Just finished a computer build, should I stress test or nah?

Theminecraftaddict555
Go to solution Solved by Theminecraftaddict555,
9 hours ago, Moonzy said:

if it boots it's likely fine so you probably dont have to worry about it

unless u tweaked some settings in bios like XMP or clock speeds

cinebench i think is decent enough

or intelburntest, it hits harder

unigine superposition or heaven on extreme/ultra preset

i would do it to make sure it doesnt overheat under theoretical max load

9 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Stress testing is only necessary when you've introduced something that can cause instability, like an overclock. The base assumption is that all the components can run stock indefinitely without issue.

There is value in benchmarking the system, though, as it gives you a baseline to compare to later. If you ever feel like you aren't getting the performance you once were, you decide to upgrade something, or you're just have random weird issues, you can bench it again, and compare to the original state.

I decided to just run memtest to mainly test the cpu and ram, the components that I'm more concerned for.. Passed all 4 tests just fine for 3+ hours. So I think it's safe to say that I should be ok 

Hello Everyone, I just finished a pc build for my nephew and it is posting fine. I was able to leave the computer running at the bios screen and at the windows installation screen for a couple of hours with no issues. To be very honest, I never stress tested any PC builds that I did in the past and this is my first time approaching this topic. At this point, I'm looking to stress test the system to ensure it runs fine and wondering if that is even needed. I looked around and found mixed answers from "no-it isn't needed" to "yes you should". What do you guys think? 

If it is recommended to stress test it, what stress test should I use to test the ram, cpu, and gpu? 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

4 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

At this point, I'm looking to stress test the system to ensure it runs fine and wondering if that is even needed. I looked around and found mixed answers from "no-it isn't needed" to "yes you should". What do you guys think? 

ram, cpu

gpu

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Stress testing is only necessary when you've introduced something that can cause instability, like an overclock. The base assumption is that all the components can run stock indefinitely without issue.

There is value in benchmarking the system, though, as it gives you a baseline to compare to later. If you ever feel like you aren't getting the performance you once were, you decide to upgrade something, or you're just have random weird issues, you can bench it again, and compare to the original state.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

9 hours ago, Moonzy said:

9 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

I decided to just run memtest to mainly test the cpu and ram, the components that I'm more concerned for.. Passed all 4 tests just fine for 3+ hours. So I think it's safe to say that I should be ok 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you