Should I buy the valve index?

cadabri

I recently sold my original Vive with the plan of getting the index, however, It's been listed on Facebook marketplace for around 5 months before I got a reasonable price on it. I now have enough to afford the index, however, my concern is that valve will release a new headset in the near future since its been a while since the index was released. Should I get it or hold off?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Can't say. There's no hint or clue about what Valve is planning to do as far as a new VR headset (that I'm aware of).

I do have a Valve Index and I do think it's pretty damn nice and legit, though I haven't touched it much lately cause Beat Saber and HL Alyx were the only vr games I have that I like (want to get more but don't know what).

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

6 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

Can't say. There's no hint or clue about what Valve is planning to do as far as a new VR headset (that I'm aware of).

I do have a Valve Index and I do think it's pretty damn nice and legit, though I haven't touched it much lately cause Beat Saber and HL Alyx were the only vr games I have that I like (want to get more but don't know what).

I can give you some recommendations, what type of game are you looking for? Horror, shooter, etc

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Good video, but it makes me feel even more conflicted. I'm still iffy about inside out tracking, I feel that when base stations work properly they will just innately be better than inside out, however the main reason I wanted to upgrade from the vive is I had constant issues with tracking, and with the flow sensors that seems like it could close the gap. Its also mentioned that there is likely to be an addon which could be interesting, becaue it doesnt seem like there were any major actual screen improvements or anything based on speculation. 

I think what I am going to do is get the index, and if the tracking works fine on it and I don't have the same issues I had with the vive, I'll keep it, however if I have tracking issues I will return it and wait for the next gen. 

I've had a Vive then Quest and Quest 2, and inside-out tracking from the Q's has always worked perfectly fine for me, definitely better than the lighthouses on the Vive, not to mention being way more convenient so I really would see outside tracking as a drawback (unless you want to do full body / object tracking obviously). 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

I've had a Vive then Quest and Quest 2, and inside-out tracking from the Q's has always worked perfectly fine for me, definitely better than the lighthouses on the Vive, not to mention being way more convenient so I really would see outside tracking as a drawback (unless you want to do full body / object tracking obviously). 

Gotta say my quest 1 tracking frequenly sucks but maybe because it was thrown across the room at a party (dont ask please)

works fine otherwise tho

phone out of service?

give us a call.

4 hours ago, cadabri said:

I can give you some recommendations, what type of game are you looking for? Horror, shooter, etc

Shooter / Action. No horror.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

43 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

Well first and foremost is Superhot if you haven't played it already, Raw Data is super good, Pavov is a CS go type game and Onward is another multiplayer shooter. Budget cuts is good. Arizona sunshine is a semi horror game but the shooting is really tight in it. And a non shooter / action recommendation is Thumper, a really good rhythm game that can be played normally, but in VR is just more immersive. 

9 hours ago, Inception9269 said:

Superhot VR is a must. Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades is a fun gun sim to play around in. The Serious Sam VR games are entertaining if you like them and have cemented your VR legs.

For story driven games I enjoyed both episodes of The Gallery (Call of the Starseed and Heart of the Emberstone). Finally Beat Saber should also be in everyone's library. Neither of these have much shooting though, but BS I call "action" in some way 😛

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB