close to max speed then it's the walls/objects in the way that is the problem.

If nothing helps, maybe it's an issue with your ISP (try contacting them) or the router is on its way out maybe.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

How old is the router? and is it a router/modem or only a router. You mentioned that you're still having issues with it, best thing to do is call your internet provider and tell them that you're having issues with your internet connection and also tell that you've reset your router multiple times and it still hasn't fixed the issue.

The router is probable 10 years old and it is only a router that is the connected to a mesh network. 

The router is probable 10 years old and it is only a router that is the connected to a mesh network. 

Well that could explain the poor speeds you're getting, your router is old. What model is it?

23 minutes ago, tikker said:

How far away, behind what walls/objects other people are and the radiation pattern of the router will all influence their experience too.

What I would try:

1. Connect to your router with an ethernet cable and do the speedtest again. If you get close to the full 30 Mbps, it's more likely to be the WiFi connection
  2. Connect to WiFi, but do a speedtest being close to the router. If you get higher speed, or close to max speed then it's the walls/objects in the way that is the problem.

If nothing helps, maybe it's an issue with your ISP (try contacting them) or the router is on its way out maybe.

Now I have tried the speed next to the router, connected to the router and in other places in the house but it is the same

6 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Well that could explain the poor speeds you're getting, your router is old. What model is it?

It is a TG799vac the black one when googled 

10 minutes ago, Freshmeat1 said:

Now I have tried the speed next to the router, connected to the router and in other places in the house but it is the same

Seems like you have an issue with your internet line. Call up your ISP and tell them you have issues with your connection.

Ok thanks everyone that has been helping I am going to call my ISP and hear what they say and hopefully get an answer 🙂  

29 minutes ago, Freshmeat1 said:

Ok thanks everyone that has been helping I am going to call my ISP and hear what they say and hopefully get an answer 🙂  

Keep us update to day if anything changes!

• 4 weeks later...

Now we have gotten it fixed, and the speed is double what it used to be. The problem was whit the cable coming in to the house. And thanks to everyone that came with suggestions.