NVME not detected by Bios (Inconsistent)

Definite

Hello!

Let me start this post off by thanking those of you who attempt to provide assistance, I have been troubleshooting my new computer for the better part of 20 total hours and I am concluding that this may require a motherboard replacement but I do not want to be so quick to assume this. I am hoping someone else has encountered this issue before.

Here is my part list.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ry8Zbh

The original problem/cause/what I tried:

• I setup my new computer and moved my old storage and graphics card to my new build.
  • Booted up and worked perfectly fine, my friend suggested I reformat because I was changing from an intel based system to AMD. I started the process and part way through the reinstall of windows the installer errored and the NVME drive stopped working.
  • Rebooted, the NVME drive was listed but I couldn't install to it, I tried to reformat again and it still didn't work. I eventually got it working through enough trial and error to reformat and install windows 10 on it.
  • When turning off my computer the NVME drive would stop working and no longer be detected, this seemed to be the case whenever I had my other drives plugged in. As both my regular SSD and 500gb HDD had previously had windows installed I reformatted them as well believing it could be an issue with the MBR. - Same issue
  • Flashed Bios - ensured it was updated to latest firmware (It was already, overwrote it just incase)
  • Reformatted the NVME and installed windows on my 500 GB HDD - booted up with only them in the system, it ran fine and I was able to verify the NVME drive in my partition manager. - Restarted PC 2x times - worked fine. Did a shutdown to add the other drives - NVME stopped being detected/.
  • reformatted the HDD, and installed windows back onto the NVME - worked perfectly, until I again restarted and added the drives. 
  • Moved everything back to my old PC and they booted up perfectly fine, did a couple cold shutdowns and again everything worked fine.
  • Moved everything to the new PC, and its functioning - I have only done a restart for a windows update, I did one cold boot since moving everything back and the NVME was not detected, I did another reseat and all my drives are detected and functional. ** This is where I am currently at.

The current problem:

• My NVME SSD (OS) is not detected by my Bios after a cold boot, I can do restarts apparently without issue.

I've been searching different forums and posts finding all kinds of information but not one single situation lines up with my exact problem, I cannot determine if this is 100% my motherboard, or if its related to my PSU (I've seen a somewhat similar situation posted here with a PSU being the culprit)

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1224765-m2-nvme-ssds-not-detected-on-cold-boot-works-fine-on-restart-new-pc/

I'm sorry to say I don't know how to help you beyond letting you know that my Crucial P1 NVMe SSD had incredibly similar problems a few months before it died, even down to seemingly working fine in one computer but not the other. When this happened to me I got an external NVMe enclosure and just plugged it in and took it out of different computers repeatedly and found that it only worked half the time, while another NVMe worked every time. If you have a second NVMe drive I would reccomend trying that or even just seeing if your other SSD works just fine in the affected system like my second drive did.

TL;DR it might be the mobo or PSU, but it could also be the drive itself.

From what you describe, it sounds like the drive itself went tits up. The very first NVMe drive I bought was DOA.

Your other drives work fine, so your SATA interface is still good, but I would consider picking up a new NVMe drive and testing that to see if it works. If it does, then you know it's not the motherboard, if it doesn't, it's likely not the drive that's the problem. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Okay!

I bought the NVME less than 2 years ago (July 15, 2019), is it possible to RMA if it is failing on me? I am not so good at understanding these warranties and I have never RMA'd anything before.

https://www.crucial.com/company/warranty

7 minutes ago, Definite said:

Okay!

I bought the NVME less than 2 years ago (July 15, 2019), is it possible to RMA if it is failing on me? I am not so good at understanding these warranties and I have never RMA'd anything before.

https://www.crucial.com/company/warranty

"For SSD products sold after August 28, 2017, any claim must be made within three (3) years or within five (5) years, depending on applicable warranty period for the SSD product purchased, from the original date of purchase"

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to RMA it. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Okay, I went to the website: https://www.crucial.com/returns I put in my information and I am eligible for return, then it takes me to their shopping cart for some reason. Their support page mentions an RMA Tool but it just takes me back to the returns page. I've submitted a ticket in the meanwhile. I'll go to the local store and see if they have any M.2's for sale, otherwise I am about 2 hours away from any large tech store.

Thank you!