If humans cant solve the halting problem does that mean we can be simulated by a computer

you can program a Turing machine to do anything calculatable and with enough training and time a human can do anything calculatable just food for thought 

19 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

you can program a Turing machine to do anything calculatable and with enough training and time a human can do anything calculatable just food for thought 

As matter of fact humans are programmed,the rules and terms are written in our DNA.

But if we crack the code of our DNA and reverse engineer it - We will be able to program ourselves and change the limitations we have and the way we function.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

25 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

you can program it to know it's limitations

But knowing a limitation doesn't equal understanding that limitation. We knew things fall if you let them go since the dawn of mankind, but we didn't understand why until the last few centuries. I think this is where we diverge. As far as I understand it a Turing machine gives a description on how to compute, not how to understand. Going with @Vishera's example of space simulations, if you put the known phyiscal laws into a Turing machine and let it go it'll simulate a universe with those rules and those rules only. It will never invent a new force and change the simulation, because it doesn't "know how", it just computes what it has been told to compute.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 minutes ago, tikker said:

But knowing a limitation doesn't equal understanding that limitation. We knew things fall if you let them go since the dawn of mankind, but we didn't understand why until the last few centuries. I think this is where we diverge. As far as I understand it a Turing machine gives a description on how to compute, not how to understand. Going with @Vishera's example of space simulations, if you put the known phyiscal laws into a Turing machine and let it go it'll simulate a universe with those rules and those rules only. It will never invent a new force and change the simulation, because it doesn't "know how", it just computes what it has been told to compute.

but aren't we just following the programing of our dna

Just now, Linus No Beard said:

but aren't we just following the programing of our dna

The difference is that we were programmed to learn,the space simulation was programmed to just follow specific rules of physics and nothing more.

The limitation is still the rules and terms of the software,just like we can program computers that can learn like machine learning technology.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

The difference is that we were programmed to learn,the space simulation was programmed to just follow specific rules of physics and nothing more.

The limitation is still the rules and terms of the software,just like we can program computers that can learn like machine learning technology.

but we can program a Turing machine to learn what do you think machine learning is

1 minute ago, Linus No Beard said:

but we can program a Turing machine to learn what do you think machine learning is

That's the point - If you want the machine to learn you have to program it to learn,It will follow what it was programmed to do.

Just now, Vishera said:

That's the point - If you want the machine to learn you have to program it to learn,It will follow what it was programmed to do.

and that is the point i am trying to get at with enough time and the right programing a Turing machine could fully simulate a human

Just now, Linus No Beard said:

and that is the point i am trying to get at with enough time and the right programing a Turing machine could fully simulate a human

As long as humans don't understand the whole code of their DNA and how the body and brain work - humans won't be able to fully simulate a human.

With partial understanding of it we can only partially simulate a human like in video games.

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

As long as humans don't understand the whole code of their DNA and how the body and brain work - humans won't be able to fully simulate a human.

With partial understanding of it we can only partially simulate a human like in video games.

yes which why i have been stressing WITH THE RIGHT PROGRRAMING 

8 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

Except you'd never know if it were the right programming because we don't know if the "is computer a human" program halts.

(semi-/s)

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | a 10G NIC (pending) | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

2 hours ago, Linus No Beard said:

we are talking about a theoretical machine with an unlimited tape and does not break down and does not succumb to entropy

Hence Logical Hubris.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

2 hours ago, tikker said:

Would a Turing machine know it can never resolve the halting problem?

No, because that would mean knowing whether the program will halt.

We also can't do that because it creates a paradox.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Linus No Beard said:

you can program it to know it's limitations

No, you can't. You can't program a Turing machine to know if, for an arbitrary program, the halting problem can be solved.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Machine learning isn't some magic that suddenly makes computers like humans. It's still following rules to find patterns or something and honestly advanced as the tech is, it's still not like an actual  human. We don't have a general AI yet either. An AI that plays Go will be best at playing Go. One that plays DOTA will be best at DOTA. Ask the former to play the latter and you'll get nowhere.

It's not much of a discussion if you just go "we have the required compute power, correct understanding, right programming etc. so we know what to simulate". Of course the answer is yes in that scenario. The problem is that we don't know this yet. We don't know what the "right programming" is. We don't understand what a human is or what is required to simulate it. Some parts of humans will be easier to implement: if hungry then eat,  if thirsty then drink. Others not so much. When will the human decide to play videogames? When it gets bored? What decides when it gets bored, a random number generator? Our consciousness is still very much unknown.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No, because that would mean knowing whether the program will halt.

We also can't do that because it creates a paradox.

Oh nice one. Didn't realise that. That's a nice proof that human != turing machine I guess then haha.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

Oh nice one. Didn't realise that. That's a nice proof that human != turing machine I guess then haha.

But humans can't do that either 😉 you can't know if the halting problem can be solved for any given program. Try going over Turing's original example and see if you can answer it as a human.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

But humans can't do that either 😉 you can't know if the halting problem can be solved for any given program. Try going over Turing's original example and see if you can answer it as a human.

Hmm, the intention of my original statement was more whether a Turing machine would even be able to somehow deduce(compute) that there is a halting problem. If it can't do that without creating a paradox, wouldn't us proving the problem to exist proof that we aren't a Turing machine? I'm probably missing some things. Time to dive deeper. Although we humans indeed also don't know if we'll find a proof and halt when we set out to proof something...

Just now, tikker said:

Hmm, the intention of my original statement was more whether a Turing machine would even be able to somehow deduce(compute) that there is a halting problem. If it can't do that without creating a paradox, wouldn't us proving the problem to exist proof that we aren't a Turing machine? I'm probably missing some things. Time to dive deeper. Although we humans indeed also don't know if we'll find a proof and halt when we set out to proof something...

You might be able to write a program that detects some unsolvable instances of the halting problem, for example you could specifically look for Turing's example, but not for an arbitrary program. I don't know the math well enough to prove this to you myself but I found this. And more intuitively, you can see that if you want to determine if a halting problem can be solved for any program then on some programs that would involve waiting until they halt to check whether the oracle was correct, which of course is itself the halting problem.

This is a problem that is just mathematically impossible to solve; it's not a physical limitation of the Turing machine, it's just something we don't have a way of solving.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Part of why people get into heated arguments about this topic is that they think they'll become famous or something if they "crack the code" and prove that -

• We're all living in a simulation, or...
  • The human brain is just a big turing machine, or...
  • Turing machines are better than human brains, or...
  • Something even weirder

If you take out the ego-centric bias, and start searching for actual discoveries related to consciousness, you start finding some really interesting stuff though.

For example:

https://people.duke.edu/~ng46/topics/evolved-radio.pdf

Summary:

They used real analog circuits. The result was that they got results impossible to get if they just "simulated the circuit."

The real analog circuit evolved a way to pick up nearby radio signals. The scientists had never programmed it to do this, it just "figured it out on its own."

The human brain figures stuff out on its own. It is likely something like what happened in this paper will lead to better insights into human consciousness.

I personally dont think we are a game of sims.

Holy fuck Scott The Woz