Well, we all saw it coming... Google Photo infinite storage had to end some day, that day was las week and I am not paying for more cloud storage like most sensible people.

I still haven't decided what to do but it will involve a home NAS, not now, but next year for sure.

Meanwhile I have to keep storing my wife's and my photos somewhere, Google Photo will hold for sometime but I need to start getting in the habit of storing my photos and videos in one single place, possibly at home this time.

I started re-considering iPhoto on MacOS, I have an old Mac with a time machine backup routine that will give me some peace of mind for the moment but it was a very long time ago I last used it.

Getting to my point, how is iPhoto working these days? Last time I remember once I got my photos into iPhoto I could choose the Albums to sync, via iTunes, with my iPhone 3GS or iPod to take on the go but since iTunes lost its importance or got trashed altogether, I'm not informed, how do you keep your photos around in your iPhone right now?

I'll point out the iPhone 4s was my last iPhone after I switched to Android but I'm considering returning to iPhones again for better integration with iPhoto.

Thank you for your time.

iPhoto is no longer called iPhoto, now it's just called Photos. I don't know if iPhoto works with newer iphones, or Androids, but it probably will.

Alternatively, Windows Photos. It has an import feature that imports all downloaded photos on the camera roll of the connected device.

I've got an iPhone 4s, very heavily modded on the hardware and software side, and it works perfectly with Windows Photos (Don't know if that has to do with the jailbreak or not), and my friend's Android works well with it too. I would recommend that route in the short term.

Hope this helps

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

iPhoto is no longer called iPhoto, now it's just called Photos. I don't know if iPhoto works with newer iphones, or Androids, but it probably will.

Alternatively, Windows Photos. It has an import feature that imports all downloaded photos on the camera roll of the connected device.

I've got an iPhone 4s, very heavily modded on the hardware and software side, and it works perfectly with Windows Photos (Don't know if that has to do with the jailbreak or not), and my friend's Android works well with it too. I would recommend that route in the short term.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your suggestion but Time Machine is the real reason I am considering going with iPhoto, I haven't found anything so straightforward like it for backup routines.

Just now, Drexo said:

Thank you for your suggestion but Time Machine is the real reason I am considering going with iPhoto, I haven't found anything so straightforward like it for backup routines.

Ah, that makes sense. You could try using iPhoto with Time Machine, I don't have my '09 mac with me right now, but I could try it for you in a week or so when I do. It will probably work, but not 100% guaranteed.

There is the "backup and restore" in Control Panel where you can select folders to be backed up on a certain timeline, but I will admit it's pretty clunky and not very intuitive like Time Machine is.

Here's my biggest gripe about Photos. Because of the nature of it, the entire photo library is 1 file. 1 ginormous file. It's great if you don't ever need to access the files on anything other than a mac. it preserves your albums and can sync across multiple devices, blah blah blah. But what if you want to switch to a different platform. Or use that photo in another program on your mac. You need to export it. And if you need to export a lot, or perhaps your whole photos library because you're ditching mac altogether, It's an ever loving pain. And if your photo library gets corrupted somehow, and can't be repaired or isn't backed up anywhere, or the backup is also corrupted. Well. then. You're out your entire photo library.

3 hours ago, Flannelist said:

Here's my biggest gripe about Photos. Because of the nature of it, the entire photo library is 1 file. 1 ginormous file. It's great if you don't ever need to access the files on anything other than a mac. it preserves your albums and can sync across multiple devices, blah blah blah. But what if you want to switch to a different platform. Or use that photo in another program on your mac. You need to export it. And if you need to export a lot, or perhaps your whole photos library because you're ditching mac altogether, It's an ever loving pain. And if your photo library gets corrupted somehow, and can't be repaired or isn't backed up anywhere, or the backup is also corrupted. Well. then. You're out your entire photo library.

You got a point there!

As I was mentioning at the start I am in the market for a NAS to handle all my stuff, that’s my definitive solution to centralize my data but it’s a new concept for me so I’m taking this year to research all the info I need to decide what to buy since I’m split between a DIY solution with TrueNAS OS or a Synology that has some great software for managing photos, videos and a load of other services.

MacOS Photos was my temporary solution and matter of fact the way it organizes the images and videos in a single photo library file was one of the things I appreciated the most but I haven’t considered it that far as you.

Do you suggest some other way to manage my photos?   

Having your only backup at home isn't a good idea. You want it offsite. If you have a house fire in the middle of the night, that's it. It's all gone. If the drive array dies or gets an electrical surge... etc.

Fundamentals of data redundancy say that you need two backups that aren't in the same location.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2021 at 9:49 PM, Flannelist said:

It's not a file; it's a folder. Right click on your library and select "Show Package Content", et voilà.