Need Help choosing a cpu

Msi B550 Tomahawk

Ryzen 7 3800x

3600 16GB RGB

1 TB M.2 SSD

RTX 3070 Founders Edition

750 W Gold PSU

NZXT 240mm aio cooler Glass case with 6 RGB fans + 2 aio fans making it 8 fans in total

With a PC like this i want to upgrade my cpu to something more up there HAHA but really, I wanted a i9-10900k since my entire pc life i only understood intel as i found ryzen alot more confusing to understand

Ryzen is weird in the high end because AMD has things available that Intel simply doesn't have a competitor for.

The Ryzen 3000 competitor to the i9-10900K is the Ryzen 9 3900X. But it also goes beyond that, to things like the Ryzen 9 3950X, and then the Threadripper series, such as the Ryzen 9 3995WX, Ryzen 9 3975WX, Ryzen 9 3970X, 3980X, and 3960X.

Intel basically just has the 10920X and 10980XE, which are both overpriced and frankly fall flat compared to AMD's offerings in that market segment.

A decent upgrade to the 3800X is the 3900X or 3950X. Or you could spring for Ryzen 5000 and get a 5800X/5900X.

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well, you can't put an Intel CPU in a B550 board since it is an AM4 board. 

I'd recommend a Ryzen 7 5800x, not sure of your budget though.

Budget Does not matter

3 minutes ago, wavem2 said:

Ryzen is weird in the high end because AMD has things available that Intel simply doesn't have a competitor for.

The Ryzen 3000 competitor to the i9-10900K is the Ryzen 9 3900X. But it also goes beyond that, to things like the Ryzen 9 3950X, and then the Threadripper series, such as the Ryzen 9 3995WX, Ryzen 9 3975WX, Ryzen 9 3970X, 3980X, and 3960X.

Intel basically just has the 10920X and 10980XE, which are both overpriced and frankly fall flat compared to AMD's offerings in that market segment.

A decent upgrade to the 3800X is the 3900X or 3950X. Or you could spring for Ryzen 5000 and get a 5800X/5900X.

budget does not matter so feel free to give me the beefy of beefy recommendations 

2 minutes ago, Igloopop said:

Budget Does not matter

budget does not matter so feel free to give me the beefy of beefy recommendations 

I'd recommend the R9 3900x. Seems not too overkill, not way too much money, but still a fantastic CPU. Hell, a 12-core CPU for gaming is still pretty overkill! If you don't think that's enough, I use a 16-core Xeon system with a max boost clock of 3.8 ghz (it's pretty old), and it rarely gets above 20% in games. Bought it for CAD but also game on it occasionally.

6 minutes ago, Igloopop said:

Budget Does not matter

Well... if you simply want the best you can have for your motherboard, then the Ryzen 9 3950X is the answer. Or even a Ryzen 9 5950X if you update the BIOS. Though you're going to need some pretty beefy cooling equipment to keep it tamed, either under water or something like an NH-D15 with good case airflow.

40 minutes ago, Igloopop said:

i found ryzen alot more confusing to understand

In what regard?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I would not get another Ryzen 3000, it won't impress you.

A 10850k is likely cheaper than a 10900k, its the same cpu but 100mhz lower. If the 10850k is cheaper, get that over a 10900k

A 10850k/10900k are very fast, they are faster than a 5800x or 3900x.

If you live near microcenter the 10850k is $319.

The 5900x\5950x are faster than a 10850k\10900k.

The only upgrade that makes sense from a 3800x is either the Intel 10850k\10900k or Ryzen 9s 5900x\5950x. Anything less wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

I recommend the 5900x, its faster than a 10900k and will work on your b550 motherboard. If money doesn't matter a 5950x is the fastest CPU.

3 hours ago, Igloopop said:

Budget Does not matter

If budget doesnt matter then just get a threadripper 3990x 64 core 128 thread then xD

If you dont get my point if you dont set a budget then everyones gonna be confused

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

In what regard?

Im very new to actually understanding pc parts, but in my head intel just works a lot better in my head and ryzen/amd or whatever it is just kinda confusing cause theres alot of numbers random x's and idk what gen is better that what

4 hours ago, Tech87 said:

If budget is no problem, shoot for the 5900x/5950x and slap an arctic liquid freezer ii on it.

I know i can place a cpu in but is putting in and installing cooling easy? im pretty new to this all so i wouldnt know

3 hours ago, Igloopop said:

Im very new to actually understanding pc parts, but in my head intel just works a lot better in my head and ryzen/amd or whatever it is just kinda confusing cause theres alot of numbers random x's and idk what gen is better that what

Intel isn't better at this.

I mean their 10900k IS BETTER than their 11900k which is basically a overclocked 10700k. Also memory is limited to 2933mhz unless you xmp profile it.

Yeah not easier.

Why do you even need a better cpu? What is the current issue? What are you using your pc for?

If you want raw gaming performance ryzen is king.

6 hours ago, Igloopop said:

If it's just compatibility, use pcpartpicker and look at manufacturer websites. For example, the webpage for the B550 tomahawk has a full CPU compatibility list, complete with the BIOS version required for each CPU. 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#support-cpu

AMD's website has a chart that lists official support for every chipset and the CPUs that go with them.

https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/b550

And it helps that AMD pretty much copied Intel. Their product stack goes from ryzen 3 to Ryzen 9, just like core i3 to core i9, they literally stole B350 from Intel and forced them to go with B360.

The only real confusion is the G processors, because they use one earlier generation's architecture, for example the ryzen 5 2400G is a lot more like a ryzen 5 1500X than it is like a ryzen 5 2600. But higher number = better, just like you would expect, so no need to be confused about which generation is better. The 3600 beats the 1600, the 5600X beats the 3600, etc.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The only real confusion is the G processors, because they use one earlier generation's architecture, for example the ryzen 5 2400G is a lot more like a ryzen 5 1500X than it is like a ryzen 5 2600. But higher number = better, just like you would expect, so no need to be confused about which generation is better. The 3600 beats the 1600, the 5600X beats the 3600, etc.

And they mostly fixed this with the new 5000 series. All desktop 5000 series is zen3 but only on mobile 2 still use zen 2.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

And they mostly fixed this with the new 5000 series. All desktop 5000 series is zen3 but only on mobile 2 still use zen 2.

Although if you are going to compare mobile understandability, sheesh intel's got a ways to go with their mouthful of an 11 series lineup

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Although if you are going to compare mobile understandability, sheesh intel's got a ways to go with their mouthful of an 11 series lineup

They can't even name their own cpu's :p. Like I SEE the logic in them but like geez dudes just go back to the old way of U being low power, H being the higher power and HQ being the best. At worst put the gpu bracket next to it or only do it for cpu's with special more powerful graphics like a i7 1170u Xe, i3 1110u G7, i3 1110HQ,... all easy to see that these are aimed at different markets instead of the current mess.

7 hours ago, Igloopop said:

I know i can place a cpu in but is putting in and installing cooling easy? im pretty new to this all so i wouldnt know

Yes, just follow the user manual and you'll be fine.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.