ReCAPTCHA on checkout?

SBSpecial

I don't know a lot specifically to do with ReCAPTCHA however I understand the idea behind it.

Would making people fill out a ReCAPTCHA at checkout not be a way to stop scalpers?

15 second obstacle is not going to stop people from buying and reselling at higher prices. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

15 second obstacle is not going to stop people from buying and reselling at higher prices. 

But it'll probably stop many bots from scalping because the average person won't have to deal with Captcha so that barrier will allow more individual people to get their hands on a GPU before a bot will.

29 minutes ago, SBSpecial said:

I don't know a lot specifically to do with ReCAPTCHA however I understand the idea behind it.

Would making people fill out a ReCAPTCHA at checkout not be a way to stop scalpers?

Recaptcha is a terrible antibot.

It stops some, but not most.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That'll take at least a few seconds to complete, assuming it's 100% accurate which it will never be. Which is enough time for a person to add a GPU to cart and check out. 

That was my thought process. While we don't have a solution YET to completely stop bots we can at least try to slow them down in order to hopefully get them into the hands of others.

3 hours ago, SBSpecial said:

No.

Captcha's can be solved by bots or solved by humans via amazon mechanical turk. 

At best, all captcha's do is delay things, which is why they're still used. In fact things are going in the opposite direction now where captchas are now actively harmful when used by systems like Cloudflare CDN because all captcha's were intended for was "spam-able" situations, like comment fields on forums. That can take the spam rate down from 1000's per minute to 1's per hour.

Putting them on stores however, doesn't solve anything. If you were to put one on a store, all you're doing is frustrating and denying a sale.  If you're trying to throttle back a high-depand item, then all that happens is those with the most amount of human "bots" win.

11 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Now the bummer:

1. The human needs to complete the captcha too.

2. At least for me this addon is more or less equal to me doing it by hand.

3. The bot is faster then you in the remaining order process and with that even if the captcha is 2 seconds slower he probably would still be the winner.

4. You can stream line it by only using the first response (voice recognition service) instead of waiting for every to come in.

1. 99% of the time a human doesn't need to complete the captcha, unless they use a VPN, or have a newly setup computer/account. I haven't had to do a captcha in months, whenever there's a tick

2. Not applicable to most people as most of the time they won't need to complete a captcha.

3. It's 5 seconds slower, I tried it myself, the sound byte takes about 5 seconds. Assuming you already have an account on the respective website with your details, a bot wouldn't catch up.

4. Waiting for every what? Sound bytes take about 5 seconds to play and the captcha google has tracks your actions and it's pretty obvious there's a bot if they're able to complete the captcha faster than it plays the sound.