Disband Intel Raid 0 on Ryzen system

rossi94

Hello everybody,

I transplanted my 2x960 gb Raid 0 disks into my new Ryzen 5000 system. I don't care about any of the data. (I would never store anything else than steam games on a raid 0). 

Sadly I can't format the drives. They are showing up as one single volume in Disk Management. I can't format them without an error or get them usable. I tryed some bootable disk utilities without success.

Has anybody here solved this exact problem and can point me in the right direction?

Just now, Blue4130 said:

How did you create the raid? 

In the Bios of my old z370 board.

7 minutes ago, rossi94 said:

In the Bios of my old z370 board.

Guessing that using these old board is not an option... I'd go with a Linux low level format option. 

10 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Guessing that using these old board is not an option... I'd go with a Linux low level format option. 

The old board is 500 miles away. Isn't that what the bootable disk utilities are using?

36 minutes ago, rossi94 said:

I tryed some bootable disk utilities without success.

Which ones?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Which ones?

It's been some weeks, I remember trying GParted.

Have you tried diskpart built into windows?

Not the friendliest command line.

list disk - shows disks in system. Should see physical drives, not logical ones.

select disk n - where n is the disk you want to wipe

list disk - make sure you selected the right disk, indicated by a * next to it

clean - this will instantly wipe the data structure of the selected disk. Make absolutely sure you have the right one selected!

Repeat for the other disk in the raid.

This should leave disks in uninitialised state and you can go back into disk manager to create new partitions on them as desired.

Note "clean" is a quick way to put disks into an uninitialised state for doing a clean install for example. It does not do a full overwrite so don't use it in other scenarios where you care about data getting recovered.

If above still doesn't work, try connecting only one of the raid disks at a time. That should essentially break the raid and might allow tools to work.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, porina said:

Have you tried diskpart built into windows?

Not the friendliest command line.

list disk - shows disks in system. Should see physical drives, not logical ones.

select disk n - where n is the disk you want to wipe

list disk - make sure you selected the right disk, indicated by a * next to it

clean - this will instantly wipe the data structure of the selected disk. Make absolutely sure you have the right one selected!

Repeat for the other disk in the raid.

This should leave disks in uninitialised state and you can go back into disk manager to create new partitions on them as desired.

Note "clean" is a quick way to put disks into an uninitialised state for doing a clean install for example. It does not do a full overwrite so don't use it in other scenarios where you care about data getting recovered.

If above still doesn't work, try connecting only one of the raid disks at a time. That should essentially break the raid and might allow tools to work.

Yes I did. Twice (just tryed it again).I am still left with one volume. When I try to create a partition I get an error. "The format did not complete successfully".

I am ok with using command line tools. This is just a nasty problem.

When I remove just one of the disks I can't get it to show up anywhere other than the bios.

I tryed secure erazing the drives. Still showing them as 1 disk. I am running out of options here 😕

I was making the assumption the raid is logically stored on the disk data area. Given the difficulty seen, I now wonder if it is done at another level, for example there is some kind of metadata set elsewhere.

See if the manufacturer provides a diagnostic tool and have a go with that? Just saw the reply as I was typing. I'm outta ideas. Good luck.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I tryed to use a cloning tool in the hopes that it would make a bytecopy and overwrite sector 1. Didn't want to do it tho 😕

Tryed to disconnect one of the drives. Can't even get a single one to initialize.