Cox - Told me I went over my data usage of 250GB. Need HELP!

Quinquangular

So, I'm wondering..

What takes up a lot of bandwith?

I know video/movie streaming can take up a lot, along with torrenting or downloading files.

What else?

EDIT: Using the monitor application.. I can see that:
Letting the VM's run for like 20 or so minutes is 14.6mb total (received and sent) of bandwidth.

Watching a 3 min 380p YT video is 17.1mb total.

I run 20-30 virtual machines all playing online games...

I know this is an issue.

But, the weird thing that confused is me that this is the 1st time Cox contacted me about over-bandwidth usage for my plan. I've been running these VMs 24/7 (if I can) for a while now. Been using them on the same schedules for a few months, and now they contact me regarding it.

I did just install a bandwidth monitor. I'll monitor how much bandwidth is used in 24 hours and do a rough estimate regarding how much my PC uses in the average month.

I only went 4GB up from my 250GB data cap. Didn't even know I had that low of a data cap, thought it would be 300+ at least.

I run 20-30 virtual machines all playing online games... Can this be an issue that is causing a lot of data?

Yes.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

It is most likely the VM's being online that is using tons of bandwidth. What game are you playing on them?

Also streaming/watching Twitch and Youtube use a lot I find.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

I run 20-30 virtual machines all playing online games.

That's kind of crazy lol

You'll have to somehow check your network up and down speed while playing all those games.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

So, I'm wondering..

What takes up a lot of bandwith?

I know video/movie streaming can take up a lot, along with torrenting or downloading files.

What else?

I run 20-30 virtual machines all playing online games... Can this be an issue that is causing a lot of data?

That's kind of crazy lol

You'll have to somehow check your network up and down speed while playing all those games.

Your router should tell you how much bandwidth is being used if it's a good one. My RT-68U does this.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Anything that accesses the internet uses bandwidth

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

what in the hell do you need 20-30 VMs running at the same time for? lol

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

>What takes up a lot of bandwith?

>20-30 (virtual) machines

Think you answered your own question buddy. If they're linux VMs and they have vnstat installed, that would help.

How can I check the usage on my router then?

I know it's a lot, but I never had them email me regarding this before, that's why I'm wondering what's wrong.

I've been doing this for 3-4 months already and all the sudden I'm over.

what in the hell do you need 20-30 VMs running at the same time for? lol

It's just.. an online business per say. Lol

Anything that accesses the internet uses bandwidth

Yeah, I knew that. I'm not stupid regarding bandwidth, I know what mainly uses it up but..

I never had Cox say this to us before regarding our limitation being broken.

We only were 4gb above our 250GB lim

That's kind of crazy lol

Thanks, I downloaded a tool and I'll use it to see how much bandwidth total from received and sent combined is in 24 hours and do a rough estimate on how much total bandwidth is used on my PC from the 20 VMs.

And yes, it's necessary.

It's for a business, like I said.

If I were to change the QOS of my router for my desktop and set it lower, would it change much or not?

yes

If I were to change the QOS of my router for my desktop and set it lower, would it change much or not?

if you are going in to change settings upgrade to dd-wrt and it can do everything, everything

yes

if you are going in to change settings upgrade to dd-wrt and it can do everything, everything

I'm not positive if my e2500 by Linksys is supported by DD-WRT.

I'll research tonight, and attempt to do it tomorrow evening if it is supported.

a) How hard is it from start to finish to flash DD-WRT onto a router?

b) I'm a techy-ish guy so, just wondering is there any failure rate at all? Just curious, I think I remember seeing a guy on a forum having a router bricked somehow.

c) How long would it take? I know it's harder than adding a file and clicking on "upgrade" like to upgrade the normal firmware.

Is there no way to upgrade your service?

It sounds like you are on a consumer grade line and not a business service

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I run 20-30 virtual machines all playing online games...

Now normally i would tell you to tell COX to not be a COCK but the above is a cause for much much concern.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Was there a new patch that got pre-downloaded on the games? that X 20-30 VM's will be loads

I know WOW pre downloads while playing (unless turned off)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I think your main problem might be Windows updates. They are probably consuming lots of bandwith. The only soloution I can think of right now is to get yourself a pfsense box as a router and use Squid on it. There are probably other ways to solve it too.

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Squid_Package_Tuning#Caching_Windows_Updates

Im pretty sure Cox just started to cap the plans. That is why they have probably not hasseled you before now.