Cpu for 3080

Go to solution Solved by Mister Woof,
1 minute ago, lior1111 said:

alright , im going to try and overclock my ram now with linus video from corsair lab. anything to worry about damaging my system? or worst case scenario is only ram sticks damage?
(going to go through all the precautions explained in that video)

There's always some risk to components, and Intel officially states memory overclocking voids warranties (although xmp satisfies that anyway) but usually it just won't post or will crash, and you have to go back to default settings and try again with different settings.

I think 2666 is relatively reasonable.

Hi, i got the 3080 tuf at about launch and it is heavily bottlenecked in some games by my i7 8700. Non k. Ive checked benchmarks and only recently realized how difference the K makes in games. 

Anyway, looking to get a new cpu and debating between the 11700k, 11600k and the 10700k. 

Im out of the hardware game for quite some time and have 0 knowledge of all the differences, trying to learn from videos and such but would really appreciate some help. 

More specs :

*cpu - i7 8700

mobo - TUF z370-PRO GAMING

memory - dual channel 16gb running at 2400mhz (1200 on dram freq in cpu-z)

psu - 750w corsair (cant remember exact model , will get it asap)

*gpu - asus tuf 3080 oc

Thank you. 

Are you sure your performance loss lies in the CPU? You are hopefully using some dual channel ram and with decent speed if you can, though it you have a cheap motherboard you probably can only reach 2666MHz. If not, a second ram dimm will improve performance a lot.

Also if you have a motherboard with poor VRMs you might have CPU clock speed limitations. use some software like HWMonitor to see if your CPU is reaching a proper 4.3GHz in games, or higher. If it's not doing that you might have some VRM throttling, and a better motherboard would help.

The difference between a K and non-K SKU is that one is allowed to overclock, and if you're not overclocking the experience would be identical.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

23 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The difference between a K and non-K SKU is that one is allowed to overclock, and if you're not overclocking the experience would be identical.

there are clockspeed / power behaviour differences as well but I believe you're correct about other potential issues. If they aren't on a Z platform memory speed is a bit of a lost cause though. If the OP isn't cranking settings up at higher resolutions it's possible that they're hitting a CPU bottleneck, but with that GPU higher graphics settings should be what your targeting in the first place. If to OP wants very high frame rates at a lower resolution the CPU will need to be better, for some titles anyway.

what are the rest of your specs? a 3080 should not be bottlenecked by an i7 8700 non k because i have a 2070 super on an i7 8700k and my computer works just fine. 

if you are looking at getting a new CPU, you are going to have to get a new motherboard too as the 8700 uses the LGA1151 socket, the 10700 and 11700 use the LGA1200 socket

The 8700 and 8700k perform almost identically in games. They both will be at around 4.3ghz all-core all the time.

Go into your motherboard BIOS and remove your power limits if they are not already.

Speaking from personal experience, on a 5ghz 8700k, there was minimal bottlenecking on a 3080. 5ghz vs 4.3ghz sounds like a lot, but it's maybe 5-10% at most in real life.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

27 minutes ago, tdkid said:

a 3080 should not be bottlenecked by an i7 8700 non k because i have a 2070

There's a pretty big performance gap between those two processors. It also depends on what games and resolution are used in OP's case.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

are you talking about the 2070 to 3080? not really. the biggest thing i saw was the memory size on the GPU. i have the EVGA 2070 super FTW3 ultra. i dont play a lot of games that would be hard on the GPU and CPU like call of duty, cyberpunk and others but i do play occasionally and when i do, i have no issue at all. even though i am using a "last gen" GPU with an 8th gen CPU.

33 minutes ago, tdkid said:

are you talking about the 2070 to 3080? not really. the biggest thing i saw was the memory size on the GPU. i have the EVGA 2070 super FTW3 ultra. i dont play a lot of games that would be hard on the GPU and CPU like call of duty, cyberpunk and others but i do play occasionally and when i do, i have no issue at all. even though i am using a "last gen" GPU with an 8th gen CPU.

As stated, it depends on the games. And even what you're doing in those games, and at what parts.

I don't think an 8700 would significantly bottleneck a 3080 in most scenarios unless you're playing at something ridiculous like 1080p medium.

1440p high/ultra or with ray tracing on, 8700 won't be a problem. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

10 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

As stated, it depends on the games. And even what you're doing in those games, and at what parts.

I don't think an 8700 would significantly bottleneck a 3080 in most scenarios unless you're playing at something ridiculous like 1080p medium.

1440p high/ultra or with ray tracing on, 8700 won't be a problem. 

i dont think so either which is why i made my comment. but i am not the OP of this thread and having a nvidia GPU like the 20 series, 30 series or any other card. i have the GeForce experience and have my settings on different games set to optimal for best gameplay. it may not work all the time but most of the time it does. i have a last gen GPU and an 8th gen CPU. i have yet to find a game that would have a noticable bottleneck. but again i am not the OP.

i am thinking they are either having a RAM problem or a storage problem. like how the RGB on the kingston hyperx fury caused a massive slow down becasuse it overheating causing itself to throttle.

oh and by the way, i am running stock everything. nothing is OC

3 minutes ago, tdkid said:

i dont think so either which is why i made my comment. but i am not the OP of this thread and having a nvidia GPU like the 20 series, 30 series or any other card. i have the GeForce experience and have my settings on different games set to optimal for best gameplay. it may not work all the time but most of the time it does. i have a last gen GPU and an 8th gen CPU. i have yet to find a game that would have a noticable bottleneck. but again i am not the OP.

i am thinking they are either having a RAM problem or a storage problem. like how the RGB on the kingston hyperx fury caused a massive slow down becasuse it overheating causing itself to throttle.

oh and by the way, i am running stock everything. nothing is OC

They said they were comparing their results to online benchmarks.

That in itself can be a problem because for one, no two systems are completely alike, and number two, the benchmarks in those videos tends to be a bit inaccurate and/or not representative of real world performance.

The best way to check for bottlenecks is to run monitoring software. If you find you are not getting high GPU usage most of the time (like 90%+, there may be a bottlenecking issue.

Either CPU, storage/assets, or just the game itself being dumb. Some of those can be addressed with upgrades and others just kind of have to live with.

You'll never ever be 99% usage on everything all the time.

First of all, thank you all for all the comments! 

Second, in general i will try to provide all the details needed from the replies

As to what i used for reference are mostly warzone benchmark videos, and i know the game isnt very well optimized but pretty much all videos with 3080 and 8700 get like 120 fps and the ones with 10700 get like 170. And with battlefield v/1 for example i wanna get 144 fps on ultra and im very very far away from that with about 70-110, I will do some more testing to check gpu usage and come back to the post with better knowledge of the situation. 

I am using a 1080 144hz monitor and so my aim is to do exactly that,play all games at 144 fps, and yeah, i do understand that for 1080p it was probably a bit inefficient to get a 3080 but i was at the time planning to upgrade the monitor, yet when i seen my performance on 1080p i was a bit confused as to what i should be doing. 

Also, in terms of complete specs i will edit this comment and the post itself with all the details asap. 

Also to the people suggesting to check bios settings for cpu/ram limitations - from what i remember i went all over youtube and google to try and crank everything up aleardy and i remember I went over these. 

I am also kinda surprised to hear about the claims that k and non k should be identical should i not overclock, i will seriously consider non k again, depends on the price. 

The comment is long aleardy but lastly in regards to the ryzen suggestion, i will consider that aswell its just that i never bought an amd cpu and was deeply disappointed from and earlier amd product which was the r9 390 that overheated extremely for me, yet its just a personal experience that kind of puts amd off for me a bit and i knoe that whoever bought the new ryzens are feeling pretty good with their purchase. Another thing i heared about is driver issues for the ryzen? Dont know the whole truth eith that but i did hear about some stuff like utilization and temps flying around the ryzens. 

Thats it, again i will try to provide all the necessary details for you all great people, thank you so much for all the comments. 

more specs - 

*cpu - i7 8700

mobo - TUF z370-PRO GAMING

memory - 16gb running at 2400mhz (1200 on dram freq in cpu-z)

psu - 750w corsair (cant remember exact model , will get it asap)

*gpu - asus tuf 3080 oc

18 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

They said they were comparing their results to online benchmarks.

That in itself can be a problem because for one, no two systems are completely alike, and number two, the benchmarks in those videos tends to be a bit inaccurate and/or not representative of real world performance.

The best way to check for bottlenecks is to run monitoring software. If you find you are not getting high GPU usage most of the time (like 90%+, there may be a bottlenecking issue.

Either CPU, storage/assets, or just the game itself being dumb. Some of those can be addressed with upgrades and others just kind of have to live with.

You'll never ever be 99% usage on everything all the time.

so yeah ive checked , im sitting on 30% usage on battlefield 1 xD , how can i improve that in general whenever i encounter low usage ?

battlefield V runs at 70-80 on ultra 1080p with about 60% usage

15 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

so yeah ive checked , im sitting on 30% usage on battlefield 1 xD , how can i improve that in general whenever i encounter low usage ?

battlefield V runs at 70-80 on ultra 1080p with about 60% usage

Battlefield is one of those games that will have wildly different fps depending on a lot of factors the last I checked, specifically the multiplayer aspect.

If you play the actual single player campaign, what is your GPU usage? That would eliminate the online nature of games (which usually will be the problem 99% of the time)

Multiplayer games are just really hard to accurately benchmark. 

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Battlefield is one of those games that will have wildly different fps depending on a lot of factors the last I checked, specifically the multiplayer aspect.

If you play the actual single player campaign, what is your GPU usage? That would eliminate the online nature of games (which usually will be the problem 99% of the time)

well i will check the single player asap , but how do i figure out solutions for multiplayer? cause all i do is play multiplayer based games and intending to play bf 2042 ofc

1 minute ago, lior1111 said:

well i will check the single player asap , but how do i figure out solutions for multiplayer? cause all i do is play multiplayer based games and intending to play bf 2042 ofc

sometimes not a lot you can do

biggest solutions i've seen are mods to ini files to fix the games - a lot of the time it's anti-cheat measures that cause problems.

Just now, Mister Woof said:

sometimes not a lot you can do

biggest solutions i've seen are mods to ini files to fix the games - a lot of the time it's anti-cheat measures that cause problems.

do you reckon that in those situations a better cpu would actually help? cause online benchmarks show a completely different story. especially in warzone

Just now, lior1111 said:

do you reckon that in those situations a better cpu would actually help? cause online benchmarks show a completely different story. especially in warzone

I don't play that game myself, but I have seen a LOT of threads here and on the internet about warzone performance problems.

I don't think it's a hardware issue.

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I don't play that game myself, but I have seen a LOT of threads here and on the internet about warzone performance problems.

interesting.. i guess ill just try to copy hardware as much as i can from those online benchmarks xD.. will provide details about singleplayer now

3 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

interesting.. i guess ill just try to copy hardware as much as i can from those online benchmarks xD.. will provide details about singleplayer now

Your slower memory probably isn't doing you any favors, i'm not sure it's worth upgrading but your motherboard supports faster memory. You should be able to easily get the 8700 to run at least 3200, which would be significantly faster than 2400. Could even try overclocking what you have to 2666, or 2933.

9 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

just checked singleplayer , to my surprise(tbh usually singleplayer games run well) it is the same! 50-60% usage , 90-110 fps

Just now, lior1111 said:

just checked singleplayer , to my surprise(tbh usually singleplayer games run well) it is the same! 50-60% usage , 90-110 fps

See above post, could be a memory speed limitation. try overclocking to 2666 to see if it helps

Just now, Mister Woof said:

when i was working on improving warzone fps , i did this video , it didnt help. but i just found a proof that getting higher memory might help

will try to overclock now. any simple video on how to do it before i look around myself on google? xD sorry for that.. would appreciate help never done that

wi

3 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

when i was working on improving warzone fps , i did this video , it didnt help. but i just found a proof that getting higher memory might help

will try to overclock now. any simple video on how to do it before i look around myself on google? xD sorry for that.. would appreciate help never done that

wi

It can be a bit tricky and if it fails you might have to reset your CMOS - but just change the memory multiplier to 26 and let the memory train from there. You can do your own timings, but it's not necessarily easy to do.

As far as this game, I think it's just trash. This user here reports having a 3060 with a 3600 and getting 10% GPU utilization....that's ridiculous (near bottom comments)

I still don't really think this is a hardware issue as much as it is that the game just sucks at utilizing it properly.

There's a bajillion threads on the internet about this specific issue.