PC can't find Xbox One controller - Undiscoverable

DannyBoii
Go to solution Solved by WaggishOhio383,

How are you trying to connect to the controller? Xbox controllers actually won't show up in the connect tab of your notification center. You'll need to go into Windows settings, select Devices, and then go to the Bluetooth and other tab. Then click on the add button up at the top, and select Bluetooth. There is a different option that says it's for Xbox controllers, but that's only if you're using the official controller adapter. If using Bluetooth instead, you have to select the Bluetooth option or it won't show up.

Also to state the obvious, you should have your controller in pairing mode by pressing the same button you would use to connect it to an Xbox.

Edit: Something important I forgot to mention. If the controller has been connected to your PC before, and you then connected it to something else, you'll need to remove the controller from your PC's paired device list. The only way the controller will show up and let you reconnect is if your computer isn't currently paired to it.

I'm trying to use bluetooth to connect my 1708 xbox one controller to my pc. I just bought this bluetooth 4.0 adapter a couple weeks ago and haven't gotten around to checking it out until today.  The adapter seems to work properly when connecting to my phone, and the controller is in good condition. Just put new batteries in the other day. I've connected it before but now the only way it wants to work is via micro usb. Tied looking around online but the forums I saw mostly pointed to the microsoft "How to" pages and those aren't helpful. Any help would be great. thanks guys.

How are you trying to connect to the controller? Xbox controllers actually won't show up in the connect tab of your notification center. You'll need to go into Windows settings, select Devices, and then go to the Bluetooth and other tab. Then click on the add button up at the top, and select Bluetooth. There is a different option that says it's for Xbox controllers, but that's only if you're using the official controller adapter. If using Bluetooth instead, you have to select the Bluetooth option or it won't show up.

Also to state the obvious, you should have your controller in pairing mode by pressing the same button you would use to connect it to an Xbox.

Edit: Something important I forgot to mention. If the controller has been connected to your PC before, and you then connected it to something else, you'll need to remove the controller from your PC's paired device list. The only way the controller will show up and let you reconnect is if your computer isn't currently paired to it.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

To pair an xboxone controller you have to hold down the pairing button that is next to the LB shoulder button to put it into pairing mode before it'll show up in the list of devices when you try to add a device through bluetooth.

If it doesn't show up after doing that then it's likely that it is an early version that required a dongle to allow it to connect.

19 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

There are three options to choose from when picking what type of device you're pairing. The bottom one is what it says you need to click to pair a controller; but the top one is what actually works. Just to further clarify what @WaggishOhio383 was pointing out. My controller pairs just fine, now.

-

bluetooth.jpg