Kogan 55" 4K TV for only $999 {AUS}

X1XNobleX1X

Hello guys,

Recently Kogan posted a deal selling a 55" Smart 3D 4K TV for only $999!

Kogan are a really reputable seller. I have bought a TV and monitor from them with no problems.

Although the build quality probably isn't up the standard of Sony, Samsung ETC, they do use a reputable manufacturer for their panels. Sony, Sharp ETC. kogan4k1-640x360.jpg

What do you guys think?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

this is what my wallet thinks
ryan-stiles-finger.gif

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I don't like smart TV's. Just saying.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

4k @ 30hz... no thx.

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

4k @ 30hz... no thx.

nooooo thanks

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Four words. You...can't...trust...Kogan. I'll give you ONE word that sums them up, wanna know what it is? Stats with "C".

They Contain Real Aweful Products.

You've probably guessed what word I'm referring to know haven't you?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I have a 46" Kogan TV that I bought pretty cheaply (like $400). Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with it overall. But it really is a coinflip when you buy Kogan TVs about whether or not the quality is any good. I have a 39" Kogan in the living room (needed one the right size to fit into an antique cabinet) and it's pretty bad.

This particular one I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. 4K resolution television at 30 Hz is useless for everyone, in every situation. If it was 60 Hz, it might be good as a high-end gaming TV to hook up to your computer and play via a USB controller (something I already do with my 46"), but at 30Hz it's not worth it. If it was a monitor, it might be good for photo editing and things like that, but overall, meh.

Four words. You...can't...trust...Kogan. I'll give you ONE word that sums them up, wanna know what it is? Stats with "C".

They Contain Real Aweful Products.

You've probably guessed what word I'm referring to know haven't you?

still waiting for the last order i got from there i think i ordered in august last year

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

still waiting for the last order i got from there i think i ordered in august last year

I would personally cancel it if I were you. Go with a more reliable place. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

4K resolution television at 30 Hz is useless for everyone, in every situation.

Movies, TV and day to day computer use it's fine.

Gaming requires 60hz and up.

I have a 46" Kogan TV that I bought pretty cheaply (like $400). Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with it overall. But it really is a coinflip when you buy Kogan TVs about whether or not the quality is any good. I have a 39" Kogan in the living room (needed one the right size to fit into an antique cabinet) and it's pretty bad.

This particular one I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. 4K resolution television at 30 Hz is useless for everyone, in every situation. If it was 60 Hz, it might be good as a high-end gaming TV to hook up to your computer and play via a USB controller (something I already do with my 46"), but at 30Hz it's not worth it. If it was a monitor, it might be good for photo editing and things like that, but overall, meh.

5245d14f1605fb72b6000001.jpg?w=400

If you edit photos on a TV, you're gonna have a bad time.

Pretty much just good for watching cable and movies, nothing is broadcast in 4k where I live and I don't know of any major movies released in 4k... So I'm gonna say at present it's completely useless.

There was a dell IPS 4k 60hz insane color accuracy (100% sRGB coverage, pre calibrated to a delta <2) selling for 899$ a couple days ago. 

I think they raised the price back to 999$ yesterday though (the regular MSRP is 1300$) 

Definitely much better than this

Also, if you want 4k you can get 4k seiki tvs for less. Would never recommend a tv as a monitor though because they tend to have horrible color accuracy, some weird software sharpening etc..

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Movies, TV and day to day computer use it's fine.

Gaming requires 60hz and up.

Yeah, but if you're only doing movies, TV and day to day use there is no point in the resolution.

this post makes no sense. 1) 30hz for a tv is no problem since most shows/movies are shot at 24fps. 2) almost no gpu can touch above 30fps in 4k anyway 3) this would be horrible for editing because the color accuracy is probably horrible

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

this post makes no sense. 1) 30hz for a tv is no problem since most shows/movies are shot at 24fps. 2) almost no gpu can touch above 30fps in 4k anyway 3) this would be horrible for editing because the color accuracy is probably horrible

1) No television content is produced in 4K (in Australia - where this is sold). I was referring to the use of it as a gaming television, since 4K would be otherwise useless at this point in time.

2) Getting 60 fps in 4K is not as difficult as many people think it is. For instance, many people run 3 x 2560 x 1600.

3) I said it might be good for photo editing, I didn't guess to the colour accuracy at all. I meant due to the sheer resolution and therefore the use in being able to see more of a photo. While you may be right in that the colour accuracy could be bad, you can't completely, positively say that it will be, so my point stands.

I simply said the potential pros and cons of the device and what it could potentially be used for. My post makes sense.

1) No television content is produced in 4K (in Australia - where this is sold). I was referring to the use of it as a gaming television, since 4K would be otherwise useless at this point in time.

2) Getting 60 fps in 4K is not as difficult as many people think it is. For instance, many people run 3 x 2560 x 1600.

3) I said it might be good for photo editing, I didn't guess to the colour accuracy at all. I meant due to the sheer resolution and therefore the use in being able to see more of a photo. While you may be right in that the colour accuracy could be bad, you can't completely, positively say that it will be, so my point stands.

I simply said the potential pros and cons of the device and what it could potentially be used for. My post makes sense.

Just for the sake of making this post easier, im gonna stick to the numbers

1) It still doesn't matter. All 1080p, or 720p content is still 24fps. This means it will be just as good as a 1080p tv

2) yeah, and they also have 3 titans in their computer. If you had that i don't think you would have a problem with spending 1k on a 4k ips 60hz monitor

3) Sheer resolution does nothing for editing. If you've used photoshop, you'd know you can zoom out of the photo at anytime and see how much you are on a 4k screen. And besides, 99% of the time, you are at 200% zoom editing minor details. If i had to choose between this and a 1080p 99% adobe rgb monitor I'd choose the 1080p everytime. And I know color accuracy sucks because they are using the same panel as seiki was in their 55inch

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Yeah, but if you're only doing movies, TV and day to day use there is no point in the resolution.

LOL!

Are you serious?

1) Youtube has supported 4k since 2010 + Sony is selling 4k movies with the use of an additional box

Current Blu-rays can be UPSCALED , most new players support upscaling to 4k the same way DVD's were upscaled when HDTV first appeared.

- Text on a screen is more legible.

- You can fit more documents, open webpages, images...etc on a 4k screen and still be readable.

- Productivity in applications like Photoshop, illustrator, Premiere is greater because you can zoom into images and video without loss of quality.

- A single 4k screen can make using multiple monitors redundant, save desk space...

- The increased resolution almost eliminates blurring in movies and TV even if the screen in only 30hz.

People like you have been arguing the same points since the 70's........ Who needs laserdisk.... who needs VHS....who needs DVD....Audio CD's....... it's a scam to get us to buy new stuff...... the human eye can't see a difference....blah...blah...blah..blah.....

I was born in the 60's I've been hearing this same crap ever times something new comes out....and it all boils down to the same thing,..... YOU can't afford it, so you attack and and make silly lame arguments.

If you edit photos on a TV, you're gonna have a bad time.

Pretty much just good for watching cable and movies, nothing is broadcast in 4k where I live and I don't know of any major movies released in 4k... So I'm gonna say at present it's completely useless.

Have you used a 4k monitor/TV?

Sony sells 4k movies and Youtube has supported 4k since 2010.

Still rocking the VHS and DVD are we?

Have you used a 4k monitor/TV?

Sony sells 4k movies and Youtube has supported 4k since 2010.

Yes I have seen both, I don't own either, pretty interested in a 4k monitor now (still waiting for the price to drop on the ones with the specs I like) and I'll definitely be interested in a TV down the line.

I was mainly referring to this model in particular, it's just another one of those budget 30hz models, I would rather not blow that money now and wait another year or so until the HDMI 2.0 input TVs drop in price and content is widely available.

Sony releasing a handful of movies and some low bitrate YouTube streams are not enough to make me want to rush out and grab this thing.

Sorry just my opinion, don't be offended by it.  :)

Yes I have seen both, I don't own either, pretty interested in a 4k monitor now (still waiting for the price to drop on the ones with the specs I like) and I'll definitely be interested in a TV down the line.

I was mainly referring to this model in particular, it's just another one of those budget 30hz models, I would rather not blow that money now and wait another year or so until the HDMI 2.0 input TVs drop in price and content is widely available.

Sony releasing a handful of movies and some low bitrate YouTube streams are not enough to make me want to rush out and grab this thing.

Sorry just my opinion, don't be offended by it.  :)

I'm not offended, it's the ridiculous people who always pop up when something new comes out with the arguments that the increased resolution is something the human eye can't see.....

It happened with Laserdisc, then DVD , then Blu-ray... Audio CD's....   even way back when B/W TV's were the norm, people argued they would never catch on...

same crap when Hard Drives hit the megabyte range... ohhh nobodies gonna need that, it's a scam.

I'm old enough to remember all that,.... magazines were calling DVD a scam to get more money out of people replacing their VHS tapes. there's no visible difference.

Waiting for the price to drop, the specs to flesh out.... that makes sense.  Most of the naysayers are just mad they can't afford something or they invested a ton of money into Blu-rays and a HDTV

so they attack something for bogus made up reasons to feel better.

I have 600+ Blu-rays, I'll be happy with upscaling with those and buying 4k movies when they are affordable along with the TV's.

My first CD burner cost me $1200, people poo poo'd on me when I bought it, but boy did they like to come over and have me burn stuff for them

I'm not offended, it's the ridiculous people who always pop up when something new comes out with the arguments that the increased resolution is something the human eye can't see.....

It happened with Laserdisc, then DVD , then Blu-ray... Audio CD's....   even way back when B/W TV's were the norm, people argued they would never catch on...

same crap when Hard Drives hit the megabyte range... ohhh nobodies gonna need that, it's a scam.

I'm old enough to remember all that,.... magazines were calling DVD a scam to get more money out of people replacing their VHS tapes. there's no visible difference.

I said that the human eye couldn't perceive 4k on a 55" panel (roughly 80 PPI)? I think not, must have been someone else, I don't think anybody in this thread was trying to make that argument either. I'd probably go for a 40" when the time comes and even that will be incredibly perceivable.

By not buying this I am not stopping the progression of 4k, we really need some more people wasting money on the currently overpriced HDMI 2.0 models to drive prices down.

This TV is kind of a waste of money, it has technology in it that is not really ready for the 4k world. It's just some company trying to cash in on a halfway there product. It's not completely useless, but it's not far from it, a bit of patience would really pay off.

Its not good for people working with publishing and image editing software, no TV is, they all have terrible contrast, terrible color reproduction and things like post sharpening, edit something on that and view it on a proper monitor or get it printed and you are going to notice a hell of a lot of mistakes, that was actually bad advice on your part.

In my opinion the advice I have shared here is good. I am genuinely trying to help folks out.

I was born in the 60's I've been hearing this same crap ever times something new comes out....and it all boils down to the same thing,..... YOU can't afford it, so you attack and and make silly lame arguments.

I will concede your other points, but you have no idea of my own financial stance so don't even mention it. This forum is for healthy discussion; personal attacks are not handled lightly. All of the points you have mentioned, while they might be valid, are not a big deal for me personally, which is why I would not buy a 55" Television for computer use.

I am much more interested in the $750 4K monitor which is only 28", but has a 60Hz refresh rate.