Red or brown switches

mabcc54

Question about mechanical keyboards: I’ve always used membrane keyboards but have decided to purchase a mechanical keyboard. There’s currently no way for me to physically test keyboards ( Ontario lockdown) and I’ve narrowed it down to red or brown switches. Given the choice, what do you prefer? 

also looking at a mouse, leaning towards the steel series apex 7 + rival 3 or Hyperx Haste + origins alloy. Any feedback would be great, TIA 

Honestly the switches are just as different as every keyboard that uses them. Only difference is that in general the browns are louder and harder to click than the reds but this again is up to the keyboard itself as it would not be the first time it would be totally the opposite.

9 minutes ago, geo3 said:

This is not even remotely accurate. 

Reds are meant to have little resistance and be a linear press and browns are tactile switches with slightly greater resistance. So I don't see why my simplification is wrong here?

2 hours ago, mabcc54 said:

Question about mechanical keyboards: I’ve always used membrane keyboards but have decided to purchase a mechanical keyboard. There’s currently no way for me to physically test keyboards ( Ontario lockdown) and I’ve narrowed it down to red or brown switches. Given the choice, what do you prefer? 

also looking at a mouse, leaning towards the steel series apex 7 + rival 3 or Hyperx Haste + origins alloy. Any feedback would be great, TIA 

Red switches and the apex 7 is a keyboard btw so the rival 🙂

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

Reds are meant to have little resistance and be a linear press and browns are tactile switches with slightly greater resistance. So I don't see why my simplification is wrong here?

The tactile bump is so negligible that browns are basically just scratchier reds. Spring weight is the same and they are definitely not louder.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

No, they're the same weight. And browns are not louder, that's  just a matter of how you type. The only difference is one is linear and the other is tactile. 

59 minutes ago, geo3 said:

No, they're the same weight. And browns are not louder, that's  just a matter of how you type. The only difference is one is linear and the other is tactile. 

They're not? The official spec says they are not the same. Like this information is literally their official spec sheet.

red and brown are juste so general ... there's a big difference in brown switches feeling from one maker to the other ... cherry mx brown feels like scratchy reds (awful), kailh brown actually feels tactile and heavier than cherry brown ... so just saying red vs brown doesn't mean much in the start, you have to state the brand of the switches too at least. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD